State Of Origin Games 1, 2 & 3

It has already been sanitised enough. I started watching league in 1976 (a year after my first West Ham game, oddly as I lived in Sydney) and it was much dirtier. But in order to attract big money sponsors and for mothers to let their kids play, they had to clean it up.

Same in football. Used to love seeing Frank Lampard, the real one, socks rolled down making his presence felt. Same with Julian.

My first football game was in '75 with Frank Lampard and co away to Tottenham in the League Cup though I've yet to see an RL game. What's the atmosphere like in the derbies? The Dogs supporters look like a right bunch of 'Ruddy Hoolighans', as Bill Pertwee used to saysmile.png . Do you get to many games nowadays, TW?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in England now so I'm a season ticket holder at West Ham.. My first game was also in 1975 at home to Chelsea not long before the cup final. Years later, I found out it was Curbishley's debut.

The atmosphere at Australian games is different. There isn't much of a tradition of singing and the crowds are less testosterone driven. The only real singing I heard were from a group of Souths fans that sing English football songs badly. I like the old grounds better - Leichhardt and Penrith for example. The Olympic stadium is too big for a crowd of 20k and West Ham will need to get the redevelopment of the London OS just right to not kill the atmosphere.

I'm in England now so I'm a season ticket holder at West Ham.. My first game was also in 1975 at home to Chelsea not long before the cup final. Years later, I found out it was Curbishley's debut.

The atmosphere at Australian games is different. There isn't much of a tradition of singing and the crowds are less testosterone driven. The only real singing I heard were from a group of Souths fans that sing English football songs badly. I like the old grounds better - Leichhardt and Penrith for example. The Olympic stadium is too big for a crowd of 20k and West Ham will need to get the redevelopment of the London OS just right to not kill the atmosphere.

It seems pretty friendly without any segregation. though it does seem to attract a lot of wild looking bints. I've also noticed some poor turn outs at some of the games, especially in the ANZ stadium. Some of the smaller NRL places remind me of lower league football grounds where you can see the mainroad outside and people driving past from the pitch or those banked green picnic areas, (must be an excellent day out)..

BTW In 1975 I was living in Memorial avenue E15. At the end of it was the old ground where you could still see one of the old wooden stands. Curbishley used to go to school in nearby Barking Rd.

I think Gallen should have got 10 in the bin ......Myles had his arms down and was cold cocked, had He has his hands up fair game no problems I thought it was a dog act by a well known dog.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It seems pretty friendly without any segregation. though it does seem to attract a lot of wild looking bints. I've also noticed some poor turn outs at some of the games, especially in the ANZ stadium. Some of the smaller NRL places remind me of lower league football grounds where you can see the mainroad outside and people driving past from the pitch or those banked green picnic areas, (must be an excellent day out)..

BTW In 1975 I was living in Memorial avenue E15. At the end of it was the old ground where you could still see one of the old wooden stands. Curbishley used to go to school in nearby Barking Rd.

I agree with both of you.

The smaller suburban ground when full has atmosphere.

When I lived in London, it was up the road from the old Arsenal ground and I once went to a Arsenal/Liverpool game. Great atmosphere ... till one of the Liverpool fans threw a lit red flare into the home crowd ... that's bullshit .

What, as an Aussie, I appreciate the most is when, at the Cricket, the Barmy Army find their voice. I'd happily stand almost that lot and sing along with a pint in one (or both) hands.

• 2 weeks later...

N.S.W Team Announced

Aaron Woods and Josh Dugan called up for NSW for Game II

4578272-3x2-340x227.jpg

New South Wales has named Aaron Woods to replace prop James Tamou for Origin II in Brisbane on June 26, while Josh Dugan has been named at full-back.

Dugan replaces Jarryd Hayne in the number one jumper after Hayne injured his hamstring in the Eels' 38-24 loss to the Sydney Roosters in round 13.

Tamou was suspended for two matches by the North Queensland Cowboys and fined $20,000 after copping a high-range drink-driving charge earlier this week.

NSW Origin II squad:
Josh Dugan, Michael Jennings, Brett Morris, Josh Morris, Blake Ferguson, James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce, Paul Gallen ©, Robbie Farah (vc), Aaron Woods, Ryan Hoffman, Luke Lewis, Greg Bird,
Interchange: Andrew Fifita, Trent Merrin, Josh Reynolds, Anthony Watmough

HERE

In breaking news ...

NSW Origin winger Blake Ferguson has been questioned by police after a female accused the star of inappropriately touching her at a Cronulla bar last night.

Q.L.D. Team Announced

queensland-maroon-origin-team-announced-

Acknowledgement

QLD: Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith ©, Nate Myles, Chris McQueen, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Daly Cherry-Evans, Ben Te’o, Matt Gillett, Josh Papalii, Martin Kennedy (18th man). Cameron Smith is again captain of the Queensland team in the 2013 State of Origin series.

UPDATED: Mal Meninga and the Maroons have made two key changes, with David Shillington and Ashley Harrison missing selection, with a new look bench featuring Daly Cherry-Evans, Josh Papalii, Ben Te’o and Matt Gillett. Nate Myles moves into the front row, while Chris McQueen and Corey Parker (lock) start in the back-row. The Roosters’ Martin Kennedy is the 18th man

Here

No Biff tonight ... or your off!

b41f9e2cee.jpg

Most likely it will be push and shove ... but no biffo.

NRL to show zero tolerance for footy violence

PHIL ROTHFIELD THE SUNDAY
TELEGRAPH JUNE 16, 2013 12:00AM

ONE punch and you're off.

The NRL has announced a strict zero tolerance policy to punching in the toughest crackdown on foul play in rugby league history.

State of Origin coaches Laurie Daley and Mal Meninga will be warned of the no-striking edict before Game II in Brisbane on June 26 and the crackdown will be enforced in all NRL matches from this weekend.

Any player caught punching an opponent will be automatically sent to the sin bin for 10 minutes, no matter what the circumstances. They could also face a judiciary charge.

The no-punch stance follows Blues skipper Paul Gallen's attack on Maroons forward Nate Myles in the opening State of Origin game on June 5.

Gallen was suspended for one club game, but not sin-binned. The incident has been replayed on television hundreds of times.

NRL referees boss Daniel Anderson has spoken to his entire squad this week about a stricter policing of foul play and punching incidents. Referees will be dropped if they don't enforce the rules and use the sin bin.

That'll do me. Missed it live due to a cracker of a storm and a4 hour Thai blackout but got a replay on Setanta at 10ish (after sitting through watching the British Lions flog Melbourne.)

Paul Gallen, leads by example I think the Blues were up for another punchon more so than Qld, I loved his excuse to the ref in the first game duh "he's been grabbing me by the throat for years" when in fact he was the tackling player. He should have been sin binned for the excuse. He's the captain, whaaat!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Game # 3 tonight ... the decider ...

Matthew-Scott-tackle-State-Of-Origin-428

NSW: Josh Dugan, Brett Morris, Michael Jennings, Josh Morris, James McManus, James Maloney, Mitchell Pearce, Aaron Woods, Robbie Farah, James Tamou, Ryan Hoffman, Luke Lewis, Greg Bird, Andrew Fifita, Trent Merrin, Boyd Cordner, Anthony Watmough. Jarryd Hayne has been ruled out of Game 3 with injury.

Captain Paul Gallen has been ruled out of the final game of the 2013 State of Origin series. Robbie Farah will captain the Blues for the final match.

NSW Blues squad for 2013 Origin Game 3: expert reaction

Despite the New South Wales Blues suffering a convincing loss in the second game of the 2013 State of Origin series, coach Laurie Daley and the selectors have largely kept the faith in the team that won the opening encounter, but have extended the squad to cover for some injury concerns to key players.

The extended 20 man squad includes Aaron Woods, James McManus and Boyd Cordner all on standby, however Nathan Merritt has paid the price for a poor game in Brisbane, and has been dumped from the NSW set-up.

QLD Game 3 team: Billy Slater, Darius Boyd, Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges, Brent Tate, Johnathan Thurston, Cooper Cronk, Matt Scott, Cameron Smith ©, Nate Myles, Chris McQueen, Sam Thaiday, Corey Parker, Daly Cherry-Evans, Ben Te’o, Matt Gillett, Josh Papalii.

18th man: Jacob Lillyman – 19th man: Will Chambers. Cameron Smith is captain of the Queensland team in the 2013 State of Origin series.

Where Origin Game 3 will be won ...

Game 3 at ANZ stadium. The third straight Origin decider. Imagine yourself running out to face the roar of 80,000 diehard rugby league fans.

You turn to the south side of the stadium and see the Blatchy’s Blues, an army of blue wigs. The fireworks explode out of the ground and you think you are about to play the biggest game of your life.

How one error can mean losing. How one missed tackle can leak a try. How sometimes even giving it 110% won’t be enough.

You would feel nervous. Every player that goes out on Wednesday night will feel like that. But some players can handle the nerves, some players have been there before and Queensland have the majority of those players.

If the game comes down to the last 30 seconds Queensland will have the ability to stay calm and come up with the right plays and execute them well. NSW, I fear, will be nervous and lack structure.

More of the article here

I'm hoping that I've set the video recorder to catch it. Then I'll watch when I come back from football tonight. Otherwise, I'll need to record the Thursday late night repeat and watch at the weekend...

Queensland has a significant edge in experience, but sooner or later that will tell against them - this year? next year?

SC

"No Biff tonight ... or your off! "

Disgusting isn't. There will be a lot of encouraging the others to Biff, of course NSW will be angles in the eyes of the Refs coffee1.gif

But QLD has "The Force", blessed by King Wally. drunk.gif.pagespeed.ce.hfErN2aQEE.gif

post-171671-0-22212400-1374055930_thumb.

Edited by Chao Lao Beach

QLD Champions, NSW even enlisted a streaker to stop play and dis-allow an awesome QLD Try to be dis-allowed.

Sucked in NSW, you are a looser again cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Would've been a great try by the security guy if he'd had the ball.

Good game. Well done maroons.

QLD Champions, NSW even enlisted a streaker to stop play and dis-allow an awesome QLD Try to be dis-allowed.

Sucked in NSW, you are a looser again cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Would've been a great try by the security guy if he'd had the ball.

Good game. Well done maroons.

I could just imagine it !!! Good Times.

• Like 1

How many is that in a row for Queensland? 5?

Can anyone tell me why Queensland dominates this series so much? I would have thought with the smaller population they would be at a disadvantage

They've had some outstanding players at the core of their team for many years now - more than five - eight or nine.

The first SOO I saw was the decider of the first series that they won; I watched it in a very quiet pub in Bali - and a tremendous game it was too, balanced on a knife edge right to the end.

SC

• Like 1

The State of Origin streak rolls on for Maroons ...

Queensland-Maroons-win-State-of-Origin.j

"It was a fantastic effort," Queensland coach Mal Meninga said. "We prepared really well for that. We thought we had to handle adversity to its utmost tonight.

"I was very proud of the players. That was a true Origin game. True grit. Showed fantastic desire to get the desired result.

"Winning eight in a row is fantastic."

Shattered NSW coach Laurie Daley said: "For us, if we're going to go and be a better team we can't accept that and we won't accept it. It's tough times, but we need to stick together and continue to believe and someone will turn it around."

The difference was back to two points. But that was as close as NSW got. The Blues, and their long-suffering fans, endured another night of frustration and disappointment.

The wait goes on ...

The Australian

... and, just in case you missed it ...

011611-streaker.jpg

... hence the headline to this post.

A more 'revealing', but still in good taste photo here.

Low quality video of the event here

For those who missed it ... all the background, all the calls, all the tries, all the interviews are in the ABC blog.

The only thing is that you must go to the bottom of the page and work your way up ...

7:05pm: Good evening football fans and welcome to the night we've all been waiting for - Darius Boyd's birthday The Decider. I'm Adrian Crawford and I'll bring you every moment of the action from Sydney.

The stage is set and from all reports it's been a beautiful day in the New South Wales capital as Origin fever reaches...well, fever pitch.

Out of the interests of transparency I'm a Queenslander born and raised - not like old Karl Stefanovic whose allegiance and was called into question this morning.

7:08pm: It sounds like an ideal night for rugby league in Sydney and on the sideline Craig Hamilton says it's "perfect" at ground level.

"The ground is in great shape ... but in the middle of winter I don't think I've ever seen it better, just a hint of dew but nothing too dramatic."

Love it. Thanks Hammo.

7:15pm: Down on the sidelines Hammo has a special guest in Jillaroos hooker Julie Young, fresh off the women's World Cup win over New Zealand in Leeds.

She said the side only just returned home from their victorious tour and victory is still sinking in.

Have a listen below.

Audio: Interview: Julie Young (ABC News)

The Blog covers the entire night.