Buffalo 1 Terabyte Hard Drive Died

mascarakatze

Had bad experience with Buffalo products dying myself.

Suspect you'll just have to wave bye bye.

Do you hear any crunching or clicking noises when it tries to start up?

Best bet is USB powered Seagate or Weston external HDs .

Buffalo don't make hard drives, they make boxes to surround Western Digital Hard drives.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

download the western digital hard disk utilities from their site.

try and see if it finds your buffallo drive when plugged into the usb slot.

If it does procede with what recovery options it says.

if not

consider breaking the case open and removing the hard drive.

mount this in your comp and repeat as above.

The WD software is magic.

Two of my 5 Buffalo drives contain Samsung hard drives: a 1.5 TB and a 2.0 TB.

I don't know what the others contain - the utility "DiskCheckup v3.1" couldn't identify them.

The only problem I have had is one power brick failed.

There is a fair chance that your data can be recovered. First of all don't make things worse by any further access to the drive. Open the container to define the HDD make and part#, then get the disk utility for that from the maker's (WD, Seagate, whatever) site. Run their test which should give info on the drive status and may include recovery facilities. If all else fails contact Drive Wizards here on Phuket, if it's recoverable at all Gregory can do it.

I have two 2TB Buffalo hard drives plus a Seagate and a couple of Western Digtitals. No problems, so far, with any of them . However i just saw an advert for the Buffalo 2 TB and they claim that they have no fans to ensure quite running. Never thought about it before but do all desktop external hard drives have no built in fans for cooling unlike internals that should have air passing over them at least with built in fans in the enclosure. . Would this contribute to hard disk failure ??

I have two 2TB Buffalo hard drives plus a Seagate and a couple of Western Digtitals. No problems, so far, with any of them . However i just saw an advert for the Buffalo 2 TB and they claim that they have no fans to ensure quite running. Never thought about it before but do all desktop external hard drives have no built in fans for cooling unlike internals that should have air passing over them at least with built in fans in the enclosure. . Would this contribute to hard disk failure ??

Just to be on the safe side, I run my two WD 1TB drives standing on a laptop cooling pad so that air circulates around them; no problem in over three years.

consider breaking the case open and removing the hard drive.

mount this in your comp and repeat as above.

The WD software is magic.

This. Could just be crappy little board in the Buffalo, the jack, the cable, etc.

Did the same recently on a Seagate external. Drive turned out to be fine and it's in use today as an internal drive.