Tesco Lotus Returns Policy ?

freedomnow

Hi, I just received a Samsung fridge but it turns out it is a bit too big for the only space I wanted to put it.

Is it possible to exchange it for a slightly smaller one ?

It is about 6 hours since they brought it here....

I thought there was a 7-day return period but my g/f says that may be for broken goods.

We are both not sure....!

Edited by freedomnow

Look mate I get that, but I also get that what staff tell you in Thailand varies and also especially if they don't want you to return stuff.

So I'm actually asking anyone who has been through the return process with Tesco white/electrical goods thanks.

As you may be aware things are not uniform here with information from govt. national branch/businesses when they should be and staff can tell completely different info in the same store/shop as I have experienced multiple times.

So it pays to go armed with other's experience rather than your smarmy "stating the obvious" reply.

Edited by freedomnow

I've returned small electrical cooking items to Tesco-Lotus within a few days of purchase, unused, of course, and had absolutely no problem getting a refund, or exchange.

If not to far, suggest you go down and inquire, but it'd be good of you to offer to pay the transportation for the item.

Did you save the large box? Hopefully.

When you go down, take a wander and see if they have an item for exchange, Samsung or other, then when you see the folks at Customer Service, have that item number and price handy when the discussion begins.

Mac

• Like 1

Thanyaburi Mac THANK YOU.Armed with that info, they cannot fob us off with "Sorry, no returns".

Yes, I have the retail box and everything that goes with that.

I actually saw a smaller Mitsubishi about 600 Baht less and smaller for the space I need it in.

Look mate I get that, but I also get that what staff tell you in Thailand varies and also especially if they don't want you to return stuff.

So I'm actually asking anyone who has been through the return process with Tesco white/electrical goods thanks.

As you may be aware things are not uniform here with information from govt. national branch/businesses when they should be and staff can tell completely different info in the same store/shop as I have experienced multiple times.

So it pays to go armed with other's experience rather than your smarmy "stating the obvious" reply.

Look mate, your girlfriend is (I assume) Thai. Send her down to Tesco's CUSTOMER SERVICE and get the details. Tesco's is a major retailer and they will have a published and legally binding policy regards your mistake in not measuring the bloody space before you bought the bloody fridge in the first place. Make sure you know the size of the fridge you actually want and make sure she speaks with CUSTOMER SERVICE and not one of those 'on commission' sales tossers that you bought the big fridge from.

Come back and post the happy ending story so that we can dispel another Thai myth that they are out to <deleted> over every Tom, Dick & Harry... and their girlfriends.

Cut the swearing out on the forums PAL.You seem to assume a lot without knowing a lot.

I already got my answer a few posts back without any condescending talk.

I have already had experience with CUSTOMER SERVICE here at HONDA and I had to fight tooth and nail to get a part replaced after buying and taking back a 2 weeks old scooter to the main after-service department and watched while the mechanic blatantly lied about the component having no problem thus putting my life in danger if I did not push for its replacement (now working 100% fine) part. So it is no myth that even at big companies / gov't departments here that their is a serious lack of consistency/integrity.

• Like 1

I though there was a 7-day return period but my g/f says that may be for broken goods.

I've got a bit of an outside of the box idea. It's a little bit far fetched, so bear with me.

Call Tesco and ask them what their return policy is for refrigerators.

laugh.png

My experience is that if you go back and say you want something else (more money helps), there's rarely a problem. If you wanted a 100% refund on the other hand...

Btw, the last Mitsu I bought (midrange; read, not a cheapo), it was noisy such that I wouldn't buy from them again. Had an Electrolux for donkey's years which purred like a kitten. Having said that, everything (without exception) nowadays seems to be thrown together with the cheapest parts and falls to bits fast.

FAQ
Can I exchange or return the product I have purchased? If I can, within how many days do I have to do that?

Tesco Lotus has carefully selected our quality products to offer to our customers. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can exchange or return and refund for your money back within 7 days after you first purchased it. However, products must be in its normal condition and the receipt must be presented for the return.

http://www.tescolotus.com/faq.php?lang=en

ON paper anyway in theory but ................just out of curiosity my g/f asked a member of staff about exchanging it at ANOTHER Tesco and he said, "No you have used it "(for all of 6 hours)....despite the "However, products must be in its normal condition and the receipt must be presented for the return."

So as I was trying to say, it's better to walk in with info on how easy it is to exchange with that particular companies and know that even with international companies the response usually varies despite written guidelines. Forewarned is forearmed.....

Nothing to do with theory - I have changed things in the electrical department at Tesco Hang Dong (Chiang Mai), just say, I'm returning this as per your returns policy - no need for further explanations. They will just give the item and packaging the once over and give you a refund. Mind you I've never returned a major appliance like a fridge, but their returns covers all electrical goods I believe. My wife even changed a phone after several days, again no problem. Don't worry what staff say to your gf, look at their returns policy on any customer service desk, that's what counts......if you've actually been in Thailand a while surely you know not to ask 'the staff' they will say anything, talk to the manager...up.

No problem to change it. But no refund I think.

Can get refund as well. The 7 day return policy is one of the reasons to shop at Tesco.. excellent service.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

No problem to change it. But no refund I think.

Tesco Lotus has carefully selected our quality products to offer to our customers. If you are not satisfied with your purchase, you can exchange or return and refund for your money back within 7 days after you first purchased it. However, products must be in its normal condition and the receipt must be presented for the return.

Thanks Thanyaburi, Harry and uptheos, solid advice.

Sorry Freedomnow but you are I'm afraid a bit of a dipstick if you went to the extent of purchasing

a fridge that had to fit into a fixed dimension space without making any attempt to determine the size

of the space or the fridge DUH!! clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by phuketjock

Nobody said anything about the space being fixed, you haggis chasing <deleted>.burp.gif Did you think up your witty comment after knocking over your "bed of bottles" and waking up at 4pm yesterday and get a Thai to help you with your spelling ?

There's visualising where it will go, seeing it in the huge space of the store and finally getting it in the room and finding out it does not go well with furniture around it in terms of HEIGHT.

"OOT AYE HERE"

Edited by freedomnow

How about the warrenty itself

Bought 3 Powercords and all of them are faulty after a while so only 300 baht but I not want believe there is no product garranty at all so I not have the bill of purchase

Yes I also not understand why Thai people have a resistance to ask other

I though there was a 7-day return period but my g/f says that may be for broken goods.

I've got a bit of an outside of the box idea. It's a little bit far fetched, so bear with me.

Despite the o/p not enjoying the response, I must confess I cannot stop laughing! Thanks!laugh.png

• Like 1

Nobody said anything about the space being fixed, you haggis chasing <deleted>.burp.gif Did you think up your witty comment after knocking over your "bed of bottles" and waking up at 4pm yesterday and get a Thai to help you with your spelling ?

There's visualising where it will go, seeing it in the huge space of the store and finally getting it in the room and finding out it does not go well with furniture around it in terms of HEIGHT.

"OOT AYE HERE"

Oh now I get it the " HEIGHT " was wrong, yeah right that makes sense giggle.gif

Perhaps your mark one visualising eye needs re-calibrating. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Seem to recall someone coming up with this earlier in the thread???

" Cut the swearing out on the forums PAL.You seem to assume a lot without knowing a lot." coffee1.gif

laugh.png

My experience is that if you go back and say you want something else (more money helps), there's rarely a problem. If you wanted a 100% refund on the other hand...

Btw, the last Mitsu I bought (midrange; read, not a cheapo), it was noisy such that I wouldn't buy from them again. Had an Electrolux for donkey's years which purred like a kitten. Having said that, everything (without exception) nowadays seems to be thrown together with the cheapest parts and falls to bits fast.

Though not an answer to the op question what you say is, I believe, called "built in obsolecensce ( excuse spelling).

FAQ
Can I exchange or return the product I have purchased? If I can, within how many days do I have to do that?

ON paper anyway in theory but ................just out of curiosity my g/f asked a member of staff about exchanging it at ANOTHER Tesco and he said, "No you have used it "(for all of 6 hours)....despite the "However, products must be in its normal condition and the receipt must be presented for the return."

So as I was trying to say, it's better to walk in with info on how easy it is to exchange with that particular companies and know that even with international companies the response usually varies despite written guidelines. Forewarned is forearmed.....

Does your g/f know the Thai word for 'Customer Service'?

Sorry I swore in my last shot of advice... but why on earth is she buggering about asking 'members of staff' about totally complicating the bloody standard returns policy by trying to give it back at another store? Can you do that in the UK? You want to change the fridge for something smaller, just go ahead and DO IT.

Anyway, please do come back and report on the success or otherwise of your self-styled 'Mission Impossible'.

PS. Get yourself a measuring tape in the hardware aisle while you are at it. You really need it!

• Like 1

FAQ

Does your g/f know the Thai word for 'Customer Service'?

Sorry I swore in my last shot of advice... but why on earth is she buggering about asking 'members of staff' about totally complicating the bloody standard returns policy by trying to give it back at another store? Can you do that in the UK? You want to change the fridge for something smaller, just go ahead and DO IT.

Anyway, please do come back and report on the success or otherwise of your self-styled 'Mission Impossible'.

PS. Get yourself a measuring tape in the hardware aisle while you are at it. You really need it!

If you leave it up to Thai gf/wives to change something it becomes one of the most exasperating experiences. They never read the customer service terms of sale, they never talk to the manager but rather some youngster that doesn't intimidate them and then they take the word of that person! Even more annoying is when they do it over the phone and say "they promised".........no name, no number, no time, no date......no nothing, just some person

Yes, don't involve your Thai partner, even if s/he could handle it the odds are it will cause unnecessary friction in your relationship, which I assume is worth more than saving a few baht to you.

Go down with the receipt, go to the customer service desk ask to speak with the manager and/or a staff member with decent English if your Thai isn't good enough. Explain the situation just like you did with us and be ready with the model number of the unit you want as a replacement.

Don't push on the price difference issue, and offer to pay for the transportation costs if needed. Keep it light and friendly, be easy-going and calm and 99% sure everything will be fine.

Edited by GottaGo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanyaburi Mac THANK YOU.Armed with that info, they cannot fob us off with "Sorry, no returns".

Yes, I have the retail box and everything that goes with that.

I actually saw a smaller Mitsubishi about 600 Baht less and smaller for the space I need it in.

1) You are talking not about "return" but 'EXCHANGE".

2) In 6 years I have returned 3 items for inferior quality. Never any problems, though in one instance I didn't keep my receipt. Tesco is co-operative.

3) My wife was feeling embarrassed as she said "this is not Thai custom... they only did it because you're farang". I don't believe her in this one.