Tank Warning Light

Anyone out there can give me an idea how many kilometres can be driven after the yellow light appears on the guage, I know it depends on a lot of variables, city or country etc and the weight of your right foot.

Lets just say driving style would be geared to maximise the distance.

Mazda BT 50, not the new one, its 3 years old.

As few as possible to ensure you do not suck up any crap in the bottom of the tank.

True but not really helpful answer.whistling.gif

Yeah fair enough but the OP is missing a lot of variables........... does the BT-50 a 2.5 or 3.0 engine ?

A safe guess (judging by the early Rangers at work) would be 60km once the light comes on.

As few as possible to ensure you do not suck up any crap in the bottom of the tank.

True but not really helpful answer.whistling.gif

Yeah fair enough but the OP is missing a lot of variables........... does the BT-50 a 2.5 or 3.0 engine ?

A safe guess (judging by the early Rangers at work) would be 60km once the light comes on.

2.5 Hi-Racer is the model. Someone asked me last night about it and I obviously didn't know the answer so cheers.smile.png

2012 BT-50 Hi-Racer Plus... 2.5 manual, never ran out and done 80 km a few times.......... Guess maybe 100 km, the 2009 D-Max would, and still not ran out... not always easy to find diesel sometimes

Edited by ignis

For what it's worth.

It's an average of 50km after the warning light is on. I tested this on 3 cars in my wild days.

In the beginning when the light is on it is exciting until you drive uphill and suddenly the warning light turns off again.. This was where the fun began.. Oh those days..thumbsup.gif

Later when i have 2 kids and a nagging wife with me i will go for my 4th attempt.rolleyes.gif

Edited by Dancealot

Check the vehicles manual. In my honda, it says when the light comes on I have 'less than 7.8 litres remaining' or something to that effect. I'm guessing you could go 50 kms as long as you aren't stuck in traffic, but usually I would go 20-30km before I filled up.

Next time you are driving and the light comes on as soon as possible fill the vehicle and note how many litres it took. The BT-50 has a 70lt tank so it should then be easy to calculate how many KM's remaining (ie; 58lt fill = 12lt remaining and at 10lt/100km you would have a range of 120km.).

• Like 1

Next time you are driving and the light comes on as soon as possible fill the vehicle and note how many litres it took. The BT-50 has a 70lt tank so it should then be easy to calculate how many KM's remaining (ie; 58lt fill = 12lt remaining and at 10lt/100km you would have a range of 120km.).

What Spoonman said is the best advice. I would do the same.

You can now get apps for your smartphone that do the maths if you aren't that way inclined.

:D

It's normally around that 50klm point in my experience in most cars/trucks I've owned.

Had a VE Holden (Chev) that had a fancy trip computer that would count down the distance you could travel on the fuel remaining. Once I was caught a long way from the next gas station and I watched the warning light come on and the trip computer said 58 klms of available fuel. Next town was 65klm away as I calculated later.

I nursed her at 80klm/h and watched the trip computer count down the kilometres. It got to only 3klm's of juice left but I still had 6klm's to travel. At about 3klms to go the computer said I had 1 klm of gas left. I made it. The computer stayed at 1klm but it was a bit hairy seeing that lone single digit on the trip computer for about 3klm of travel. I filled the gas tank up and managed to fit in 1/2 litre less than the supposed tank capacity, so I assume there was still a safety margin built into the system somewhere.

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 1

I have a bt-50 3.2 and when the low level light comes on there is 10 ltr in the tank (I filled it up as soon as the light came on)so going on this it has at least 50km left to run

I have a bt-50 3.2 and when the low level light comes on there is 10 ltr in the tank (I filled it up as soon as the light came on)so going on this it has at least 50km left to run

I have a 2.2 Ranger, it's light comes on when there is 80km left...... I would be surprised if you are getting less than 100km from that remaining 10 litres.

You can now get apps for your smartphone that do the maths if you aren't that way inclined.

biggrin.png

Does that mean I have to put the big figure before the small figure or after it or on top of it

• Like 1

This would still be in theory..

Posted Image

Does that mean I have to put the big figure before the small figure or after it or on top of it

You lost me at big.

:D

biggrin.png

You lost me at big.

biggrin.png

And to think that this whole thread started over a friend asking me how many kilo can your car do when the light comes on. In all honesty I think I've seen it once in three years. Usually fill up when it hits a quarter tank.

Probably a hangover from from cars in the sixties that had guages that were as accurate as a rubber ruler.biggrin.png