Why Some People Take Such A Long Time At Check In Counters In Airport?

rookball

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a 6 'P' scenario:

Pre Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

There are many, many people need to understand the meaning of the above for an easier life style.

Or at least, an easier check in..................................thumbsup.gif

checking in shortly before the check in counter close and you don't have to wait at all, you can ask for a row without others, if not full of course, and chances are higher you will be upgraded, no need to wait long after the passport control, too.

Can't understand people moving into the plane at the gate as soon boarding will be announced, too. If you wait there until the masses are gone, you don't have to wait in line, have the best place at the overhead locker for hand luggage, see which rows are not occupied, less waiting inside the plane etc etc

• Like 1

If you book Tiger airlines then check in closes 20minutes before departure. But it actually says on the bottom of the ticket flights from india the check in closes 45mins before departure. I guess they have been experiencing problems with customers there.

• Like 1

Can't understand people moving into the plane at the gate as soon boarding will be announced, too. If you wait there until the masses are gone, you don't have to wait in line, have the best place at the overhead locker for hand luggage, see which rows are not occupied, less waiting inside the plane etc etc

The reason why people here want to get on first, is because they have hand luggage that is probably double the weight of their checked in luggage (if they checked any in). They then proceed to take up all the space in the overhead lockers. The irony is that some people can't even lift the bag, it's so heavy anf the flight attendant helps them without saying anything.....so much for 7 kilograms. If I had my way I'd make them get off and check it in, but we know that won't happen if the flight is to leave on time.

• Like 1

people take their time when you are in the que behind them for one reason only.....they couldn't give a <deleted> about you waiting in line behind them....it's worldwide as far as I can tell

You forgot as they walk down the aisle in the plane with their rucksack on their back they're blissfully unaware of smashing people in the face with it who are already seated!

Worst these days is the mobile phones and the "I must get off the second the planes wheels ( and sometimes before) touch down", click click clik click I hear followed by the hostess saying pls remain seated and seat belts on until the plane has come to a complete halt.

Oh what I'd give for a sudden stop sometimes and they go flying!

The reason why people here want to get on first, is because they have hand luggage that is probably double the weight of their checked in luggage (if they checked any in). They then proceed to take up all the space in the overhead lockers. The irony is that some people can't even lift the bag, it's so heavy anf the flight attendant helps them without saying anything.....so much for 7 kilograms. If I had my way I'd make them get off and check it in, but we know that won't happen if the flight is to leave on time.

The main reason for all that unnecessary hustle is unconscious tension to be left behind, which is not possible. If you are late, because immigration jam, they wait for you. If you have your boarding pass, no one else will sit on your seat. If you have hand luggage, there will always be room for that. No reason at all to be nervous, no reason at all to be relieved, if you finally sit at your seat.......

• Like 1

The main reason for all that unnecessary hustle is unconscious tension to be left behind, which is not possible. If you are late, because immigration jam, they wait for you. If you have your boarding pass, no one else will sit on your seat. If you have hand luggage, there will always be room for that. No reason at all to be nervous, no reason at all to be relieved, if you finally sit at your seat.......

Sure and that unconscious tension has probably been learned on buses, rail and even elevators.

Whole planeloads of passengers standing up and trying to force their way into the aisle as soon as the plane lands..only to have to wait for the transfer bus, wait on the transfer bus, wait at immigration, wait at baggage collection, wait wait wait

Delays at checkin counters occur because there are issues that have to be sorted out that the agent has trouble dealing with;

1. IT systems are slow or malfunctioning

2. Connections to other airlines have to be keyed in and the agent can't get it worked out

3. There is a flight problem on the route and the agent has to reroute or modify the itinerary

4. There are additional changes to make such as charging for excess luggage or an upgrade

5. People have buggered up their ticket or want to make a change.

6. The agent is inefficient.

Whole planeloads of passengers standing up and trying to force their way into the aisle as soon as the plane lands..only to have to wait for the transfer bus, wait on the transfer bus, wait at immigration, wait at baggage collection, wait wait wait

Not if you pay the extra 1000 bhat and fly in business class on TG

Or take the Nok premium seat.

On landing, I remain in my seat until the aisle is clear after almost everyone else has disembarked. Ironically, they look at me as though I've got heads while they jostle and elbow each other to gain one position. Wonder what they're thinking when my bags arrive first at the baggage claim?

• Like 1

On landing, I remain in my seat until the aisle is clear after almost everyone else has disembarked. Ironically, they look at me as though I've got heads while they jostle and elbow each other to gain one position. Wonder what they're thinking when my bags arrive first at the baggage claim?

Probably....Sh#t your good...clap2.gif

• Like 1

Not if you pay the extra 1000 bhat and fly in business class on TG

Or take the Nok premium seat.

Did you miss a zero or 2? How do you manage that as the flight I take regularly would cost me nearly two and a half times the same rate as the Economy fair?

At the risk of sounding racist; Indians! If there is a queue with an Indian in it I will avoid it if possible. I don't know why but they always seem to have an issue which requires time to sort out.

• Like 1

Pre Planning or online check will save some time, but in most cases you have to let your documents checked and luggage checked in anyway.

Most time is lost if people traveling together are trying to get a seat up to their wishes.

A bright example is KLM check in in Amsterdam:

- or check-in online and you skip the check-machines at the airport

- or check-in at the airport using one of the 10 machines

- check in luggage is going automatic through a machine.....just some simple questions, push some buttons, stick your label on to your luggage and ready........no more than 3-5 minutes.

In case of a machine which doesn't "understand" names or what ever or in case of overweight of luggage, their is a helpdesk. Regular and well-prepared travelers can do everything in minutes.

Twenty minutes per pax/record would mean it might take what, six hours to get a single flight checked in? So suspect that may be an exaggeration?

Or it could be everyone trying for a free upgrade. ;)

It is relatively easy to check-in on line, then you can use a separate desk if you need to check any bags, or have docs. verified, if required.

----------------

Some years ago the Airline Pilots Union attempted to start the idea of limiting the cabin baggage allowed to a single carry on bag weighing not more that 10 pounds in the U.S. on all airlines.

The idea was strongly opposed by the AIRLINES who feared they would lose customers and therefore revenue to those "pack rats" who seem to think they must carry all their earthly belongings with them on every journey they make by air.

Apparently they don't believe that they "can't take it with you" if the plane crashes and you die.

rolleyes.gif

Edited by IMA_FARANG

I feel your pain because it happens all the time, but your first sentence explained it. You travel frequently and know how to pack correctly. Many new to air travel don't. I always wonder about those that try to bring oversize goods into the cabin area. There are well advertised size measurements and number of goods that can be carried on board..

checking in shortly before the check in counter close and you don't have to wait at all, you can ask for a row without others, if not full of course, and chances are higher you will be upgraded, no need to wait long after the passport control, too.

What airline you talking about? Leaving the check-in to the last minute means you run the risk of getting caught behind the straggling Chinese tour group in security or Immigration with a guaranteed run to the gate.

When you get there just in time to stop giving your seat away to a standby passenger, all the overheads are full and you need to park your bag where your feet should be.

Done that many times and never any problems at all. First: The airline opens it check in counter according to the time needed + between the counter and gate. If someone would be late, gate staff and counter staff would know that you are one the way.

Second: The airplane is build so that for every seat there is storage above for hand luggage. It never happened, but if it would happen, that it would be full, everyone can ask the stewardess for assistance and she would manage that. Luggage under your feet is not allowed by many airlines.