Kuala Lumpur Airport

triffid

I am tempted by a very good price to book a Malaysian Airlines flight to Europe but the snag is a prolonged transfer period at KL airport. I'd appreciate any comments, warnings, suggestions etc about the airport and whether a 6 hours connexion could be made tolerable. (No, I'm not travelling business class so I won't have access to any plush lounges.)

I do have the alternative of paying 3k baht more to get a flight with a 3 hr connexion - something I will do if cutting 3 hrs off KL waiting is strongly advocated by people here.

Edited by triffid

My preferred route is via KL, but with 3 hours lay-over. With delays though I have spent over 6 hours there, and can't say I enjoyed it very much. Take into account that in the late evening and night a big part of the airport is closed.

My preferred route is via KL, but with 3 hours lay-over. With delays though I have spent over 6 hours there, and can't say I enjoyed it very much. Take into account that in the late evening and night a big part of the airport is closed.

Thanks for the response. Can you give me a feel for the possibilities of passing the time? Does Malaysian hand out any food vouchers? Is there free internet throughout the airport? Are there comfortable chairs to sit on and read a book? Is there a decent café with free internet? How did you best pass the 3 hours? As you can tell, I don't know the airport?

Incidentally, any comment on the comfort of economy seats on Malaysian A380 for the long flight would also be appreciated.

Malaysia appreciates the that people need wifi hence http://www.klia.com.my/index.php/component/content/article/26.html

If that is down, all McDonalds in Malaysia have courtesy wifi and an ice-cream cone only costs 10.5 Baht (tax inclusive).

Be warned, if you are planning to meet friends travelling on AirAsia, the LCCT (low cost carrier terminal) is 20 min away. AA

If you are using LCCT then it is not a good one. They do have a lounge that you could use but I think it costs about 1000 baht. If staying for such a long period then I would tend to make use of that. Yes they have wifi all over LCCT.

If using KLIA, it is bigger with more things to see but really, it's just an airport.

6 hours is a long stopover, perhaps just lay down and have a nap. :)

If you are using LCCT then it is not a good one. They do have a lounge that you could use but I think it costs about 1000 baht. If staying for such a long period then I would tend to make use of that. Yes they have wifi all over LCCT.

If using KLIA, it is bigger with more things to see but really, it's just an airport.

6 hours is a long stopover, perhaps just lay down and have a nap. smile.png

As I mentioned I'll be travelling on Malaysian Airlines. A nap or some hours with a book is fine with me - but are there abundant and comfortable chairs? Is there a 1000 baht lounge in the main airport?

if you have 6hours or perhaps 5 hours net time hangin at KL airport, I would take the airport train system and go

downtown, pretty much if you stick to the metro train lines w/transfer points back to the airport system you'll

probably enjoy the city perhaps visiting the Petronas tower buildings. But of course the time of day will determine

all of this and not for a late flight schedule.

Thanks everyone for the various inputs. On balance I decided it was worth getting the less long, 3 hr connexion. As I mentioned I'm on a Malaysian A380 flight. They want 1500 baht for what they call 'premium' seats. Anyone know their A380 economy seats and have any advice or comment on that option?

Thanks everyone for the various inputs. On balance I decided it was worth getting the less long, 3 hr connexion. As I mentioned I'm on a Malaysian A380 flight. They want 1500 baht for what they call 'premium' seats. Anyone know their A380 economy seats and have any advice or comment on that option?

Looking at seatguru.com data for Malaysian A380's here, there doesn't seem to be any specific 'premium' economy seating so I would assume that they are offering exit-row seats for the extra 1500 baht. Economy seat pitch is 32" with 6" recline so your comfort depends if you are taller than 6'.

KLIA isn't too bad for a 6 hour layover IMHO but does depend on time of transit. There is a pay-to-enter option at the Plaza Premium Lounge on the mezzanine at the satellite terminal but don't know how much they charge per visit. There are comfy lounger-style chairs around the rain forest thing in the middle of the satellite terminal ground floor but they may be all snapped up during peak passenger times.

Edited by NanLaew

l quite often have a few hours to wait at the main KL airport, I have always found it very comfortable, green and cool. There are many food outlets and a number of food courts as well as upstairs seating areas with TV's. and free Internet

If you get bored, grab the train for a five minute shuttle to the other terminal ( there are two terminals) and have a wander around, however, if you are a smoker then only T 1 has a smoking area.

I assure you there are many other worse airports to be held captive in.

I've also booked a Malaysian flight on their A380 to Paris, at 24,000 Baht from KL it seemed too good a deal to miss. Even factoring in the AA flight to KL and a bit of a longer overall journey, a saving of 20,000 Baht for the two of us on a comparable, but direct, journey with Thai made it worthwhile. Also Malaysian offers 30 kg of checked baggage.

I know the Low Cost Terminal is a way away from the main airport, but I assume there is a shuttle.

Edited by thonglorjimmy

Actually I'm booking a one-way ticket to Paris from Bkk, and their price on economy was the best I saw.

About the premium seats, yes there are a number of them for which they are charging 1500 baht, some of them are emergency exit seats but they can't all be. I'm just 5'10" but it is a long night flight so the extra space can't hurt and the lack of a seat in front is also visually less claustrophobic, so I'll probably pay the extra. The 32" pitch is nothing special; and maybe their 5* skytrax rating is for their business and/or first class.

Thonglorjimmy, if you're booked on Malaysian why are being unloaded at the Low Cost Terminal? I'm assuming I won't be.

Positive remarks on the airport have been helpful. Many thanks.

I know the Low Cost Terminal is a way away from the main airport, but I assume there is a shuttle.

Do some research on that before you make the trip. Although you can see the LCT from KLIA, there's no quick and easy connection that I recall from a couple of years ago. At that time it was either wait for a shuttle bus or bite the bullet and pay for a cab. Even getting from the LCT to KL requires a lengthy bus trip to a station before getting a stopping train. The excellent KLIA Expres train is ONLY to/from KLIA.

there are hourly shuttle buses between lcct and klia. its not free back in late 2012 which i find it rather strange. both klia and lcct are very very boring. aircon in lcct is not cold, klia was comfy. plentiful of seats in klia, lcct is unbearable, humid and hot didnt bother. free wireless at both airports bring back the memories of 56 modem, except it is actually slower.

if there is anything positive, i would say the vegetarian indian shop outside lcct is very good and you clear immgiration pretty fast