Conserve Thai Elephants Too, Activists Say

webfact

Conserve Thai elephants too, activists say
TANPISIT LERDBAMRUNGCHAI
THE NATION

30207109-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The Friends of the Asian Elephant (FAE) foundation yesterday asked if it was really worth keeping the Chiang Mai-born panda Lin Ping in Thailand for another 15 years and paying China Bt44 million per year for the privilege.

Meanwhile, a veterinarian from the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNWPC) called on the authorities to treat Thai elephants as national property and implement a similar system of conservation as the one China has put in place for pandas.

At a seminar held yesterday at Kasetsart University's Faculty of Forestry, university lecturer Naris Phumpakpan said pandas attracted public attention and served as a conservation ambassador. He said China also used the panda research fund to conduct studies on the artificial insemination of the brow-antlered deer, the Chinese goral and tapir.

He said Chiang Mai's economy had grown as more people are visiting just to catch a glimpse of Lin Ping. "Now the question is how we use the panda research project to help boost other studies as well?" he added.

However, FAE's Surapol Doungkhae said that waiting for leftovers from the panda research fund to conduct studies on other animals was not an effective approach. Besides, he said, it was pointless spending so much on promoting another country's national animal, while Thailand's own elephants are being ignored.

Confirming that Thailand had to join the rest of the world in conserving the panda, which are close to extinction, DNWPC veterinarian Pattarapol Manee-on called on Thai authorities to apply the same conservation model to elephants as China does to pandas. Hence, Thailand would own all Thai elephants, including their offspring, which will have to be returned to the Kingdom by the age of five. Meanwhile, all elephant-related products will also be considered national property.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-05-29

<Thai language removed> is the word and stands for IMPORTED GOODS.
Having lived here for close to 30 years I am still amazed over the lack of self-confidence in their own products compared to imported stuff. Latter allows higher pricing while stands for better quality.

Same applies to the preservation of their own national animal, the elephant.
While the Laotians proudly keep the elephant part of their heritage up, here in Thailand they primarily exist because of tourists; latter can be ripped off during those 30 minutes ride.

I have a grandson and during lunch preparation it is his "Lin Pin" panda bear time on TV. Highly appreciated but the preceeding or following programmes (TrueMove or something is the provider) cover everything else. Elephants are, by Thai TV standards, an African relict in their National parks.
Thailand has elephants too except that they are becoming extinct due to getting cooked up in all sorts of
< Thai language removed >(Som Tam Chang)!

I am exaggerating but the subject is moving in that direction - unfortunately! You've been warned.

Edited by metisdead
English is the only acceptable language, except within the Thai language forum, where of course using Thai is allowed.

I posted a reply, not so long ago, about the feelings of a Lot of Thai people, That the Thai Government can afford thousands of baht to keep a panda, But not for there own Elephants. who have served them for hundreds of years.

Edited by Thongkorn

and yet when places in Thailand DO breed them to try and give them a sustainable future, look after them when nobody else will and give sanctuary to those dangerous or retired elephants they get slated for keeping them in captivity. Make up your minds people!

Edited by Getyourfactsright

Elephants get a shockingly bad deal in Thailand. I'm sure if they could they'd all be applying for exit visas, anywhere..... except China of course.

But Lin Ping is a big star. What she really needs is a boyfriend and hopefully a baby, that would really send her to the top of the ratings. But how much would China demand then?

and yet when places in Thailand DO breed them to try and give them a sustainable future, look after them when nobody else will and give sanctuary to those dangerous or retired elephants they get slated for keeping them in captivity. Make up your minds people!

You know, that you can actually keep elephnats protected in the wild, don't you?!

Of course, that takes a little more effort like...let's say...RE-forestation instead of DE-forestation and sh1t like that.

You don't need to keep an animal confined in order to protect it!

• Like 2

You know, that you can actually keep elephnats protected in the wild, don't you?!

Of course, that takes a little more effort like...let's say...RE-forestation instead of DE-forestation and sh1t like that.

Wow NO Sh** doc N! In a perfect world thats a great idea! and yes I would love to see that who wouldnt?! But tell me what shall we doin the mean time? and with all the ones who cant now live in this enviroment? Shall we just eradicate them and start again?? Wouldnt it be great if we could magically pull forests out of our behinds?! Live in the real world mate! Man made his bed by destroying these habitats and domesticating these animals. Most Asian elephants have never seen a forest as they were bred for another purpose back then. This is the sad truth, so we make the best of what we have until we can sort our sorry selves out and if this means that an elephant can live somewhere as free as possible with all the food water and freedoms it can possible have then surely this is better than nothing. You have automatically condemed captivity witthout understanding it! I am not talking about keeping in a pen, cage or locked up in a small eniviroment on its own. This also doesnt have to be the way of a captive animal just because it lives amongst people. There are some fantastic places in thailand who look after the genuine interest of elephants welfare. Not for money or tourism, and yes there are also those who arent great and those I do NOT support! So please dont tell me how to suck eggs I am well aware of what goes on but my answer isnt just to say oh lets stop and 're forestation'. Great idea numnuts, where you going to get the money to do that?

So returning to the topic point I fully support that the thai gov should help thier national symbol and then maybe we can get a step closer to returning the Asian elephant to its rightful status.

I was watching a programme on TV not long ago about Thailand elephants and it said that with all the developments in Thailand and the destruction of the elephant’s habitat with roads and railway tracks that the elephants cannot travel to their normal annual meeting and breeding areas and are now getting to inbred and it is damaging the intelligence of the elephants. And yet they spend 44 million Baht a year on Panda hire someone must have had his pocket well lined for this to happen

Wow NO Sh** doc N! In a perfect world thats a great idea! and yes I would love to see that who wouldnt?! But tell me what shall we doin the mean time? and with all the ones who cant now live in this enviroment? Shall we just eradicate them and start again?? Wouldnt it be great if we could magically pull forests out of our behinds?! Live in the real world mate! Man made his bed by destroying these habitats and domesticating these animals. Most Asian elephants have never seen a forest as they were bred for another purpose back then. This is the sad truth, so we make the best of what we have until we can sort our sorry selves out and if this means that an elephant can live somewhere as free as possible with all the food water and freedoms it can possible have then surely this is better than nothing. You have automatically condemed captivity witthout understanding it! I am not talking about keeping in a pen, cage or locked up in a small eniviroment on its own. This also doesnt have to be the way of a captive animal just because it lives amongst people. There are some fantastic places in thailand who look after the genuine interest of elephants welfare. Not for money or tourism, and yes there are also those who arent great and those I do NOT support! So please dont tell me how to suck eggs I am well aware of what goes on but my answer isnt just to say oh lets stop and 're forestation'. Great idea numnuts, where you going to get the money to do that?

So returning to the topic point I fully support that the thai gov should help thier national symbol and then maybe we can get a step closer to returning the Asian elephant to its rightful status.

First of all we shall calm down!

Second of all we shall not always settle with second best.

Third of all we should demand from Thailand, that it protects these animal. But that is an illusion, isn't it?

We know that, because Thailand just gave the finger to the protection of sharks and stingrays, because in protaction thete is no money.

Second we remember the ballyhoo about the alleged white elephant a few weeks ago. An elephant that HAD to be captured, that MUST NOT be allowed top cross into Myanmar, because of stuff that I can not even begin to criticize here, because...well...I am not allowed to.

Maybe...just maybe...let the all get killed. And maybe...just maybe...people will notice what they have lost!

Places in Thailand do not try to give them a sustainable future!

It is a hoax!

Look at the state of most national parks or Zoo's.

Just look ate money that goes into protection of wildlife and environment.

Thailand is all smoke and mirrors. They don;t give a hoot about elephants, tigers or any kind of wildlife if "giving a hoot" mean SPENDING money and not getting money!

All of them!

No exception!

I was watching a programme on TV not long ago about Thailand elephants and it said that with all the developments in Thailand and the destruction of the elephant’s habitat with roads and railway tracks that the elephants cannot travel to their normal annual meeting and breeding areas and are now getting to inbred and it is damaging the intelligence of the elephants. And yet they spend 44 million Baht a year on Panda hire someone must have had his pocket well lined for this to happen

Do you remember the programme name Jim? Wouldnt mind watching that. Its a sad state of affairs, but most of thailands eles have always been domesticated because they were bred for war against the burmese and after that used for the logging industry. Once that dried up they became destitute, familys couldnt afford to keep them and look after them. Others used the elephants to beg and often they would get hit by cars. Its very sad, thankfully the gov are wising up slowly. People dont realise that though and just imagine they have always roamed free. The eles that are inbreeding are they in sanctuarys? if so thats very poor management and for that no excuse. I am with you on the last sentence too.

First of all we shall calm down!

Second of all we shall not always settle with second best.

Third of all we should demand from Thailand, that it protects these animal. But that is an illusion, isn't it?

We know that, because Thailand just gave the finger to the protection of sharks and stingrays, because in protaction thete is no money.

Second we remember the ballyhoo about the alleged white elephant a few weeks ago. An elephant that HAD to be captured, that MUST NOT be allowed top cross into Myanmar, because of stuff that I can not even begin to criticize here, because...well...I am not allowed to.

Maybe...just maybe...let the all get killed. And maybe...just maybe...people will notice what they have lost!

Places in Thailand do not try to give them a sustainable future!

It is a hoax!

Look at the state of most national parks or Zoo's.

Just look ate money that goes into protection of wildlife and environment.

Thailand is all smoke and mirrors. They don;t give a hoot about elephants, tigers or any kind of wildlife if "giving a hoot" mean SPENDING money and not getting money!

All of them!

No exception!

Sounds like your the one who needs to chill mate! You cant demand anyone to do something and then expect good results but you can try and teach and put good practices in place. Its not something that can be done over night or even fully achieved but atleast worth a shot no? How you can generalise on a whole country or any other nation that they dont give a hoot. You dont know the WHOLE country, there are places out there that are doing good. But they are never the ones in the press, its always the bad stuff. Thats the truth of it. Thats all thats being said.

Looks like Thailand is wanting to capitalize on their national treasure, Chang and pattern it after the Chinese Panda model charging the Thai government an outrageous fee to keep the cuddly bear in a Chiang Mai zoo. Why don't they just start by stopping the trafficking of ivory of their national treasure in their own country first?

Why waste time, just nuke the elephants, which are now obsolete and replaced by tractors, and swamp the market with umbrella stands, ivory, and everlasting leather goods smile.png

With a username like Phantomfiddler and comments like that I'm guessing you are Khun Plodrasop....!