Wai-Ing Your Way Across A Busy Road ...

Noticed a late middle aged white man crossing a busy road tonight in Pattaya (2nd road), not at a light, traffic congested but moving slowly.

As he was crossing the road he was doing a rather full WAI to each and every driver who didn't run him over.

I don't remember seeing a spectacle like that before done by either Thais or foreigners. Maybe I never noticed or maybe this is common.

It being in Pattaya, chances are half the drivers weren't even Thai.

Now I sometimes gesture to drivers while crossing roads by making a STOP sign with my right hand. I have seen lots of other people do that as well. But WAI-ing, no. (Usually, I just run!)

WAI-ing across a road --

Is this something you do? Is this something you have seen alot of? Personally I would never WAI my way across a busy road ...

Edited by Jingthing

WAI did the chicken cross the road?

Back the the WAI-guy, observing him, it looked like all that WAI-ing was just slowing him down. Sure you want drivers to SEE you but I think the general idea is to get to the other side as quickly as possible ...

I like to try to run over the people who put their hand up arrogantly as a stop sign as they cross. Just look and walk and people will give way if you give them time to stop. Wai-ing seems a little extreme.

• Like 1

I like to try to run over the people who put their hand up arrogantly as a stop sign as they cross. Just look and walk and people will give way if you give them time to stop. Wai-ing seems a little extreme.

I often wave or hold my my hand up in acknowledgement if someone gives way to me; presumably the gentleman was doing the same in his own cultural way

SC

I try not to do the stop sign thing very often. So you see that a lot? I think it's pretty common. As I said before, my main tactic is SPEED.

• Like 1

I often wave or hold my my hand up in acknowledgement if someone gives way to me; presumably the gentleman was doing the same in his own cultural way

SC

He was not Thai. What culture? Silly tourist?

I try not to do the stop sign thing very often. So you see that a lot? I think it's pretty common. As I said before, my main tactic is SPEED.

I was told (vis a vis the Philippines, but it applies pretty much everywhere - but only in relatively slow moving congested traffic)

"Know where the traffic is, and look like you don't. Let them steer round you as you walk calmly across the road, as if it was empty."

If you look like you;ve seen the car, then they will expect you to get out of the way; they won't know if you're going to go left or right, so they have no option but to go straight at you. If you haven;t seen them, they know exactly where you're going to be and they can avoid you. Of course, read the first bit. You might need to leap at the last minute...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

From a western upbringing, for me it is natural to hold my hand up in a "stop" sign gesture when crossing busy roads....if I was the driver of a car and suddenly saw a person crossing the road in busy traffic...weighing...he would get my attention immediately, as it is not something I see as a common occurrence.

Generally though, you see tourists crossing busy roads with their hands held high in a stop gesture......so if the "weighing" works then why not.

Interesting though, thanks for sharing Jing.

Cheers.

I was told (vis a vis the Philippines, but it applies pretty much everywhere - but only in relatively slow moving congested traffic)

"Know where the traffic is, and look like you don't. Let them steer round you as you walk calmly across the road, as if it was empty."

If you look like you;ve seen the car, then they will expect you to get out of the way; they won't know if you're going to go left or right, so they have no option but to go straight at you. If you haven;t seen them, they know exactly where you're going to be and they can avoid you. Of course, read the first bit. You might need to leap at the last minute...

SC

I think this must be in the Thai drivers manual.. If your coming to a stop sign and turning right, don't look to the left, you might have to stop. blink.png

Back the the WAI-guy, observing him, it looked like all that WAI-ing was just slowing him down. Sure you want drivers to SEE you but I think the general idea is to get to the other side as quickly as possible ...

A duck was standing at the side of the road waiting to cross, a chicken ran up to him and said," don't do it mate, you'll never hear the last of it".

I'll get my coat as well!

A duck was standing at the side of the road waiting to cross, a chicken ran up to him and said," don't do it mate, you'll never hear the last of it".

You're treading a fine line there, mate. Would've been better with another poultry...

SC

You're treading a fine line there, mate. Would've been better with another poultry...

SC

An ostrich perhaps...laugh.png

" As he was crossing the road he was doing a rather full WAI to each and every driver who didn't run him over. "

So, the drivers he didn’t WAI…ran over him? That's a tough road.

" As he was crossing the road he was doing a rather full WAI to each and every driver who didn't run him over. "

More importantly, did the drivers return the Wai out of politeness?

SC

Screech swerve crump

SC

Screech swerve crump

Would a polite nod suffice as acknowledgement of the given WAI?

SC

Screech swerve crump

The advice I've received is to let Thais take the lead in the Wais, in which case a prompt leap would probably be the appropriate response when a driver wai'd.

EDIT: this would be correctly described as "getting out of the Wai"

Edited by StreetCowboy
  • Like 2

/quote

Screech swerve crump

EDIT: this would be correctly described as "getting out of the Wai" /endquote

cheesy.gif

It's either "my WAI or the High WAI".

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 2

Probably not because that would need putting down the phone.

I',m worried if they take hold of the phone while Wai'ing they'll need to take their knees off the wheel

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

vroom .. wai .. screech
vroom .. wai .. screech
vroom .. ... .. bang

Ye gods! I hate this new quote thingy...... but maybe I was too busy laughing.

Thx! wai.gif

Edited by Rob8891
  • Like 1