Ever Been To "pissintheroad"?

Are you new to Thai and Thailand, no old hand?

If not new, then you probably cannot appreciate this question unless you are hearing the Thai language for the first few times. I'm talking about when you don't really know what the speaker is saying, but all of a sudden you think you hear a word or a phrase which you somehow "know".

It was this way with me when for the first few times I heard the place name "Phitsanulok" pronounced by a native Thai speaker.

There are many examples of this hearing of strange out-of-place words we seem to recognize when we incorrectly perceive what is actually being said.

"Pissintheroad" is the example I think of as being most strange to my ear, but there are many more we all can recall while being immersed in a new culture and language.

My misperception of the spoken word for Phitsanulok when voiced by a native Thai speaker is just one example.

Can we list more?

Edited by OldChinaHam

If I may hijack the thread to provide an example of being clueless?

We had dinner, it was rather good. I had no idea what it was, but there was leftovers and my friend said he'd take it home for a snack later on. (BTW, why is it Thais can eat a massive meal and then be able to eat again in a few hours. All of my friends are emaciated eating machines.)

Anyway, the server is there and I ask, so what was this, and all I hear is kong fome. Hmm that was an interesting meal.

A few days later, we're out for dinner and I figure I'll impress everyone with my culinary knowledge. I give my order- Kong fome krap.

Huh, what, is the response. Kong fome I say again, much to the giggles of everyone.

Well for you folks fluent, you know I was asking for a delicious , pronounced glawng foam.

Oh yes, idiot boy wanted to eat a Styrofoam box. blink.png

• Like 1

It's bad enough with Thai words that mean different things in English. Seen a bar full of staff pissing themselves when the Farang staying in the room upstairs lost his key. Instead of telling the staff that he'd lost his key, he mixed English and Thai and said many times "mai-mee kee, mai-mee kee". The more the staff chuckled, the more he said it.

kee/key in English = s**t in Thai.

Just asked my wife if she had ever been to "Pissintheroad". I got the normal answer, "UGH"!

Try not to use the word 'Yet' in too many conversations if speaking in English, that can sometimes get a reaction.................smile.png

Ask your wife has she heard of P'lok, that is how a lot of Thais call Phitsanulok

I once walked through Pattaya Soi 8 with a fellow who knew it all but clearly didn't understand Thai and the girl in the bars were calling to us " Manee Manee ".

You see he repied to me, money is the only English they know.

"I wonder if any of our illustrious members hale from Sir Wankalot?"

Please provide the coordinates.

I'll check.

You do not need coordinates if you know how to direct yourself, my acquaintance...

"I wonder if any of our illustrious members hale from Sir Wankalot?"

Please provide the coordinates.

I'll check.

You do not need coordinates if you know how to direct yourself, my acquaintance...

:lol:

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app