Pros And Cons Of Having A Thai Passport?

Chittychangchang

Greetings members.

Wife gained British citizenship yesterdaypartytime2.gif All very formal and splendid in a stately home with the counties Lord Lieutenant and Mayor presentsmile.png .

Inside the envelope containing her naturalization certificate was an application for a British passport.thumbsup.gif

My question is once she has her British passport, what is the point of having the Thai passport as it's difficult to travel on and she will still have her Thai ID card?

Regards

CCCdrunk.gif

• Like 1

For me, I'd rather phrase it this way - are there any major disadvantages?

IMO it's always good for the sake of flexibility to have multiple citizenships. You never know the future maybe you should investigate becoming a Thai citizen yourself if you're ever living here for a period of years.

And if you ever want to take advantage of being the spouse of a Thai national. . .

Finally, in her heart she'll always be Thai, I would be very surprised if a Thai would be happy to give up their citizenship.

• Like 1

If you're thinking that she can just stop renewing her Thai passport every 5 years to save 1000 Baht (or 200 Baht a year) because surely a Thai ID card is enough to enter Thailand at an airport then you / your wife have got another thing coming.

I once left my Thai passport on a flight coming back from the UK and my Thai ID card was stored in my luggage which I could not access; maybe it was just my misfortune to run into some jobsworths but it resulted in several hours of bureaucratic buggery that do not wish to ever repeat.

She can't go to ASEAN or Russia for 30 days visa-free on a British passport like she can on a Thai passport either.

Wikipedia : Visa requirements for Thai citizens.

Edited by Trembly

Note that if there's no need for the PASSPORT itself, not a big deal until you want to return to Thailand.

Giving up CITIZENSHIP requires taking active steps, she'll keep that her whole life by default, and can always replace a lapsed passport through her embassy, just realize it takes a while. . .

If you're thinking that she can just stop renewing her Thai passport every 5 years to save 1000 Baht (or 200 Baht a year) because surely a Thai ID card is enough to enter Thailand at an airport then you / your wife have got another thing coming.

I once left my Thai passport on a flight coming back from the UK and my Thai ID card was stored in my luggage which I could not access; maybe it was just my misfortune to run into some jobsworths but it resulted in several hours of bureaucratic buggery that do not wish to ever repeat.

She can't go to ASEAN or Russia for 30 days visa-free on a British passport like she can on a Thai passport either.

Is it ok if you have your ID?

I know it's OK for a British citizen to enter the UK without a passport.

how would you get on a plane, If you did not have a pass port.

-

I guess you're talking about boarding the plane with the UK passport but then entering Thailand as a Thai without a passport?

I think there isn't a country in the world that would turn their citizen away at their own border crossing if you can prove your citizenship.

However you really want to slide on through meeting the normal expectations, never mind the technicalities.

International travel's enough of a hassle already these days.

-

I guess you're talking about boarding the plane with the UK passport but then entering Thailand as a Thai without a passport?

I think there isn't a country in the world that would turn their citizen away at their own border crossing if you can prove your citizenship.

However you really want to slide on through meeting the normal expectations, never mind the technicalities.

International travel's enough of a hassle already these days.

True - I thought of saving some money when going to the UK last year by not renewing my kids passports, but then thought there might be a problem if something unexpected happened.

You can get through immigration with just an ID card, but being on the wrong side of the immigration desk at an airport with just an ID card is a big hassle and gives bigoted, narrow minded and xenophobic immigration officers a field day.

• Like 1

True - I thought of saving some money when going to the UK last year by not renewing my kids passports, but then thought there might be a problem if something unexpected happened.

-

Yes if the only motive is to save a little time and money, that would IMO be silly, keep travel docs current and ready to go, especially if you have family on the other side and may need to hop on a plane quickly.

-

Yes if the only motive is to save a little time and money, that would IMO be silly, keep travel docs current and ready to go, especially if you have family on the other side and may need to hop on a plane quickly.

Save very little time and money : 1000 Baht for a five year passport and same day pickup in all major Thai cities.

"I think there isn't a country in the world that would turn their citizen away at their own border crossing if you can prove your citizenship."

Getting in isn't the problem. They wouldn't have used a foreign passport for entry, so can't exit on that.

Guess they'd need to get a Thai passport to exit.

I've got two passports. No cons which I can point to.

Thai passport is brilliant for travel around SE Asia. Australian passport for everywhere else. Land ownership obviously for Thailand, plus running a business from there with no restriction.

Thanks for the reply's, she will be keeping her Thai passport.

Also thanks for clearing up the issue of entering the Kingdom with just an ID card.:wai2:

I wouldn't recommend it though. Keep the passport valid esp if travelling back to Thailand regularly. Expired passport is good for entry too.

With a Thai passport she can travel throughout Asia without the need for a visa.

Holders of British passports require visas for most Asian countries!

Use the British passport for entering and leaving European countries, and leave and re-enter Thailand on the Thai passport.

• Like 1

keep thai passport, once you give it up thai officials vindictive if you ever want to get it back. bunch of thais came to work in u.s. got american passporst, gave up thai now retired and have been trying for years to get back there thai passport not happening.

• Like 1

Already mentioned, but if she visits the happy atmosphere at any of those 90 day immigration places/photocopy parties she'll probably want to keep both passports valid. That said, to each their own... some people don't value a few hours out of a year to do those things and might use it as an excuse to break up the routine.

:)

You can get through immigration with just an ID card, but being on the wrong side of the immigration desk at an airport with just an ID card is a big hassle and gives bigoted, narrow minded and xenophobic immigration officers a field day.

Like the gentleman said in a earlier post, you are required to have passport to get on the plane to travel to your home. Airlines get fined big time for boarding an undocumented passenger, regardless of nationality. I have heard of other people being turned away at the ticket counter for expired or lost passports. But, I have seen embassies issuing "Travel letters" that allow a passenger to board the plane so the airlines will not be fined for boarding a passenger without a passport.
  • Like 1

if you are American it is illegal to enter on your 2nd passport without telling the officials. i bet it is the same in Thailand. just saying.

That would be a bet you lose.

Thailand even has provision for visa extensions for Thai citizens who enter Thailand on their foregin passports.

• Like 1

if you are American it is illegal to enter on your 2nd passport without telling the officials. i bet it is the same in Thailand. just saying.

Never heard that one before. Are you sure about that?

Yes it is possible - but meet the wrong jobsworth at the border agency, and you will wish you hadn't.-

I Can't speak for all countries but I know in Cambodia and Indionesia it cost me $25 U S for a visa the wife's was free.

Quite frankly it seems like a silly question to ask. For 200 baht a year it gives her a lot of movement in Asia.