Is A Thorough Cleaning The Tenant's Responsibility When Moving Out Of A Rental In Bangkok?

heatwaving

Hi all,

After a year renting a 30 sq. meter condo in Bangkok, I'm moving out. A thai friend is saying that other than making sure I haven't damaged or taken anything, it's not my responsibility to do a thorough cleaning of the place before I move out. He says the landlord will do the cleaning and that's normal here. And unlike leases in the US, there is no mention in my lease here of any need to clean the place when leaving.

Either way, I won't leave any mess, but if I can avoid having to scrub the floors and get out every bit of tile grout, I'd like to. But I'd also like to get all of my security deposit returned to me. So is it the general rule here that the landlord will handle having the place cleaned inbetween tenants? Anyone have thoughts on this?

Thanks for any input!

nope, make sure there is no damage and move on.

one caveat though, do not expct anywheree you may rent to be truly clan whn you move in.

first thing i generally move in is the maid to give the place a once over before moving in belongings

Edited by twominutesbuddy

In our contracts ( owner of 50 rooms) we give them no choice but to pay a final cleaning bill depending on size of room from 1200 to 2000 baht and this isnt for a 30 minute clean it means all funriture has to be moved, all appliances cleaned inside and out, aircon cleaned etc etc.

So depends on your contract, but as an owne would you like to see a filthy room when a tenant leaves??

• Like 2

Thanks for the responses so far. There is no mention of cleaning in my lease, and as one poster said, the place was not really clean when I moved in, even though they asked for a couple of days to clean it before I moved in.

Op. You sound like a teenager,that has been asked to clean his bedroom.

Personal pride,I would expect,induce you to leave the room in pristine condition,

After all it shouldn't take more than an hour,tops.

Maybe your floosy could help, for a price of course.

It takes me 2 full days to clean a room of 30m2, that includes all appliances cleaned with a toothbrush at times, floors, bathrooms ( the worst) an hour hahahhahahah I WISH!

Op. You sound like a teenager,that has been asked to clean his bedroom.

Personal pride,I would expect,induce you to leave the room in pristine condition,

After all it shouldn't take more than an hour,tops.

Maybe your floosy could help, for a price of course.

It takes me 2 full days to clean a room of 30m2, that includes all appliances cleaned with a toothbrush at times, floors, bathrooms ( the worst) an hour hahahhahahah I WISH!

That isn't clean, that is spotless! Is that a hospital room?

Sheesh. I used to clean round, sweep up and mop the floors before I left the places I've stayed at.

Only once did a landlady get someone in to clean up before i moved in. She had 2 local thai women spend the day cleaning at 200 Baht each. That was a 3 bed house.

That is a LOT bigger and a lot cheaper too than the money you have quoted in an earlier post.

In our contracts ( owner of 50 rooms) we give them no choice but to pay a final cleaning bill depending on size of room from 1200 to 2000 baht and this isnt for a 30 minute clean it means all funriture has to be moved, all appliances cleaned inside and out, aircon cleaned etc etc.

So depends on your contract, but as an owne would you like to see a filthy room when a tenant leaves??

I would be delighted to find anyone in Oz who was willing to do a *proper* move clean for 300 AUD. Had an entire team in Cairns - these were women who clean for a living - and the agent still had me call them back in because the Venetian blinds (a $^^&$! to clean, and one of the reasons I paid the fee) were not up to par. In Brisbane, I had a Uni student bitch that my flat was 'too big' despite the fact that she only had to do the kitchen and bathroom - this was a woman who charged by the hour and advertised 'no job too big or too small !'. Apparently I must have missed a clause about kitchens and bathrooms in West End ...

If you can find someone who can do a spit-and-polish job on an apartment for 2K baht, marry her. ;)

personally i would clean it back to the condition when i first arrive, even if im not obliged to.

Good post.

What with improvements that I've always instigated to a tenancy and the final clean prior to moving, I can safely state that I've always left property in better shape and cleaner than when I arrived.

It would require a hard and cynical heart to look me in the eye and tell me I hadn't.

• Like 1

Open.you sound like a whining teenager, that has to clean his bedroom.

Ever heard of Pride,personal hygiene.

Clean the room, after all its only the size my kitchen.

Good post,the place is so small and how long does it take to make the place spick and span,sounds like he hasnt looked after the place very well,and too lazy to clean now.

This should be covered in the contract. Most contracts stipulate that the property must be left in the original state, or they have similar wording which might include professional cleaning. You should probably expect to put in some 'sweat equity' or be prepared lose a portion of your security deposit.

if i was the landlord you wouldnt get your deposit back until you left it as you found it,also make sure you take some photo's or its your word against their's and you will lose,so if its too much hard work 400bht.should do it.

Leave it the way that you found it, assuming that it isn't in the fine print of the lease.

One of the many reasons why you should always keep a photo record when first moving into any leased/rented property..........thumbsup.gif

Our contract kinda sucks. It says we will be charged b400 (wife says they raised it to 500 now), in addition 500 for drapes. Kinda bs because we keep it so clean. Never had drapes charge in my life as renter but <deleted>.

I think our contract is vague, just mentions cleaning.

Ours in.big building and in fairness to them, it saves hassling over small money deposits and guarantees fast cleani ng of room.

Im.not happy but whatcha gonna do

Fyi - about 90 flats in our bldg.

I know a landlord that charges for cleaning, however he realises people live in his apartments and will ignore general wear and tear. This means tile grout, sticky marks on walls from hanging posters etc etc he considers this inevitable and won't charge.

Note not all landlords are the same sad.png

I would be delighted to find anyone in Oz who was willing to do a *proper* move clean for 300 AUD. Had an entire team in Cairns - these were women who clean for a living - and the agent still had me call them back in because the Venetian blinds (a $^^&$! to clean, and one of the reasons I paid the fee) were not up to par. In Brisbane, I had a Uni student bitch that my flat was 'too big' despite the fact that she only had to do the kitchen and bathroom - this was a woman who charged by the hour and advertised 'no job too big or too small !'. Apparently I must have missed a clause about kitchens and bathrooms in West End ...

If you can find someone who can do a spit-and-polish job on an apartment for 2K baht, marry her. wink.png

I did 7 years ago!

Apararently the owner is doing the cleaning himself. Aquick word with the labor department and a note to the tax office may help.

Not in our rooms, the tax we pay is A LOT however they can feel free to call them if they wish hahahahaaha

Open.you sound like a whining teenager, that has to clean his bedroom.

Ever heard of Pride,personal hygiene.

Clean the room, after all its only the size my kitchen.

Good post,the place is so small and how long does it take to make the place spick and span,sounds like he hasnt looked after the place very well,and too lazy to clean now.

Rented my Bungalow to a local ex-pat and when I went for look a couple of months later the garden was a metre and a half deep in weeds. Told him to forget paying the next two months rent and move out at the end of the two months. I just kept the deposit.

His excuse was that he didn't like gardening. When he moved out it was obvious he didn't like housework either.

Sold the place shortly afterwards but learned a good lesson myself.

A good contract has to be drawn up and signed, even if it's your friend that's renting.

Edited by overherebc

My condo is cleaned every month....it's included in the contract.

Also included in the contract is a final cleaning of THB 800 which will be deducted from the deposit.

Calling the OP a whining teenager is a bit over the top........the OP is just asking whether the landlord will do a thorough cleaning after he has moved out.

Whatever you clean and how good you have cleaned the place, there is always something to complain.

Edited by joepattaya1961

Clearly, landlords handing out longterm leases dont bother checking previous references in Thailand. That said, the system here must be a doozy when you see some of the trashed flats they come up with on the tabloid current affairs shows from time to time - sad little ferals living amongst us, If I was running this country, I would have every addict dragged into the street and shot, but that's probably a sentiment best kept to myself. :D

If the contract makes no mention, you may not be required to thoroughly clean but decency (IMO) requires that you at least leave the place neat, all trash and unwanted things thrown out and not lying about, and at least the counters brushed off and the place swept. Doesn't take much time and is a happy medium between doing nothing and doing a thorough cleaning complete with floor mopping etc.