Bangkok Eyes Unesco World Heritage Status For Chao Phraya

webfact

Heritage status eyed for Chao Phraya
Tanatpong Kongsai
The Nation

30206828-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) plans to campaign for a section of the Chao Phraya River to be listed as a Unesco World Heritage site.

Deputy Bangkok Governor Jumpol Sumpaopol yesterday said the House of Representatives' Standing Committee on Lands, Natural Resources and the Environment had resolved to push for the listing of the stretch of the river from the Phra Phuttha Yodfa Bridge (Memorial Bridge) to the Wasukree Pier to be listed as a World Heritage site by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation.

The BMA will campaign to raise public awareness of the river's importance to national and world heritage, and the need to conserve it, he said.

The chief of the BMA's Land Readjustment and Urban Renewal Division, Prapapon Junnuan, said the city had imposed regulations to control construction along the riverbanks and to keep the river clean. Besides the proposed section to be listed, she said the city would campaign for people to take better care of the Chao Phraya's riverside areas in 17 districts.

In June, the office will invite Fine Arts Department representatives to discuss an action plan and additional regulations to be implemented.

The plan was formulated and details prepared last year by the Fine Art Department on the grounds that the riverside area featured examples of outstanding architecture that were of high historical value, according to Archaeology Office director Tanapon Sisuchard.

Important sites on the Thon Buri side include Wat Prayurawongsawat, Wat Kallayanamitr Woramahawihara, Vichaiprasit Fort, Wat Arun and Bangkok Noi Railway Station, while the Phra Nakorn side's key sites include the Rachini School's Sununta Building, Wat Pho, Bawon Sathan Mongkhon Palace and Phra Sumen Fort, the director said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-24

Even if it could be listed, how on earth can it be conserved when there is rampant destruction of the river upstream which affects everything downstream! Are these people for real? These are the sorts of decisions that are made when people in power can buy their positions based on wealth/connections. They really don't know much.

First the Thai Government threatens to leave UNESCO if Cambodia can present their management plan for Preah Vihear, and now they want to add a polluted river. All makes perfect sense to me.

• Like 1

Well,

Chao Phraya river begin in Nakhom Sawan Province, with the connection of another 2 rivers, then if they want to take care about Chao Praya River, then they need to take cara first of the another 2 rivers. That is the fact! The rest is only speculations and graft!

I've always wondered why Unesco allow racial overcharging at their sites by Thais. I think that when Unesco take a site under their wing, it should be a proviso that all visitors are charged the same entrance fee and not have it based on the colour of their skin.

• Like 1

This won't go any further than this post. I love the Chao Praya also, but with the dead fish floating by, the locals using it as their bathroom, and fuel from all of the boats in the water, it can never happen.

I think this proves Thais really should be less insular. There are thousands more deserving sites than this.

And maybe wait until the ICJ ruling decides the fate of Preah Vihear before you go bothering the UN again.

The Chao Phraya is a sewer. Do they really think they can clean up say a mile of the river and it's beautiful? How about the Mississippi or Missouri rivers or the Colorado or Rio Grande? C'mon people.. lets' get real here. The sun does not rise and set on Thailand. coffee1.gif

Makes perfect sense. They are planning to campaign for this, that's all. So, they will make a budget. Then they need funds. And more funds. These funds will be allocated to...someone, something(?!!). This is what they (civil servants, officials) do, it's their reason for being (moving funds from somewhere to someone). Whether the Chao Phraya deserves/has a chance to actually become a World Heritage site is not the point. The point is that some official can disburse funds in another scheme of national prestige, that's all. Makes perfect sense. Repeating myself...

• Like 1

Thailand wants the river made a heritage site so there is an obligation to keep it clean because the country itself cannot do it.

What a bunch of panhandlers.

Frankly, I think the Pacific Ocean should be made a heritage site too because of all the maritime history. Duoh!