Where To Find Quality Expats In Thailand

andrew

Just to add to your crappy op, my wife married a farmer's son. So how's that make you feel? Am I on your low level opinion also? No wonder you have trouble finding friends.

That doesn't make sense. You must be seperated before she got remarried
Does make sense, my father was a farmer.
  • Like 1

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add to your crappy op, my wife married a farmer's son. So how's that make you feel? Am I on your low level opinion also? No wonder you have trouble finding friends.

Does make sense, my father was a farmer.

Farmers in farangland are generally more affluent than in LOS. I too am a farmers son.

I am the guy who started the thread "my recent trip to Udon".

Unfortunately you are missing the point I made about expats. In this thread you have graded expats entirely on their income. I am only in my forties and have retired early to Thailand as a self made millionaire. However, I do not judge other expats by their net worth, or their salary.

I judge them on their self respect. In Udon, I did not observe a single expat who took pride in himself or his conduct.

well said, but since you are talking about you being a millionaire i ask you this , if you are a reader of this forum you would have seen a member asking for money to buy a lawn mower for the father ray orphanage ..did you give any donation to this ?

How true Kevvy....all these so called millionaires, but it was a battle to raise money for a mower. Expats with nothing to do, should have gone down to the Father Ray Orphanage and put in a day helping to clean up with the guy who is struggling on his own to achieve something for a bunch of kids, no one wants....

I once met an expat female yoga insructor who had worked in both Phuket and Chiang Mai.  She said the expats in Phuket "had more money than brains" and the ones in Chiang Mai had "more brains that money".

Personally, I'm glad to be part of the brainy crowd.

...and what of expats in Pattaya? There is only one option left: neither money nor brains?

Jim Rogers mantra of the last decade is the city people will be broke and jobless and the farmers will be driving Mercedes.

But JR is an idiot, Andrew the real genius.

I love gardening, wish I could have some land, but im stuck in BKK with the wife.

Enjoy going back to US to visit my parents. All the small farms... -where the stupid farmers subdivided land and built luxury homes and took their savings and invested it in nearby resort city, idiots I tell you!

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, that Udon expats are the bottom of the barrel. I have been through there many times, and each time that concept is reinforced.. Was in a small bar beer the last time , at the Day and Night bar beer center. There was a farang passed out stone cold in the corner of the bar. A pleasant Thai woman was there with her 1 year old child. When I asked her who the passed out guy was, she said it was her husband.....

Side note: Have also been to Ranong many times, do not recall seeing any Japanese expats in large numbers. Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.

Wait, have you confused Ranong and Rayong ? That is a bit of a newcomer mistake.....

You have just placed yourself right in the bottom of the barrel with the rest of the mongers, the day and night beer center?. It's just full of girly bars no other type of bar in that place, what do you expect.

There are plenty of decent Western expats in Udon but I am sorry you won't find them anywhere near day and night.

There are strange Westerners all over Thailand full stop, once I had a Thai massage at a reputable place (no happy endings) and the girls couldn't believe I was British because I don't have tatoos. These girls were stereotyping, a little like this thread.

• Like 2

"All are married to farmers daughters".

Well there must have been an up grade as I was reading a similar topic to this in another forum and most of the up country scummers were all married to farm hands.

Not to worry, time to restock the fridge with Leo.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The best place to find high quality expats in Thailand would be at Suvarnabhumi airport in the THAI Royal First Lounge.

I met some Bangladeshi carrier pigeons there a couple of times. Great chaps. smile.png

Edited by Payboy

Unfortunately you are missing the point I made about expats. In this thread you have graded expats entirely on their income. I am only in my forties and have retired early to Thailand as a self made millionaire. However, I do not judge other expats by their net worth, or their salary.

I judge them on their self respect. In Udon, I did not observe a single expat who took pride in himself or his conduct.

well said, but since you are talking about you being a millionaire i ask you this , if you are a reader of this forum you would have seen a member asking for money to buy a lawn mower for the father ray orphanage ..did you give any donation to this ?

How true Kevvy....all these so called millionaires, but it was a battle to raise money for a mower. Expats with nothing to do, should have gone down to the Father Ray Orphanage and put in a day helping to clean up with the guy who is struggling on his own to achieve something for a bunch of kids, no one wants....

well, i know you and I helped him and the kids got the benefit so much for all the pric*s who say they have money

• Like 1

I must have been lucky...met a few really decent down to earth expats in Thailand.

To all those others I havent met...I would like to meet a couple of "bored, lonely, end of their teather" retired Expats, with engineering background, to help carry on with a project for the "foundation"...any takers????

I new a Former Boxer from Rayong who used to use his wife as a punching bag, his Aussie neighbour was married to a bar girl, I ditched them after 5 minutes.

Is this the class you talk about, also met good guys their so perhaps the region has nothing to do with it.

I really don't look for expats when I'm out and about, I prefer to focus on woman, If your so interested in the male of the species there are some places in patpong that you may like if your that way inclined, not saying that you are.

Edited by muythai2013

I'm going to take a bite at this and offer a defense of what I have seen of Issan foreigners. A considerable notch above what I experienced in Phuket. Why? Because they are older and have the experience of life. Older people are less likely to engage in the idiotic behaviour parts of Phuket and Pattaya are known for. Maybe the Issan foreigners are lower on the "social" class, but if I need someone reliable to fix something or a person that had a skilled trade background, I'll gladly take the Issan gamble. It's easy to be smug when the toilet is working or the fuses aren't regularly blowing. Some of those foreigners in Issan can fix anything and for me, that's worth something. Issan foreign drivers are also a heck of a lot more courteous than what I experienced in Phuket and will often stop and help someone. Only Thais would stop and offer a hand when I got a flat or had a motorbike issue in Phuket. I think decency counts on the class scale.

I am a big fan of Hua Hin, although my Thai friends find it boring and tell me that hanging out with me is like visiting their grandparents at times.

That being said, my Thai friends also are very critical of the Hua Hin police saying they specifically target foreign drivers and offer slurping sounds or rub their hands when criticizing the BiB. Despite that, I find that the BiB are a lot more respectful of the older foreigners than they were in Phuket. Maybe it is because they know they are not dealing with unsophisticated boobs. Yes, most foreigners are elderly. I love it. No one picks fights in the bar and the ladies interested in a foreigner all gravitate to me as they at least know I have a pulse. wink.png Trouble is, Hua Hin must have the ugliest bar workers in all of Thailand. I think it is where the old bar girls go to die. whistling.gif

• Like 2

If a plane crashed on the border of Thailand and Cambodia, where would they bury the survivors?

Underground? Wait, was that a trick question? :o

Thats because you are looking in the wrong places.

I've lived in Udon 5 years and like many here dont frequent bars. For every drunk you see there are probably 100 like me ,family man, retired and content with life. Dont judge us by what you see in Day & Night or Nutty Park, they are in every city and are generally in the minority.

Nowt wrong with drinking in moderation,i have a few beers in Pattaya a couple of days a week,soley to meet mates who ARE HERE on hols or live here.U can speak to me before or after 11pm too.I like Udon very much but not seen drunks there,am i missing something lol.

• Like 2

well to be honest I find that most places have something good going for them, mind you I dont hang out in bars or drink very much. I would rather go through the markets than piss my money against a wall or play hide the sausage with some street girl but then I am not trying to relive my youth. I find most of the smaller towns pretty good, Ranong is a dive, I go there every 3 months and it is not what I would call classy, Lampang is heaps better especially the weekend markets and the people seem a lot friendlier. Chang Mai has a briliant market but there are a lot of idiots/drunks there, the town is pretty good though, Bangkok smells pretty bad and apart from chattachak and some of the shopping centres its nothing to rave about, does have some great nurseries though. Hua hin is ok, nothing special, Phuket is dangerous too many bad apples there, the towns between Phuket and Surat arent too bad and neither are those north of Bangkok. In reality you get what you look for, go looking for shit and you will find same if you go looking for the good elements, to each, their own,

• Like 2

If a plane crashed on the border of Thailand and Cambodia, where would they bury the survivors?

If it was me, half in Cambodia and half in Thailand.

But that is just me, a little bit twisted. The dead I would bring home..................tongue.png

Ranong has another reputation. It's more lawless than Huayyai (google it).

Hua Hin? All fur coat and no underwear IMHO.

Bangkok? Talented expat managers? Missed that, sorry. Loads of boilermen and farang 'pretties' thinking the are making it large though.

TEFL'ers? Leave 'em alone. They are more to be pitied than scorned after all.

Phuket has it's farang Muay Thai students... those that aren't banged up that is.

We have the OP quoting other people's opinion of Udon Thani and the expats that reside there. Then we have the author of the thread that the OP based his arbitrary classification on saying that he didn't come across much he liked in Udon Thani. He also mentions the Day Night bar complex, also known as 'The Cowshed' to the suave and sophisticated farangs in Udon Thani. These are the guys that DO NOT come in from Nakhon Nowhere on a songtaew to get blootered at The Cowshed or other places along Soi Sampan either. Labeling Udon Thani's typical farang this way is just the same as those that paint all the Pattaya farangs with the same brush.

BTW, I am leaving Udon Thani after 6 years of the good, country life... and moving back to Pattaya. But there's a nice bit of southern Nakhon Ratchasima province called Wangnamkeow. Some call it Thailand's 'Little Switzerland'. I just hope there's no bloody Swiss there!

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 2

Ranong has another reputation. It's more lawless than Huayyai (google it).

Hua Hin? All fur coat and no underwear IMHO.

Bangkok? Talented expat managers? Missed that, sorry. Loads of boilermen and farang 'pretties' thinking the are making it large though.

TEFL'ers? Leave 'em alone. They are more to be pitied than scorned after all.

Phuket has it's farang Muay Thai students... those that aren't banged up that is.

We have the OP quoting other people's opinion of Udon Thani and the expats that reside there. Then we have the author of the thread that the OP based his arbitrary classification on saying that he didn't come across much he liked in Udon Thani. He also mentions the Day Night bar complex, also known as 'The Cowshed' to the suave and sophisticated farangs in Udon Thani. These are the guys that DO NOT come in from Nakhon Nowhere on a songtaew to get blootered at The Cowshed or other places along Soi Sampan either. Labeling Udon Thani's typical farang this way is just the same as those that paint all the Pattaya farangs with the same brush.

BTW, I am leaving Udon Thani after 6 years of the good, country life... and moving back to Pattaya. But there's a nice bit of southern Nakhon Ratchasima province called Wangnamkeow. Some call it Thailand's 'Little Switzerland'. I just hope there's no bloody Swiss there!

Leaving Udon Thani for Pattaya,I don't know whether to laugh or cry?sad.png

Where is the big pot that needs stirring? It's always more of the same here... Put down everyone else who doesn't have the same life style as yourself.

It is easy to pick out the dregs of society. They are everywhere and in every country. Who knows what went on in their lives to place them in that situation. All anyone needs to know is how to make your own life happy. For every unhappy loser in Pattaya there are probably 2 or 3 that are enjoying themselves more in Pats than anywhere else they might choose to be. I can't speak for Udon Thani because I've never been there. But, There are lots of places in my home country of Canada that would also bore me silly if I couldn't get out and travel.

• Like 2

you don't need to have a lot of money to have pride, and class, and manners.

Like that bloke Korski who is running around south east asia writing essays on ex pat bar flies (and putting them on Stickman's Site). What a crock!

That one I just read about 'Cal' in Cambodia. The bloke was 'Trailer Trash' in Texas BEFORE he moved to Cambodia <deleted>! Now he is some wise old sage living in the mystic east.

Get real.