Purchasing Pencils, In Chiang Mai.

arunsakda

This is an important topic for those of us who also find that the ball point pens sold in CM big box stores are not very good quality.

I am also hunting for some good pencils and I have already purchased boxes of the Staedtler and the Faber-Castell, probably both made under license here in Thailand by the same manufacturer to be less than the quality I require.

The problem with these pencils is that the lead abrades with use too quickly.

These local pencils require sharpening much more than what I am used to when using pencils imported from EU or American suppliers.

I have heard there are a few types to try, such as those used for computer form marking, or for graphic design, but these are not found in any places I have so far seen.

This may seem like an unimportant or frivolous topic to some, at first, but it is not.

I have already tried and discarded what can be had at the major retailers such as Lotus and Mackro.

There is one local brand I have not tried, with a name that includes the word "horse", or something.

I saw it being used by some office workers, asked for one, but they would not part with it.

You would think that with all the trees and tree plantations around Thailand, that some company could make a good pencil.

Maybe they do, but I so far have not found it.

Yes, where can these be had in CM?

Edited by OldChinaHam

i have the exact same requirements as the op, however i would prefr my pencils to b manufactured by the blind, i find their absence of sight an advantage in the creation of a truly balance writing utensil.

On another note, OP, do you also feel the need to get dressed before you go out to pay your gardener so he doesn't think you are lazy?

that really does my head in.

• Like 1

It seems that western pencils are lacking in lead. Certainly I find that my pencil would be far nicer if it had good lead in it.

The lead in the Staedtler Norica, which is a Novelty pencil, is terrible. Really worthless.

And I do not see much difference with the Faber-Castell which are also locally produced.

Yes, of course, it is the lead. But it is also the choice of wood, and keeping the lead straight.

These three factors are not so easy to attain.

You might check out the Wiki regarding how pencils are produced.

Not as easy as you might think.

re

I need to find some paper that is gold plated

here ya go ... gold ghost money : )

buy it in warrarot market by the box !

dave2

That Gold Paper is for burning. And I think in CM we have enough burning and smoke this month and next, thank you.

Pretty specific instructions for a pencil that he claims he can get back home for 5 baht where as the same item is 15 baht here. Pay the 15 baht and save your self 200 baht roaring around town trying to save 10 baht.

Or you could post your bank and bank account number and I will put 10 baht in it for you.wai.gif A few more donors and you will be able to buy a package of 3.

You stay in the La Meridian you fly business class and 79 baht for three high quality pencils is to much for you.whistling.gif

You know he is right about being a stickler for good quality pencils.

And you are right that good quality pencils do cost money.

If you look at the wood used for the Thai pencils, it is not hard enough.

I think they are using wood from tree farms and soft wood, whereas good quality pencils are made from hardwoods that come from places like the northeastern US

It would be better to have 5 good quality pencils in the hand

Than a whole handful of pencils in the bush.

• Like 1

Frankly, I think you are missing a great opportunity here...

Look for the pencils sold on the Walking Street or in the Night Bazaar, the sort that are grown, rather than manufactured. You can usually recognize them by the fact that they have left the outer bark on the branch, which makes for an excellent grip. As a renewable growth product, there is little damage to the eco-system in harvesting these pencils, they often have a much larger lead core (depending, of course, upon the soil they are grown in,) and almost always are pre-sharpened by highly skilled workers. It might pay you to check these out...

• Like 1

Frankly, I think you are missing a great opportunity here...

Look for the pencils sold on the Walking Street or in the Night Bazaar, the sort that are grown, rather than manufactured. You can usually recognize them by the fact that they have left the outer bark on the branch, which makes for an excellent grip. As a renewable growth product, there is little damage to the eco-system in harvesting these pencils, they often have a much larger lead core (depending, of course, upon the soil they are grown in,) and almost always are pre-sharpened by highly skilled workers. It might pay you to check these out...

I don't think they come up to his specific standards

Part pf which are

"Finally it is absolutely essential that any pencils I purchase must be

composed of sustainably grown organic wood products as well as be

manufactured by unionised workers, preferably developmentally

disadvantaged indigenous women."

He might have no problem with the indigenous part but the union part is going to take a few years in the making. I understand that developmentally disadvantaged indigenous women are going to start up a union in 20 years.

Don't get me started on the poor quality of mechanical pencils here. When I was in college, with Engineering Drawing being part of my "studies", the German-made Pentil pencils were considered the best -- far superior to any traditional pencil. I was overjoyed to find Pentil mechanical pencils here at KSK Central B2S for 50 baht each.

Unfortunately, these aren't the high-end Pentil pencils, like the one Hubby gave me casually on our first date, like he was in the habit of giving mechanical pencils to girls he'd just met. No, these pencils don't have the little needle stuck in the interior of the eraser (to clean out the works). There are other major differences, but each time Hubby and I have to buy another cheapie "Pentil" pencil, we relive our first date and lament the passing of time.

Some girls liked flowers, I liked a really good mechanical pencil.

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 2

I need a pencil as the one I picked up for free
in my suite at Le Meridien is no longer usable. The eraser has been
completely ground down and it is too short now after several times
sharpening over a period of several weeks.

• The pencil should posses a substantial feel, but not be too heavy.
  • The eraser should be effective, but not too soft.
  • The paint or coating must have a slight texture to it, as to not slip in the hand.
  • Finally it is absolutely essential that any pencils I purchase
    must be composed of sustainably grown organic wood products as well as
    be manufactured by unionised workers, preferably developmentally
    disadvantaged indigenous women.

I don't think my requirements excessive as color is of no concern. So I
explained all this to the girl in a stationary shop but all I got was
"arai na?" Horrible customer service! All I could find there was a
package of three imported pencils from Germany for 79 baht. There is
absolutely no way I can afford that much for an item that would
certainly be no dearer than 5 baht back home. I just flew half way
around the world business class you know! And how am I expected to test
them out if they are packaged and need sharpening? The whole process of
buying pencils in Chiang Mai is so foreign and incomprehensible that I
am overwhelmed to a point where one must reach out to the expat
community on an anonymous web forum for assistance.

Is there not a shop in Chiang Mai where one can buy pencils and after trying them return for full refund if not satisfied?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

A. Farang

CMtongue.png

Good one.

Is success marked by the number of serious replies ???

16 and counting.

Edited by philw
  • Like 1

My girlfriend is the only one using a pencil at my house and she prefers the feel of good old solid wood over a plastic mechanical pencil. She really likes to use my pencil that's loaded with #1 lead. That's lead so hard you can crack a tooth on it. The eraser or rubber is also an important consideration as accidents can happen. Good luck in finding your pencil.

• Like 2

Don't get me started on the poor quality of mechanical pencils here. When I was in college, with Engineering Drawing being part of my "studies", the German-made Pentil pencils were considered the best -- far superior to any traditional pencil. I was overjoyed to find Pentil mechanical pencils here at KSK Central B2S for 50 baht each.

Unfortunately, these aren't the high-end Pentil pencils, like the one Hubby gave me casually on our first date, like he was in the habit of giving mechanical pencils to girls he'd just met. No, these pencils don't have the little needle stuck in the interior of the eraser (to clean out the works). There are other major differences, but each time Hubby and I have to buy another cheapie "Pentil" pencil, we relive our first date and lament the passing of time.

Some girls liked flowers, I liked a really good mechanical pencil.

Faber Castelle Grip 1345 0.5 from the B2S stationary store in Robinsons at Airport Plaza, not always in stock but are good quality in case you like a change too.

Nice to see a funny humorous topic after reading all the arguments in general forum. Pencils are something I know something about. I use Stabilo, Staedtler, Dixon and Toyo art pencils. I have an electric sharpener or a razor blade knife. But I do have difficulty with erasers. Most harden when left open to air. However, when doing an art project I try not to use erasers at all unless I'm intentionally trying to smudge something. Like Nancy I have a couple of German made mechanical pencils for 2H and 4H lead.

Though the topic is genuine and an important one, it's topics/times like this where I miss the presence of old Blinky Bill. He woulda been all over this topic !

Btw - Thais seem not too fond of pencil + eraser coupling. They usually buy/use them separately. Try B2S and the Art Store just up from the UN Irish.

I bring all my own pens over from the US ever couple years. Can't stand the Thai/Asian fine pt tips !

The OP is taking the pee with you all. Besides that in each reply so far I have seen no mention of how pencil grade is measured or even what the OP wants.

As a building tech draughtsmen I like to think I know which is the best pencil for drawing,for detailing,for writing,for general stuff.....1B,2B,6B,2H,,3H,HH,HB.

You can get any of these at every stationers, and if you want propelling pencil you cannot get them made from wood.

Is it April 1st again

I very much sympathize with the OP. I had exactly the same problem.

For several weeks I also looked for good pencils in Chiang Mai.

Recently, I managed to buy a box of good pencils which are already

sharpened. If you ask the clerk politely they would surely allow you to

try them, that is, just to see how they write.

Problem is -- I don't recall where I bought them. Maybe Office Mate.

I no longer have the box, so the only information I can provide is that

the pencils are assorted colors -- red/gold, green/gold, and blue/gold

-- and are imprinted as follows:

Best Quality NANMEE NM- 5500 HB

Hope this helps.