Google To Develop Wireless Networks In Third World

webfact

Google to develop wireless networks in third world

SAN FRANCISCO: -- Google is developing wireless internet systems to deploy in south-east Asia and sub-Saharan Africa to give web access to 1 billion more people, according to The Wall Street Journal on Friday.

The report said that the internet software giant would team up with local communications companies to develop the wireless networks outside major cities where wired Internet connections are unavailable, said sources familiar with the strategy.

The move would help Google gain new customers for its advertising, and the company was developing cheap Android phones that would likewise connect to the wireless network. The company has already conducted trials in Kenya and South Africa and is in talks with various governments to secure permission to use television broadcast spectrum, which enables longer-distance signals.

According to the report, Google is considering using blimps to establish the wireless networks over wide areas. Google weighing satellite and other technologies to provide broadband communications, the report said.

Access to the internet is considered key in helping poor populations rise from poverty. Some 2.5 billion of the world’s 7 billion people currently enjoy internet access, according to industry figures

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-25

• Like 1

Hey, if Google's looking at Kenya and South Africa, then Thailand ought to be right there in the running.

Plus, from what I recall, the Thai Army has a spare blimp or two that they'd probably be willing to sell to Google, at an inflated price, since the Army can't seem to keep the darned things in the air.

But of course, the blimp(s) came from America in the first place, so I'm sure that's why the Thai Army can't keep them airborne... tongue.png

• Like 1

Hey, if Google's looking at Kenya and South Africa, then Thailand ought to be right there in the running...

Yes, please, Google, please develop wireless networks in Thailand. For a start, you will probably have to link the country with a bigger cable to give Thailand more bandwidth.

• Like 2

This is what I have been waiting for. Maybe we can get a reliable connection. I hope they will route the traffic other ways than through Singapoore. Maybe we can get high speed also ? 3G in Thailand is like Edge in Europe and Broadband in Thailand is like ISDN in Europe. If they also could avoid the Thai sencorship it would be great. In Thailand they block me from sites around the world which does not have any wrong or illegal content. I think this is just a democratic thing in Thailand. Thailand is a democratic country, everybody know that.

• Like 1

Hey, if Google's looking at Kenya and South Africa, then Thailand ought to be right there in the running.

Plus, from what I recall, the Thai Army has a spare blimp or two that they'd probably be willing to sell to Google, at an inflated price, since the Army can't seem to keep the darned things in the air.

But of course, the blimp(s) came from America in the first place, so I'm sure that's why the Thai Army can't keep them airborne... tongue.png

Bite me.. coffee1.gif

America really does use them, believe it or not. They use them in Afganistan to supplement their surveillance of the local areas. Maybe the ones they sold Thailand, were shot full of holes. I wouldn't put it past them to do that....lol

I'm a very satisfied Google user. Was one of first Gmail invites.

Growing increasingly wary of its tenticles. Seriously distrusting it's motives.

Taken in total, it holds all.sorts of personal.information on users, far more than facebook.

Its getting big and creepy.

Thailand won't accept it - google taking away the future monopoly of True, Dtac and AIS?
Im sure they will be looking after their own before letting an American company come and take a piece of the pie all in the name of helping 3rd world countries.