Where To Find Quality Expats In Thailand

andrew

What I'd like to find is others who are egalitarian in their outlook. Those who don't think they are "better and at the top of the barrel" (the nouveau riche) but see others as the people they are. People who don't look down their noses at others. I'm a local-hire academic and not financially "successful" but reasonably comfortable. My writing has influenced some pretty important events/trends but not brought wealth with it since I honestly have not sought any. I'm happy, though not completely. Drive a motorcycle Not a big car. In fact, no car at all. Rent a nice little house that would be called a bungalow if it were near the beach. Eat in a farrand-priced western style restaurant only once a month because a) I can't afford more, B) don't live on the opposite side of the world from my home just to ignore the wonderful culture of our host and live in relative isolation in a foreign "ghetto," as such, and c) honestly like Thai food.

Where can I find such folks for a cup of coffee and hang out/talk/lunch/dinner? The boat taxi somewhere of interest might be a good idea. (No, I'm not gay for you homophobes out there, just like to have interesting friends and conversation.) A book/Wednesday movie/hang put group. Preferably mixed gender since it's more interesting and ...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by asupeartea

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Japanese and Americans who did those things are dead now, perhaps we could look for a new chapter in world affairs. We could dig up old atrocities from pretty much any country, especially colonial powers but including any and all wars. Wars themselves are atrocities, powerful people send less powerful people's children to violently solve disagreements they couldn't solve in a more civilized way. You said, " ... That is a bit of a newcomer mistake... A: Thank you oh wise one. That's why it's called live and learn.

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, .....Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.... That is a bit of a newcomer mistake... (Thank you oh worse one.) A
Do some research about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and share you feelings about american men.
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by asupeartea
  • Like 1

I heard that too, but then I researched it. The were more support personnel than convicts, who stayed as well. Lots of people immigrated post penal colony. Floods of people have immigrated in the last half century as well. Sound like just another BS stereotype to me since all of the Aussies I've met were kind intelligent and, most importantly to me, fun people. I guess I've got my own stereotype but it's à positive one. Probably helps that almost all of them are teachers of one sort or another.

I once met an expat female yoga insructor who had worked in both Phuket and Chiang Mai.  She said the expats in Phuket "had more money than brains" and the ones in Chiang Mai had "more brains that money".

Personally, I'm glad to be part of the brainy crowd.

Any chance you can PM me the details of the expat female yoga instructor?

PM me too, please.

I find the best place to meet "quality" people in Thailand is at a health club or gym with a swimming pool. They tend to attract more positive people and you can get to know them little by little over a period of time. Personally, I don't think that "quality" necessarily correlates with income or education.

Absolutely, take me for example. smile.png

Why not? As an Australian I am constantly reminded my ancestors were convicts

Mate as the brother-in-law of an Aussie bloke I fully sympathize with you. I mean, that sort of bland stereotyping of your ancestors is just not acceptable.

Your folks could just as well have been the prison wardens biggrin.png

• Like 1

My father's ancestors were poor farmers who emigrated to Australia from Scotland in the 1860's. My mother's parents were wealthy German merchants who had arrived in Australia in the 1920's. I've dined in a suit at Bangkok's best restaurants and I've torn my Singha singlet falling off a Bangla stool.

I thought everyone was as individual as I am and I'd never really considered slotting anybody I know into one layer I'd prefer to associate with more than any other. The whole barrel concept confuses me.

(Oh, I also like street racing on the way to the theatre and eating smoked salmon off a plastic plate)

My father's ancestors were poor farmers who emigrated to Australia from Scotland in the 1860's. My mother's parents were wealthy German merchants who had arrived in Australia in the 1920's. I've dined in a suit at Bangkok's best restaurants and I've torn my Singha singlet falling off a Bangla stool.

I thought everyone was as individual as I am and I'd never really considered slotting anybody I know into one layer I'd prefer to associate with more than any other. The whole barrel concept confuses me.

(Oh, I also like street racing on the way to the theatre and eating smoked salmon off a plastic plate)

Do you let your Thai wife drive your V8?

Do you let your Thai wife drive your V8?

I would, but she prefers to drive her own (which she doesn't allow me to drive). I think she's become carried away and forgotten her place in the scale of things.

• Like 1

I find the best place to meet "quality" people in Thailand is at a health club or gym with a swimming pool. They tend to attract more positive people and you can get to know them little by little over a period of time. Personally, I don't think that "quality" necessarily correlates with income or education.

Absolutely, take me for example. smile.png

But you already takentongue.png

Why not? As an Australian I am constantly reminded my ancestors were convicts

Mate as the brother-in-law of an Aussie bloke I fully sympathize with you. I mean, that sort of bland stereotyping of your ancestors is just not acceptable.

Your folks could just as well have been the prison wardens biggrin.png

Where do you think prison wardens were recruited from after a few years?

Edited by BookMan

Ranong vs. Rayong

The Nation article headline:

11 bodies found floating off Rayong

The first line of the article:

Eleven bodies believed to be from Myanmar's Koh Song province were found floating off Ranong province Sunday.

Now, if even they can't get it right....

Do some research about Hiroshima and Nagasaki and share you feelings about american men.

Research Pearl Harbor, Iwo Jima, The Battle of Wake, Kamakazi pilots and the stated Japanese refusal to ever surrender. Need I go on?

If you are not much of reader as I assume, watch Oliver Stone's " Untold American History " Interesting information from liberal communistsmile.png

Just to add to your crappy op, my wife married a farmer's son. So how's that make you feel? Am I on your low level opinion also? No wonder you have trouble finding friends.

That doesn't make sense. You must be seperated before she got remarried

Krisb has already given the answer.

I have never been impressed with money, or people with lots of it. In fact, most of the cool folks you will meet are not filthy rich, or if they are you will never know from them.

Truly rich people never flaunt it,and are invarably people that don't need to be Superior in order to make others feel Inferior. Now That's real class! and interesting people come from all walks of life,not where you choose to call home.

• Like 1

I am the guy who started the thread "my recent trip to Udon".

Unfortunately you are missing the point I made about expats. In this thread you have graded expats entirely on their income. I am only in my forties and have retired early to Thailand as a self made millionaire. However, I do not judge other expats by their net worth, or their salary.

I judge them on their self respect. In Udon, I did not observe a single expat who took pride in himself or his conduct.

OMG, i am so sorry not to live up to your expectations! How long were you in Nutty Park? Next time Open your mind and get out and about. You will see better things. Jeesh...self made millionaires can't be all that dumb....

• 9 months later...

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, that Udon expats are the bottom of the barrel. I have been through there many times, and each time that concept is reinforced.. Was in a small bar beer the last time , at the Day and Night bar beer center. There was a farang passed out stone cold in the corner of the bar. A pleasant Thai woman was there with her 1 year old child. When I asked her who the passed out guy was, she said it was her husband.....

Side note: Have also been to Ranong many times, do not recall seeing any Japanese expats in large numbers. Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.

Wait, have you confused Ranong and Rayong ? That is a bit of a newcomer mistake.....

So someone should have no respect for Japanese men today because of what the country did in WWII? Should we not respect all American men because of USA's past atrocities of slavery and also what was done to the Native Americans?

Certainly Japan's history of imperialism leading up to WWII was very brutal and shameful. And certainly the country, men and women, should do more to admit their past mistakes and show respect to those countries they committed such horrendous acts against, but to extend this to say one should not respect any men from Japan today is just wrong thinking and a slippery slope. One can find atrocities performed in almost every country, so if we applied the same logic, we should not respect anybody.

Regardless of what a country and government may have done, best to not make broad brush strokes (either way) and judge each individual on their own merit.

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, that Udon expats are the bottom of the barrel. I have been through there many times, and each time that concept is reinforced.. Was in a small bar beer the last time , at the Day and Night bar beer center. There was a farang passed out stone cold in the corner of the bar. A pleasant Thai woman was there with her 1 year old child. When I asked her who the passed out guy was, she said it was her husband.....

Side note: Have also been to Ranong many times, do not recall seeing any Japanese expats in large numbers. Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.

Wait, have you confused Ranong and Rayong ? That is a bit of a newcomer mistake.....

So someone should have no respect for Japanese men today because of what the country did in WWII? Should we not respect all American men because of USA's past atrocities of slavery and also what was done to the Native Americans?

Certainly Japan's history of imperialism leading up to WWII was very brutal and shameful. And certainly the country, men and women, should do more to admit their past mistakes and show respect to those countries they committed such horrendous acts against, but to extend this to say one should not respect any men from Japan today is just wrong thinking and a slippery slope. One can find atrocities performed in almost every country, so if we applied the same logic, we should not respect anybody.

Regardless of what a country and government may have done, best to not make broad brush strokes (either way) and judge each individual on their own merit.

When Japan acknowledges their atrocities concerning the comfort women , and makes restitution to them, I will then consider it a closed chapter in Japanese history. They have not done this......

Regarding slavery, that certainly was a dark moment in American history. And a long long time ago.

And for your edification, it was was Africans capturing West Africans, and the trading was done by

European traders... You are not from any of these countries are you ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

"The Atlantic slave traders, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, theFrench, the Spanish, the Dutch Empire, and the United States. They had established outposts on the African coast where they purchased slaves from local African tribal leaders."

On a side note, the atrocities visited upon China by the Japanese are not forgotten. Traveling in

China, on CCTV I saw constant programs about the role on Japan in WW2. For some light reading,

read The rape of Nanking, for a look into the character of Japanese soldiers......

Edited by EyesWideOpen

When Japan acknowledges their atrocities concerning the comfort women , and makes restitution to them, I will then consider it a closed chapter in Japanese history. They have not done this......

Regarding slavery, that certainly was a dark moment in American history. And a long long time ago.

And for your edification, it was was Africans capturing West Africans, and the trading was done by

European traders... You are not from any of these countries are you ??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_slave_trade

"The Atlantic slave traders, ordered by trade volume, were: the Portuguese, the British, theFrench, the Spanish, the Dutch Empire, and the United States. They had established outposts on the African coast where they purchased slaves from local African tribal leaders."

On a side note, the atrocities visited upon China by the Japanese are not forgotten. Traveling in

China, on CCTV I saw constant programs about the role on Japan in WW2. For some light reading,

read The rape of Nanking, for a look into the character of Japanese soldiers......

So, until the Japanese government makes restitution, you will not respect anyone from Japan? That is a broad brush stroke to paint. Do you feel the same about Japanese Women, or do they get a pass because most of the atrocities were done at the hands of men, even if women supported the men?

And do you use this logic to not respect all citizens of other countries who have committed atrocities, but have not made restitution. So, for the countries that participated in slavery, do you hold the same view? There have been and are still some movements to seek restitution from America and European countries that participated in the slave trading, so it is surely not forgotten either. Or does this logic not apply because it was a long long time ago, and there a time limit where it no longer applies if enough time has passed?

I certainly agree with you that Japan needs to fully recognize its past and own up to it, apologize, and make restitution. And I would add, they should also fully teach the history of their atrocities accurately in schools, so they continue to learn and be aware of past mistakes to better prevent the same mistakes in the future. But, I dont agree that every man (not sure what you feel about the women) should not be accorded respect because of their government's position. How do you know if that person agrees with their government or not?

I am fully aware that the atrocities are not forgotten. It is in the news still today, whenever the Japanese PM, now Abe, visits the Yasukuni shrine to pay respects to the war dead, it incites China and South Korea and causes an uproar. Yes, the lack of acknowledgement, ownership, lack of remorse and insensitivity by the Japanese government is deplorable.

I am fully aware of the horrors that were committed by the Japanese. The horrific acts committed during WWII were inhumane and unfathomable that people could be that barbaric, evil and insensitive without any sense of morality or compassion. I own the book "The Rape of Nanking", even got it signed by the author, Iris Chang, whom I met when I attended a reading she gave on that book. May she RIP ,since she has passed on.

I also have seen exhibits and documentaries explaining and showing the horrific photos from the war. Photos showing the Japanese army using live people for bayonet practice, and the medical units that performed unspeakable experiments on Chinese. And taking Chinese and South Korean women and forcing them to be used as "comfort" women. I have talked with people from the organization called "Alliance to Preserve the Truth of the Sino-Japanese War" and attended their exhibits and I fully support their mission. I even bought their T-shirt to help support their cause and publicize awareness. Surely, it should never be forgotten. But, even that organization states "There is no ill feeling or hatred towards the Japanese people. The Japanese civilians, in fact, were also the victims of a handful of Japanese militarists who brought unspeakable horror to permanently scar the victimized nations, including Japan". They even see that not all Japanese should be lumped into a group to hate, even in face of the facts that what was done was unforgivable and beyond comprehension. So, I hope this underscores that I am fully aware of the history and fully know that it is not forgotten and still continues today.

I am also sure you too will find Native Americans, or Black Americans that still harbor some resentment or have not forgotten. And rightly so. And there are many more cases, from the Jewish atrocities in Europe in WWII to ones that continue to today. And while I understand the resentment against a country, I still feel we should not lump all citizens into one big group and not accord them respect without knowing them individually.

So, the point in the discussion is really not about what Japan did, and what continues today, but more about whether one should lump all men from this country into one group to not respect because of what their country or government did and still does. I feel we should not. And also brings the question that if one does, does that person hold the same logic for men or citizens for every other country that committed atrocities and did not acknowledge and make restitution, so to question the logic of why one is not consistent.

Hawaii has many Japanese...The judge was J.. Now Phillipino..Haole..《caucasian》..

Udon was very clean after Chaing Mai..less Red Clay dirt? Check out Thai Ombudsman film..here on Forum..Sweet! Alohz

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app