Taxi Fares To Be Raised As Living Cost Rises

webfact

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not really sure what is going on, but the inflation rate under Yingluck has been staggering. As inflation always hurts poor people more than rich people, I am hoping that the bitter pill of inflation will not be forgotten by the poor people at the next election....

Not that I am a big fan of the PM, but let's get the facts straight. Inflation (consumer prices) in Thailand 2012 was 3.8%, amongst the lowest in SE-Asia. And better than the UK @ 4.5%! thumbsup.gif

Where did you get these statistics from?

We all know the Thai finance minister is prone to "little white lies" for the good of the people.

• Like 2

"causing difficulties for all cab drivers to make both ends meet." Pity really because, as far as I'm concerned, all taxi drivers the world over, can kiss their a33's

What a stupid and irrelevant post. How do you think people would get by without them??

"causing difficulties for all cab drivers to make both ends meet." Pity really because, as far as I'm concerned, all taxi drivers the world over, can kiss their a33's

What a stupid and irrelevant post. How do you think people would get by without them??

Not so irrelevant...i really cant remember the last time i used either a taxi or motocyc taxi in any country.

• Like 1

Not really sure what is going on, but the inflation rate under Yingluck has been staggering. As inflation always hurts poor people more than rich people, I am hoping that the bitter pill of inflation will not be forgotten by the poor people at the next election....

Not that I am a big fan of the PM, but let's get the facts straight. Inflation (consumer prices) in Thailand 2012 was 3.8%, amongst the lowest in SE-Asia. And better than the UK @ 4.5%! thumbsup.gif

Where did you get these statistics from?

We all know the Thai finance minister is prone to "little white lies" for the good of the people.

www.indexmundi.com

@Pib. Food and non-alcoholic beverages is 33.48% of the consumer price index!!

most of them have more money than ppl think, by not using the meter and ripping people off ! Look at Samui 400 Baht to do a journey worth 40 baht in BKK, and as for phuket, well i will say no more

The flag rate has barely gone up for 20 years.

I think this is fair enough.

The rate went up within the past 5 years.

I agree there should be a minimal increase in the fares though. Maybe 1b per 'tick' on the meter or a flat 5b on the start price, anything higher than this and you start to victimize those on low income.

low income people pay 6 baht and take the bus in Bangkok

Here's an idea, now remember it's just an idea...why don't they try picking up customers and working instead trying to cherry pick everyone? Then they can make their $15 a day...

That dosen't even cover the cost for rental on the cab for a day.

I would think it would go up to keep up with the cost of living.

Is the Government guaranteeing the Taxi drivers 300 baht a day?

I am not talking about all the wrongs people say they suffer at the hands of the Taxi drivers. I am sure that is just a small minority. I am talking about the right of the drivers to earn a living.

Taxi drivers are self-employed aren't they? Why, and how, would the government guarantee their wages over other self-employed people?

Why do they do anything?

If they are going to control how much the drivers can charge they should guarantee them a minimum wage.

Unemployment is almost nil so if you do not like the job you are doing, go do something else instead that gives you a decent salary, we all need less taxis on the road and more decent other forms of public transportation, like air con buses, most skytrains and underground.

We all know where the heart of Yinyuck support comes from and road transportation, so anything relating to roads network and away from the rail network will keep her support.

As I said if you are not making ends meet then go do another job like construction since this is in dire need of more workers or is it you just want to sit on your a*se and rip off the tourists and smear the good name of Thailand like Phuket is doing now!!!!

The reason unemployment is almost nil is because there are 100 million jobs out there paying squat. If the minimum wage were raised to an actual living wage you would see unemployment far in excess of that in the U.S., U.K and Australia. If Thailand had welfare schemes similar to those countries you would see an even greater rise in unemployment. The unemployment rate in Thailand is most definitely manufactured by government policy.

• Like 2

Here's an idea, now remember it's just an idea...why don't they try picking up customers and working instead trying to cherry pick everyone? Then they can make their $15 a day...

With exceptions, I think the above mainly refers to those who hang around the tourist/farang areas. Outside my condo in Soi 11, taxi drivers sit in their cabs with engine & air-con running, playing on their smartphones while they wait for the next set of Arabs to rip-off. Obviously these poor drivers are suffering. bah.gif

OK I gotta ask With your vast understanding of what all taxi drivers do.

Get ready.

Here it comes

What games do they play?wai2.gif

Raise the starting fare to 45 baht. There, everyone happy? Even at 45 baht starting your fare will likely be under 100 baht (unless you are doing a 90 day report). Try to get a fare that cheap anywhere in the west. Cheap bastards.

• Like 2

I would like to see the background she used to get those figures. Where I buy my orange juice the price just went from 20 baht to 25 baht. My math may be wrong as I am western educated and not using a calculator but I believe that works out to 25%.

My 190 baht diner just went up to 225 baht, Once again I am going to use my western educated mind and come up with a figure of real close to 17%

most of them have more money than ppl think, by not using the meter and ripping people off ! Look at Samui 400 Baht to do a journey worth 40 baht in BKK, and as for phuket, well i will say no more

Don't forget that that most of that 400b has to work itself up through about 5 different pairs of hands and envelopes before getting to it's final recipient.

Not so irrelevant...i really cant remember the last time i used either a taxi or motocyc taxi in any country.

So sorry to have to break the news to you but this thread is not about you.

Well really I am not sorry.

• Like 2

So sorry to have to break the news to you but this thread is not about you.

Well really I am not sorry.

555+

Rental sets them back around 800 baht/half-day. Gas another 400-500. They are lucky if they get 1500-1800 per day before costs, and so aren't going to take people when there is little chance of a return fare. Having said that, most cabbies take me where I need to go.

Edited by samran

What i actually meant was as i have my own forms of transport here i just dont find a need to use a taxi, Although i travel many others countries on a regular basis i also dont have the need for a taxi as the normal public transport systems are in place.

www.indexmundi.com

I didn't look at your reference web site too closely but it seemed to be general in nature on inflation figures in different countries. Here's the footnote on the chart I posted from the Bank of Thailand stats on it's inflation figures Also, here is a Link which will hopefully take you to the Thailand Apr 13 inflation stats where a person can see inflation stats in the numerous categories. For people who may consume one or more category more than other categories, inflation impact can vary from individual to individual...but if person eats food inflation has been higher than the overall rate.

footnote : The core consumer price index is the consumer price index excluding raw food and energy items.

Bangkok Taxi fares are one of the best bargains In the world...take a taxi in the usa or Europe or down under for about ten miles and see what you pay....and yes I know all about big cars and and nice drivers that mostly speak English but I also know about paying fares that are way way way higher than Bangkok and having taxi drivers in usa also expect/demand a big tip on top of a big fare....

I guess I am one of the fortunate few that rarely has any problems with bkk taxi drivers....I have had a few times where I had to wave down two or three before I could find one that would turn on the meter for an airport run but it really has never been a big deal as I always allow some extra time anyway.....and yes it can be a little tough when pouring rain but that seems to be the same everywhere.

Of course Phuket and a few places in Thailand are ruled by taxi mafias and are absurd......but all in all the Bangkok bunch is a bargain and in my opinion are generally a clean car and decent service.

• Like 2

Lower the 35 baht starting fee to 15 and double the baht/kilometre from 1.5 to 3, imo, also slightly increase standstill traffic rate

Or whatever math results in a fair wages increase for drivers, and makes them indifferent to journey distance and traffic

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

It bugs me too sometimes, but do you really think they don't know how best they can make the most money per shift? They are cherry picking because that's what works best for them ... not best for you and me ... but for them. And if I were in their shoes I'd probably be doing the same thing.

i agree rates are a bit low in BKK, but also agree that they only want quick turn around fares. When i am in the city and try to catch a cab home i normally need to open 10 doors before i get a yes. the fare to my place would cover half the rental for the day but many dont want to take it.

• Like 1

Saw a line of cabs today in front of a government building waiting for i dont know what. they were all just sitting around not doing anything. within 1 kilometer i saw at least 5 people waiting by the side of the road trying to flag down a taxi....

Why don't they increase the fare annually by the rate of inflation + 2%? If the inflation rate is 4% per year then each year they're not given a raise they are in effect getting a pay cut. Take into account the compound effect of inflation, over five years that's a massive pay cut.

www.indexmundi.com

I didn't look at your reference web site too closely but it seemed to be general in nature on inflation figures in different countries. Here's the footnote on the chart I posted from the Bank of Thailand stats on it's inflation figures Also, here is a Link which will hopefully take you to the Thailand Apr 13 inflation stats where a person can see inflation stats in the numerous categories. For people who may consume one or more category more than other categories, inflation impact can vary from individual to individual...but if person eats food inflation has been higher than the overall rate.

footnote : The core consumer price index is the consumer price index excluding raw food and energy items.

soi41,

And just to clarify, yes, I agree the consumer price index, also referred to as Headline Inflation, includes food & energy costs. While the core inflation relate excludes raw food and energy items. And these different terminologies confuse many, to include me sometimes, especially when govt press releases sound like a monthly real estate sales release...a release worded which even makes a nose diving real estate market sound like "it's a good time to buy!!!" And of course each country has a different "basket of products/services" it uses to determine it inflation rate....like those items listed in the Bank of Thailand link/webpage.

I guess what I'm trying to say is whether you use the core or consumer price indexes which includes many category of items, for many individuals certain categories (like food and fuel) can consume a majority of their income like for taxi drivers. For other folks, the mortgage on their home and their vehicle loan may consume the majority of their income which would probably be a low inflation rate. For me, I think Chang Draught beer is maybe consuming too much of my income...and I noticed it has went up from Bt452 to Bt467 over the last week...a 3.3% increase...and its been less than a year since the last increase.

But since categories like food apply to everyone who wants to stay alive, I take govt press releases on core/consumer price index with a big grain of salt...and instead look at the inflation rate of the individual categories of products/services, especially those products/service which I consume a lot of. Yeap, inflation impact can vary from individual to individual based on their current liabilities, needs, desires, etc. Preaching to the choir I know. Cheers.

Pib

People being paid fairly, where will we all go where everything is cheap then, Cambodia?

Of course people being paid fairly should also be offering a service worthy of it. Taxis with seat belts removed, being driven dangerously by drivers who don't know their way around, which is often the case (all three) isn't.

• Like 1

Why don't they increase the fare annually by the rate of inflation + 2%? If the inflation rate is 4% per year then each year they're not given a raise they are in effect getting a pay cut. Take into account the compound effect of inflation, over five years that's a massive pay cut.

I seem to remember that some years ago some government official gave an justification why the fares have been increased very little over the past years which was that most taxis have switched to LPG and NGV instead of gasoline and therefore their gas costs per km have reduced significantly already. In my opinion it kind of makes sense, however some increase seems to be justified.

I believe that the best would be to increase the fare per minute when the taxis have to stand in traffic. This is the main reason why they often refuse to take the passengers in expectation of traffic. They are usually quite happy to go long distances with little traffic expected, so the current baht/km fare is not a problem.