Australians Taking Very Long Holidays

Michael Hare

Do other nationalities get into the same amount of trouble overseas that Aussies seem to?

The article below states that four Australians per day are jailed overseas. I guess with more than 8 million Aussies travelling each year this is a fairly low number. But the article also says that over 200,000 required consular help. This seems high.

The country where most Australians got into trouble was the US with 90 Australians in custody. Other countries included China, Thailand, Vietnam and Indonesia.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/more-travellers-taking-a-trip-theyd-rather-forget-20130525-2n3rg.html

I'm in China at present and the Aussies do tend to be at the forefront of any disputes in a bar or restaurant; this is normally down to the copious amounts of alcohol consumed! It normally ends with the verbal diarrhoea being washed away with more beer and laughter or a quick slap by a local to remind them where they are.

Never a dull moment with an Aussie around.

Cheers!

There are more Australians travelling because of the high Australian dollar. You will find that most of the persons jailed in China are persons residing in China with Australian Passports. The stats about people receiving consul assistance will include people like myself where I needed a document certified.

Statistics from government departments can be very misleading.

Stolen passport, like myself