Taxi Fares To Be Raised As Living Cost Rises

webfact

Taxi fares to be raised as living cost rises

BANGKOK, 21 May 2013 (NNT) – The Transport Ministry is considering raising taxi fares, given the rising cost of living and cab rental rates.

Minister of Transport Mr. Chadchart Sittipunt has reportedly ordered the Department of Land Transport (DLT) to go over the taxi fare rates after receiving a flood of complaints from cab drivers that rental rates and the cost of living have gone up considerably, whereas the fares remain pegged at the same rate, causing difficulties for all cab drivers to make both ends meet.

However, the minister said whether the fare will be adjusted is based on 3 factors: the starting rate, the per-kilo rate, and the rate charged during traffic snarl.

At present, the rental rate for an NGV-fuelled taxi is 650 baht per shift, and 550 baht a shift for one running on LPG.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-21 footer_n.gif

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Minister of Transport Mr. Chadchart Sittipunt has reportedly ordered the Department of Land Transport (DLT) to go over the taxi fare rates after receiving a flood of complaints from cab drivers that rental rates and the cost of living have gone up considerably

With stories like this coming out continually it's going to bite someone in the a55 eventually whistling.gif

• Like 1

Here's an idea, now remember it's just an idea...why don't they try picking up customers and working instead trying to cherry pick everyone? Then they can make their $15 a day...

That dosen't even cover the cost for rental on the cab for a day.

I would think it would go up to keep up with the cost of living.

Is the Government guaranteeing the Taxi drivers 300 baht a day?

I am not talking about all the wrongs people say they suffer at the hands of the Taxi drivers. I am sure that is just a small minority. I am talking about the right of the drivers to earn a living.

• Like 2

Not really sure what is going on, but the inflation rate under Yingluck has been staggering. As inflation always hurts poor people more than rich people, I am hoping that the bitter pill of inflation will not be forgotten by the poor people at the next election....

Just as well they don't cut interest rates and make it even worse then.

Although the flat rate hasn't gone up for a while, there have been taxi rate increases regarding link between the 'wait time' and 'distance travelled' and the two Baht ticks.

July 2008 http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/198011-new-taxi-fares-take-effect-today/
March 2012, effective June? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/540130-thai-taxi-meter-rates-set-to-increase-in-mid-april/

Edited by rubl

The flag rate has barely gone up for 20 years.

I think this is fair enough.

The rate went up within the past 5 years.

I agree there should be a minimal increase in the fares though. Maybe 1b per 'tick' on the meter or a flat 5b on the start price, anything higher than this and you start to victimize those on low income.

• Like 2

Unemployment is almost nil so if you do not like the job you are doing, go do something else instead that gives you a decent salary, we all need less taxis on the road and more decent other forms of public transportation, like air con buses, most skytrains and underground.

We all know where the heart of Yinyuck support comes from and road transportation, so anything relating to roads network and away from the rail network will keep her support.

As I said if you are not making ends meet then go do another job like construction since this is in dire need of more workers or is it you just want to sit on your a*se and rip off the tourists and smear the good name of Thailand like Phuket is doing now!!!!

Here's an idea, now remember it's just an idea...why don't they try picking up customers and working instead trying to cherry pick everyone? Then they can make their $15 a day...

I am not talking about all the wrongs people say they suffer at the hands of the Taxi drivers. I am sure that is just a small minority. I am talking about the right of the drivers to earn a living.

Taxi drivers are self-employed aren't they? Why, and how, would the government guarantee their wages over other self-employed people?

Taxi drivers are self-employed aren't they? Why, and how, would the government guarantee their wages over other self-employed people?

I'd suggest that the answer is not as black and white as your questions suggests. While many Taxi driver's are self employed they are not quite in the same bracket as a self employed noodle seller, 'mom&pop' shop, factory owner etc... Taxi's have a greater impact on the 'operation' of a city, they provide a necessary service one which if without the City is negatively impacted.

Unemployment is almost nil so if you do not like the job you are doing, go do something else instead that gives you a decent salary, we all need less taxis on the road and more decent other forms of public transportation, like air con buses, most skytrains and underground.

We all know where the heart of Yinyuck support comes from and road transportation, so anything relating to roads network and away from the rail network will keep her support.

As I said if you are not making ends meet then go do another job like construction since this is in dire need of more workers or is it you just want to sit on your a*se and rip off the tourists and smear the good name of Thailand like Phuket is doing now!!!!

Well I tell all my Ozzie friends AVOID PHUKET. Cleaner and better beaches in Queensland on the reef and NOW... THE SAME PRICE. Phuket is as expensive as going to Paris now. Watch this space next year.. Tourism will be cheap charlie chinese. big numbers.. Low money spend.

And taxis are a part of the rip off

The flag rate has barely gone up for 20 years.

I think this is fair enough.

The rate went up within the past 5 years.

I agree there should be a minimal increase in the fares though. Maybe 1b per 'tick' on the meter or a flat 5b on the start price, anything higher than this and you start to victimize those on low income.

The ones on low income, do not usually use taxi's
  • Like 2

With exceptions, I think the above mainly refers to those who hang around the tourist/farang areas. Outside my condo in Soi 11, taxi drivers sit in their cabs with engine & air-con running, playing on their smartphones while they wait for the next set of Arabs to rip-off. Obviously these poor drivers are suffering. bah.gif

650 baht per shift for NGV cars and 550 per day for LPG? Thought NGV and LPG was just different terminology for the same thing?

NGV = Natural Gas vehicle, also known as CNG = Compressed Natural Gas. Usually sold by PTT.

LPG = Liquefied Petroleum Gas or in some countries as Propane. More easily available in Thailand at private fill stations.

Also used in Thailand as a cooking gas.

There are others on this board far more qualified to describe why one is more expensive than the other and requires different handling and storage tanks.

Edited by ratcatcher

Not really sure what is going on, but the inflation rate under Yingluck has been staggering. As inflation always hurts poor people more than rich people, I am hoping that the bitter pill of inflation will not be forgotten by the poor people at the next election....

Not that I am a big fan of the PM, but let's get the facts straight. Inflation (consumer prices) in Thailand 2012 was 3.8%, amongst the lowest in SE-Asia. And better than the UK @ 4.5%! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1