Yellow Book --- Tabian Ban

Hello Friends

My Thai wife and I are leaving Canada to Live permanently in Thailand.

I am entering on a Non-Immigrant O Visa.

We read somewhere that when I present my Passport at the Amphur ( in order to get my name in the Yellow Book) that it must be translated into Thai.

Does anybody have any experience with this ?

thanks in advance for all your help

S.B.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Passport translation is a common requirement for the yellow book. Some also want the passport certified by the embassy as well but a certified copy is often good enough. Some also want the translation certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The best thing to do is make a trip to the Amphoe where you are going to apply to find out their requirements because it will vary from one to another.

Edited by ubonjoe

Where were you married?

You will need to register your marriage at the amphur anyway, if you didn't marry in Thailand. For that you need to have your marriage certificate certified by your embassy, translated in Thai and certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry. At that time you can use these documents for registering for a yellow book.

If already registered your marriage in Thailand, those documents should be enough as that already is an official translation of your name.

UbonJoe is correct, head to your local office and ask the requirements.

Depending on where you will be living and what the Amphur requires, be ready to wait for it.

I know guys who have picked them up after a week and me who picked mine up last week with a wait of 6 months.

I hope you have an easier time than me.

:D

Visit the Amphur first to find out what the requirements are in your particular case. There are many different permutations in each persons individual circumstances. From my experience and that of others they are unlikely to issue you a Yellow Book until you have lived in the Kingdom for at least a year.

hi what documents are needed normally? i will go to prek kret nontaburi to do this, but be nice to cover as much as possable so will take.

translation of passport

marriage cert.

kids birt cert.

house blue book

id cards

anything else? also what is the rough cost?

many thanks

That is the basic list but you might need more. Photos are required but that varies as to size.

Just go the Amphoe and see if what you have is enough.

Book should be free.

many thanks any ideas on time frame? Edited by chrisbinbkk99

That is the basic list but you might need more. Photos are required but that varies as to size.

Book should be free.

many thanks any ideas on time frame?

If you happen to find you have a district office like we have, you will not get one.

I have been here more than three years, have a Thai wife and a house. I have tried to jump through their hoops three times but they always found another hoop.

Finally they said NO. They say that they have too many farang whom they have issued a yellow book to, but they have left the country or moved away.

Good Luck...

Book should be free.

If you happen to find you have a district office like we have, you will not get one.

I have been here more than three years, have a Thai wife and a house. I have tried to jump through their hoops three times but they always found another hoop.

Finally they said NO. They say that they have too many farang whom they have issued a yellow book to, but they have left the country or moved away.

Good Luck...

oh that doesnt sound great may i ask where that is? i am only doing this for my citizenship as the local police told me it was the only missing document.... i well take all those documents with me so they understand why i need it....

thanks for the info

Good Luck...

Ask them to put the refusal in writing.

• Like 2

Good Luck...

Ask them to put the refusal in writing.

How is that going to help?

When an official says no, I suspect it is going to be difficult, if not impossible, to get them to change their mind.

Book should be free.

Good Luck...

I have some sympathy for you dealing with these kind of recalcitrants but you don't have to and should not accept this. There are rules and laws for you and there are rules and laws for them too.

All the information about the procedures that they "must" follow are available online. Obviously in Thai though. If you find them, print them out and show them, they can't just make things up.

If they do, ask for the boss and tell them you're going to complain to the Bureau of Registration Administration. They have a call centre for exactly this kind of thing. Here is the link;

http://stat.bora.dopa.go.th/callcenter1548/index.php

Book should be free.

Very good advice. I obtained mine the same day we were married at the Aumphur office. There were no translations required. My wife wrote my name in Thai and they accepted that. I needed two witnesses who had to sign a letter which the officer at the Aumphur composed,.One witness was the MIL and the other was the village head. A passport photo size photo was accepted. My wife rang the office to get the details before we went. Book issued the same day. Good luck

Book should be free.

Good Luck...

oh that doesnt sound great may i ask where that is? i am only doing this for my citizenship as the local police told me it was the only missing document.... i well take all those documents with me so they understand why i need it....

thanks for the info

We are in Chaing Mai City (Muang), Sub District Tasala. We deal with the district office in Nong Hoi.

We first went before we were married, they said we needed two witnesses.

We took two witnesses and they said it would be easy if we were married.

Subsequently we married and went along with our two witnesses, they then said we also needed a government employee.

A couple of months ago we had a government employee lined up and went (without witnesses or government employee) to arrange a time for us all to go...only to be met with the flat refusal.

Edit. Additionally, being in the City, we do not have a Puyai Baan as they do in the country.

Edited by rawhod

Per above reply from Dork, there are rules they have to follow. Asking them to put it in writing makes them reconsider their position.

That's as it may be...but you know yourself, In Thailand the rules are open to interpreted at a local level.

My wife is reluctant to try again, so Iv'e more or less given up...

Per above reply from Dork, there are rules they have to follow. Asking them to put it in writing makes them reconsider their position.

That's as it may be...but you know yourself, In Thailand the rules are open to interpreted at a local level.

My wife is reluctant to try again, so Iv'e more or less given up...

Sorry to hear that thanks for you info I will try. Well I must :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect App

Mario has all the facts correct.

I recently got my "yellow book" and didn't need my passport translated.....but required our marriage certificate translated and verified (as we were married in Australia).

Plus the wife's blue book, ID card, photos and lots of patience.

Cheers.

Mario has all the facts correct.

I recently got my "yellow book" and didn't need my passport translated.....but required our marriage certificate translated and verified (as we were married in Australia).

Plus the wife's blue book, ID card, photos and lots of patience.

Cheers.

Thanks for the info how long did the whole process take?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9300

There are many benefits, mainly registration of car and drivers license is easy as well as you can be listed in the local hospital as a resident and get treatment for free.

Documents vary from Amphor to Amphor.

I needed a translated copy of my passport endorsed by embassy an Ministry of foreign affairs

Poo yai baan to confirm I live here for some time

My wifes blue book and her id cards

This was all

the interview takes about one hour (it helps to speak some Thai) and the document took about three weeks to be ready for collection

When my wife asked about the yellow book at the local Amphur she was told that our marriage ceremony had to have been in Thailand. My response was can "only married people get a yellow book"? Yes was the answer.Also we were told that they did not have, and could not get any Yellow Books.

A couple of months later we were in the Amphur on another matter and met the new head of the Amphur. My wife asked him about the yellow book. He told us no problem and took us to a lady who was instructed to issue it ASAP. She opened a very large box under her desk and inside there were hundreds of these books. She told us they had been under her desk for the last 2 years and no one had ever wanted a yellow book.

Next afternoon she phoned, my book was ready.

BAYBOY

There are many benefits, mainly registration of car and drivers license is easy as well as you can be listed in the local hospital as a resident and get treatment for free.

Documents vary from Amphor to Amphor.

I needed a translated copy of my passport endorsed by embassy an Ministry of foreign affairs

Poo yai baan to confirm I live here for some time

My wifes blue book and her id cards

This was all 

the interview takes about one hour (it helps to speak some Thai) and the document took about three weeks to be ready for collection

Getting poo yai baan woukd be hard as I dont know them living in bangkok I guess getting a letter from my neighbours would do?

Sent from my GT-I9300

When my wife asked about the yellow book at the local Amphur she was told that our marriage ceremony had to have been in Thailand. My response was can "only married people get a yellow book"? Yes was the answer.Also we were told that they did not have, and could not get any Yellow Books.

A couple of months later we were in the Amphur on another matter and met the new head of the Amphur. My wife asked him about the yellow book. He told us no problem and took us to a lady who was instructed to issue it ASAP. She opened a very large box under her desk and inside there were hundreds of these books. She told us they had been under her desk for the last 2 years and no one had ever wanted a yellow book. 

Next afternoon she phoned, my book was ready.

BAYBOY

Hi what ampur was that? Just out of interest. .

Sent from my GT-I9300