Pig Farmers In Thailand Up In Arms Over U S Pressure

webfact

The Thai farmers have every right to be concerned. The US is excellent at this trick. First, the US trade organizations pressure foreign countries to open up their markets to US (agricultural) exports. Then, if local farmers band together politically to have trade barriers erected, and the country in question has already signed free-trade agreements with the US (which many foreign countries have in one of many roundabout ways), the US takes that country before the WTO to have penalties assessed. The problem is two-fold: (1) it is entirely hypocritical to subsidize your industries and then punish other countries, in the name of "free-trade", for imposing tariffs and (2) consumers (way outnumbering farmers) have everything to gain by having cheaper foods at their disposal. For this reason, it is politically dicey to disallow the US access to Thai markets, as consumers want the short-term benefits of cheaper goods all while ignoring the long-term costs of funneling profits and industrial might to the US. It might be tempting to jump to the support of Thai farmers willy-nilly, but the fact is that many are uncompetitive and offer the consumer a lower-quality product at higher prices. You can't stop change. You can slow it down, but eventually economies that are more flexible (i.e. more dynamic and less-concered with the health of vested interests) will win out.

Moreover, the use of chemicals such as ractopamine and carbadox - fed to

pigs to turn their meat into a redder product - is allowed by the US

government, whereas such use is prohibited in Thailand, Surachai said.

"The import of US pork would confuse Thai consumers, as they would not

be able separate Thai products from US pork, which would result in a

high health risk due to the use of these chemicals," he insisted.

Moscow does not permit the sale of US pork, despite Russia's high growth

in pork consumption. Moscow's policy is based on the need to ensure

food safety and people's health, Surachai said.

My understanding of the situation regarding these chemicals is that they are "unofficially" in use in nearly every country mentioned in the article. There was big uproar in Taiwan in the last couple of years as this exact same situation occurred there. Angry Taiwanese farmers and those representing them began to exploit the chemicals-in-the-meat talking point as a way of trying to sway public opinion in the debate. Ultimately, the farmers lost out, as the public was largely apathetic towards heir plight. The interesting thing was, though, that the very same chemicals had long been used by Taiwanese farmers themselves. In other words, this chemicals-are-bad argument is cynical and fundamentally aimed at exciting the fears and anxieties of consumers.

So ban taiwanese pork too.

No, I'm afraid you missed the point. The mention of chemicals is a rhetorical/political strategy to stir up deap-seeded fears of chemical contamination. Reading stories like this, you'd think American pork was nothing short of Chernobyl bacon. Fact is, chemicals are used in the food production process in every country. At least we know the chemicals in the American pork. What chemicals are used by farmers in Thailand when curing meats and for preservatives and dyes? When I look at any meat product made by CP, a thousand questions enter my mind. Why is that chicken so unbelievably soft and tender and salty? What's going in there? It would be really interesting to get an audit of the Thai meat-packing process...unfortuantely, that probably won't happen, as it almost surely wouldn't be in the best interests of Thailand's agri-business sector.

• Like 1

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A post has been removed from view and a member warned for violating this forum rule:

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

According to the WTO, as far as I know, it's legal for Thailand to apply a tax or tariff on import products that are subsidised and then exported by another government. This should help keep Thai pork competitive in the pork market.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No, I'm afraid you missed the point. The mention of chemicals is a rhetorical/political strategy to stir up deap-seeded fears of chemical contamination. Reading stories like this, you'd think American pork was nothing short of Chernobyl bacon. Fact is, chemicals are used in the food production process in every country. At least we know the chemicals in the American pork. What chemicals are used by farmers in Thailand when curing meats and for preservatives and dyes? When I look at any meat product made by CP, a thousand questions enter my mind. Why is that chicken so unbelievably soft and tender and salty? What's going in there? It would be really interesting to get an audit of the Thai meat-packing process...unfortuantely, that probably won't happen, as it almost surely wouldn't be in the best interests of Thailand's agri-business sector.

You are absolutely 100% correct. I know some additives used in pork here in Thailand, trash sitting outside the house (food for the livestock), contaminated water, anything that the families won't eat. At least in the USA and other western countries with feed control measures in place we know what the animals are being fed as it's a legal requirement by law, at least it is in the USA:)....

Thailand doesn't need GMO fed swine.. The US can keep its ractopamine and carbadox poisons!! Go Thailand!!

The US is now killing off any type of pigs that aren't the pink domestics in many places. To me, taking the diversity out of the genes is similar to genocide of a species..

Thailand has food prices that are about 1/8 of the US prices, I don't think the US should be giving advice on how to bring food prices down.

Thailand doesn't need GMO fed swine.. The US can keep its ractopamine and carbadox poisons!! Go Thailand!!

The US is now killing off any type of pigs that aren't the pink domestics in many places. To me, taking the diversity out of the genes is similar to genocide of a species..

Thailand has food prices that are about 1/8 of the US prices, I don't think the US should be giving advice on how to bring food prices down.

Your right Thailand doesn't legally feed GMO to swine but instead they feed them the garbage sitting on the side of the road smile.png - as stated earlier you are what you eat and so is the pig. Why do think prices are cheaper, well here is the reason, because there are no rules in place stating what the minimum requirements of feed are for the livestock, if so the meat would be more expensive. But please feel free to show everyone here that I am wrong (won't happen) in regards to what the feed requirements are and that in fact they are followed and legally enforced. Pig eats trash = trash meat, Pig eats feed stock = healthy meat... You also seem to be missing one of the points. The US produces meats that have NO ADDITIVES, NO GMO which is what would be imported into Thailand. Why, because Thailand doesn't allow GMO in it's meats so there is no issue here, it's just a bunch of protectionist crying and one sided selling.

To each their own, eat what you want but recognize that free trade is free trade and in time countries will have to equalize trade agreements just like what is happening with the Asia Free Trade Agreement soon unless Thailand pulls out which wouldn't be surprising. When they do I hope and would agree that all products made in Thailand and exported to those countries are equally taxed just like those products are taxed imported into Thailand. This would include Ford, Honda, Toyota etc. because once that happens it will no longer be viable to operate those FOREIGN manufacturing plants in Thailand which would return those jobs to the home countries or to countries that embrace free trade smile.png. Only then will people get the hint as exports out of Thailand will decrease and jobs will be lost hurting the Thai economy just as it did recently when the Baht currency strengthened against other international currencies. Same thing just a different way of looking at it. Oh yes, can you please inform us what is it that Thailand produces besides after market car parts that originate from Thailand and are not from an overseas company? Not much I assure you.

There is definitely nothing wrong with being "Pro Thailand," especially if your a citizen from that country. What does remain though is common sense which seems to elude many here that don't look at things from a global perspective but rather only a polar self serving inward one.

Edited by commande

Onwards march! Globalization is near and you are set to slice its evil throat. I love these types of posts. Tell me, brave soldier, what chemicals does Thailand use in its food production process? Or perhaps I'm mistaken and, in fact, food production in Thailand is 100% organic.

Onwards march! Globalization is near and you are set to slice its evil throat. I love these types of posts. Tell me, brave soldier, what chemicals does Thailand use in its food production process? Or perhaps I'm mistaken and, in fact, food production in Thailand is 100% organic.

1/8th the price? Name some products that 1/8th the price.

When I go to Trader Joes in the US it seems quite a lot of quality foods are cheaper than in Thailand.

When I go to Trader Joes in the US it seems quite a lot of quality foods are cheaper than in Thailand.

He either doesn't know what he is talking about or shops in all the wrong places. Good quality food is either the same price or cost more in Thailand than it does in America because it's imported into Thailand so it's taxed before you even get a chance to purchase it at the store. America is not that expensive unless you live in California, NY, Rhode Island, NJ or other high cost of living cities, then again you make more money living in those cities to so it equalizes out in the end. Now in the UK, food is ridiculously priced among other things which is why most of the EXPATS retired in Thailand are from the UK. Not many Americans retiring in Thailand compared to other higher priced countries in the world, there isn't really a monetary benefit to do so.

Wait sorry, this is about pork meat... I will take my organic raised American pork all day long compared to any pork product that is raised and sold in Thailand. I know for a fact it's healthy and was raised 99.9% to standard. smile.png

Edited by commande

liter bottled water here 40 cents, US $2.00.. Og. Tobacco pouch here 15 cents, US $17.00, ~ Crab fried rice here $2.00, US $14.00 ~ Garlic here 60 cents a kilo, home $3.50 a lb. ~ Pineapple here 60 cents, US $6.00 ~ Onions here 60 cents a kilo, US $1.99 a lb. ~ womens bra here $4.00 US $30.00 ~ cheap womens shoes here $3,00 US. $25.00 ~ toothbrush here 40 cents, US $2.00.. ~cough syrup here 60 cents, US $4.99 i could go on for pages..

First of all, you don't need to purchase mass produced foods here in Thailand as there are farmers trucks passing by daily and fresh cooked meals on every corner... with these low prices i buy fruits and veggies direct from the farmer who cannot afford to use many chemicals.. In the US they are squeezing out the lone farmers with their BIG Ag. and even imposing bills to make organics illegal (HR 875 and bill S510)... I watch farmers around me all the time harvesting their Bananas, Mangoes, Chickens, Eggs and countless other foods, fruits and veggies that are surely organic.. I lived in The USA for 50 years, most people eat out of a box and the rest have no clue what they are eating because you don't need to put a label on it if has GMO's or little bits of arsenic, etc.. The US now wants to add aspartame to milk with no label whatsoever (drink up), here the farmer down the street gives me raw fresh milk, right from the cow, without antibiotics, etc..and in the USA raw milk is illegal in 39 states..

liter bottled water here 40 cents, US $2.00.. Og. Tobacco pouch here 15 cents, US $17.00, ~ Crab fried rice here $2.00, US $14.00 ~ Garlic here 60 cents a kilo, home $3.50 a lb. ~ Pineapple here 60 cents, US $6.00 ~ Onions here 60 cents a kilo, US $1.99 a lb. ~ womens bra here $4.00 US $30.00 ~ cheap womens shoes here $3,00 US. $25.00 ~ toothbrush here 40 cents, US $2.00.. ~cough syrup here 60 cents, US $4.99 i could go on for pages..

You have to compare apples to apples. For example crab fried rice from a road side stand can't be compared to a nice aircon restaurant back in the US. Especially when you factor in ambiance and health issues. And a $3 pair of shoes here isn't comparable to a $25 pair back home. That $25 pair is around $60 dollars here. Apples to apples.

But you are absolutely right, things like pineapples, which are grown locally, are dirt cheap. Most locally grown veggies are. Unfortunately, many other consumer goods that are locally made are of dubious quality.sad.png

• Like 1

I can get it at an air con restaurant here too but I really don't like Air con myself and when i eat at a biger type restaurant I feel they are more likely to buy their ingredients from a corporation.. . I like my crab right off the boat and in the US they often sell Krab nowadays and label it Crab.. would have to say good quality womens shoes back home are $75.00-$200.00.. you cannot buy shoes in the US for $3.00..period.. and the $3.00 ones here look like a $100.00 pair of shoes, whether the quality is there or not, it's an amazing dif.

Is this thread still going? Geez. My biggest complaint about food in LOS is that chemicals banned in the West are used on crops, and they irrigate feed crops with the equivalent of sewage. Next, I have no idea how the animal was slaughtered or under what nature of filth, or how it was then handled before reaching market. I absolutely hate rolling the dice at a food cart. I get sick and need a doctor every single time I visit and I can't help consuming the water. They use the water to rinse fruits and vegetables and to wash utensils and you're stuck with it.

The idea that Western foods or products are cheaper in LOS is mind blowing. The import taxes are so high its stunning what things cost.

I know it's fun to bash America, but let's just be honest and at least say it isn't LOS by a wide margin. LOS is filthy.

I can get it at an air con restaurant here too but I really don't like Air con myself and when i eat at a biger type restaurant I feel they are more likely to buy their ingredients from a corporation.. . I like my crab right off the boat and in the US they often sell Krab nowadays and label it Crab.. would have to say good quality womens shoes back home are $75.00-$200.00.. you cannot buy shoes in the US for $3.00..period.. and the $3.00 ones here look like a $100.00 pair of shoes, whether the quality is there or not, it's an amazing dif.

Agree with you on the air con issues, but a road side table with plastic chairs and cars screaming by isn't the same as a nicer restaurant. We had crab fried rice a few weeks ago at a resort here on the sea. It was 280B++, I believe. But, high end rice, quality chunks of crab, great service, and freshly cleaned dishes.

As for shoes, I'm not into looks. Just quality. My running shoes back in the US were $25. I saw them today for 2,300B. Same pair.

But we're off topic. Sorry.

• Like 1

There is a price to pay. Thailand isn't the world "hub." Two can play this game.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/US-imposes-anti-dumping-duties-on-Thai-shrimp-30207207.html

Thailand and four other countries will be subjected to anti-dumping tariffs on shrimp exports to the United States.

The US Department of Commerce (DOC) announced on May 29 that it will impose anti-subsidy tariffs of nearly 63 per cent on frozen shrimp imported from China, India, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.

Under the preliminary decision, it will impose the 2.09 per cent countervailing duties on products imported from Thailand, from China (5.76 per cent), from Vietnam (7.05 per cent), from India (11.32 per cent) and from Malaysia (62.74 per cent).

In 2012, five Asian countries exported around 258,000 tonnes of frozen shrimp worth US$2.3 billion to the US. (emphasis mine)

America is not that expensive unless you live in California, NY, Rhode Island, NJ or other high cost of living cities, then again you make more money living in those cities to so it equalizes out in the end. Now in the UK, food is ridiculously priced among other things which is why most of the EXPATS retired in Thailand are from the UK. Not many Americans retiring in Thailand compared to other higher priced countries in the world, there isn't really a monetary benefit to do so.

lol, never heard that one before. I'd say it'd be more to do with the weather, but really, if there are more UK expats here than the US, it is more than likely down to the former knowing that another country, Muang Thai, actually exists. I mean y'all are not the most geographically-inclined, is ya. whistling.gif

America is not that expensive unless you live in California, NY, Rhode Island, NJ or other high cost of living cities, then again you make more money living in those cities to so it equalizes out in the end. Now in the UK, food is ridiculously priced among other things which is why most of the EXPATS retired in Thailand are from the UK. Not many Americans retiring in Thailand compared to other higher priced countries in the world, there isn't really a monetary benefit to do so.

lol, never heard that one before. I'd say it'd be more to do with the weather, but really, if there are more UK expats here than the US, it is more than likely down to the former knowing that another country, Muang Thai, actually exists. I mean y'all are not the most geographically-inclined, is ya. whistling.gif

Well there is a reason we are not geographically-inclines as you put it. For one, America is so huge a country, not the biggest of course, that just about anything you want to see is there and it's full service like most modern countries to include it's not hugely expensive when compared to other countries such as the UK, Australia, Germany - pick a few more if you like.

The bigger reason though is most Americans only get 2 weeks of vacation a year if they are lucky and since the USA is on the other side of the world the closest places to visit are South America, Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, and if you really want a nose bleed trip a flight to Hawaii (that's considered a long trip for most American's) etc. Considering it takes approximately 16-18 hours one way on an airplane just to get to this side of the world then turn around and do it all again the way back and the expense is very high for a flight that long most American's won't travel that far. They consider it a waste of time and their time off work is short, they want to maximize their time off.

You talk to just about any American that hasn't traveled to this side of the world and they will tell you that they would love to but don't have the time or money to do it. So there you have it, most of us haven't traveled and the reason why we haven't traveled which I might add unfortunately has the effect of most American's not understanding the rest of the world as others that live on this side of the planet because everything is much closer together.

Every time I go home and people find out I have traveled all over the world that is all they want to talk about - wow that's amazing, what did you see, how are the people, what did you eat, blah, blah, blah... They can only afford to live through other peoples experiences, I try now to avoid those conversations, once I told a person I sold vacuum cleaners in Missouri just so I didn't have to talk about it anymore. smile.png

Now that I think about it, not many people plan a trip to visit the USA unless they have a lot of time off work which is another reason a lot of people don't understand American's, Mexican's, Canadian's, etc... Just to far to go and well Asia right around the corner from the UK as an example so why go that far unless it's a business trip. Don't get me wrong, America actually has a lot of tourism but as we all know it's different being a tourist waited on hand and foot versus actually living there and getting to understand the community and culture.

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

According to the WTO, as far as I know, it's legal for Thailand to apply a tax or tariff on import products that are subsidised and then exported by another government. This should help keep Thai pork competitive in the pork market.

You are 100% correct.

Of course it works the other way to.

US imposes anti-dumping duties on Thai shrimp

Thailand and four other countries will be subjected to anti-dumping tariffs on shrimp exports to the United States.

The US Department of Commerce (DOC) announced on May 29 that it will

impose anti-subsidy tariffs of nearly 63 per cent on frozen shrimp

imported from China, India, Malaysia, Thailand and Vietnam.

You are 100% correct.

Yea baby!!! Now lets see if the PIG is a big deal now LOL - so much for the subsidized shrimp exports from Thailand hahahahaha. Isn't free trade great!!! Grab your last bottle of cheap Chang boys, competition is on now. Waiting your next move. :)

• Like 1

You are 100% correct.

Yea baby!!! Now lets see if the PIG is a big deal now LOL - so much for the subsidized shrimp exports from Thailand hahahahaha. Isn't free trade great!!! Grab your last bottle of cheap Chang boys, competition is on now. Waiting your next move. smile.png

Is all I can say with this news and the other major problems the shrimp industry is having, is good luck. With the US State Dept's TIP report coming out in 2 weeks with a likely downgrade to tier 3. (Further export bans) This is the perfect storm for Thailand's fishing industry.

Thailand exports over $4 billion to the US in shrimp, (20 billion overall), but had major heartburn over an insignificant amount of US pork imports to Thailand. It is shaping up to be a very long, rough year for Thai exports.

You are 100% correct.

Payback's a bitch, ain't it? The US and Japan just keep slapping Thailand up side the head.

A small part of this is pork, most likely. The US is really upset that its "ally" Thailand has been cozying up to China and Iran. At least the US and Japan are beothch slapping Thailand, publicly.

I love Thailand. I wish they'd get it. They can't have everything their way and maintain friendships and trading partners. Dang them anyway.

With Smithfield Deal, China Expands Its American Pork Pipeline

By Justin Bachman

May 29, 2013

Announcing his company’s $4.7 billion acquisition by China’s largest pork producer, Smithfield Foods (SFD)‘s chief executive used the moment to stress how the deal is designed to send more American pork to Asia, a boost for U.S. farmers. In other words: Relax. Shuanghui International Holdings won’t be sending Chinese pigs to your local Kroger (KR) store.

“People have this belief … that everything in America is made in China,” Smithfield President and CEO Larry Pope said on a conference call today. “I like to tell people, ‘Open your refrigerator door, look inside.’ Nothing in there is made in China, because American agriculture is the most competitive and efficient in the world. This is the one place America can absolutely compete. This is exporting America to the world.”

Analysis: Behind China's U.S. pork deal, fears over feed additives

Thailand's CP Foods says considered bidding for Smithfield

By P.J. Huffstutter and Lisa Baertlein

CHICAGO/LOS ANGELES | Thu May 30, 2013 12:02am EDT

(Reuters) - When Smithfield Foods Inc. quietly weaned the first of its pigs off the controversial feed additive ractopamine last year, it may have helped open the door for a Chinese counterpart to acquire the world's largest hog producer.

Used for more than a decade in the U.S. livestock industry to help pigs quickly build lean muscle instead of fat, the additive had begun to ring alarm bells among some major meat importing countries around the globe. U.S. media reports of ractopamine-fed pigs becoming sick fueled questions among food-safety critics last year about the potential long-term impact on human health.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324412604578512722044165756.html

In 2011, Chinese health inspectors discovered clenbuterol—a food additive banned in China and the U.S.—in pork products from Henan Shuanghui Investment & Development Co., Shuanghui International's listed unit. Clenbuterol speeds muscle growth in pigs but can cause headaches, nausea and an irregular heartbeat when consumed by humans. The company apologized on its website and said it discontinued partnerships with producers using the contaminant.

As for food safety here:

http://www.freshplaza.com/news_detail.asp?id=69835

Many popular food items sold in fresh markets, roadside stalls, supermarkets and large department stores have been found to be contaminated with either bacteria or chemicals considered unsafe for consumption. The findings come from an annual survey conducted by a food safety network made up of Mahidol, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Prince of Songkla universities and the Foundation for Consumers.

In the fruit and vegetables category, 63% of orange samples were found to be contaminated with pesticides. This was followed by long beans (50%), broccoli (44%), cabbages (38%) and Chinese kale (33%).