Swedes Abandon Thailand As Tourist Destination

webfact

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Swedish neighbors moved out because of the all night open air karaoke bar on Theprasit Soi 7.

The police let them operate illegally, keeping the neighbors awake.

Phone calls to City Hall are ignored.

Shocking to see numerous developers pre-selling units in this area with the buyers unaware the bar will keep them up all night.

Good luck sleeping if you buy into The Maldives, Dusit Grand Park, Laguna or Zen Condominiums in Jomtien.

Not smart in first place rent close to karaoke bar.. Sweden people are cheap charlis. they like it cheap, is them and the Germans you see in taxfree shops with a calculator to see if the deal is better than in shops.. you guys that write here, dont know antything about russians,, That very clear. i Been living around them last 14 years ,and is best people ever if you manage get closer, and the womens are fantastic. Then is talk about chinese and Koreans.. So if you are a guy, think how many of them you just had a normal talk to ... my guess its 0 Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, is the biggest Racist ever.. they have no interest even to talk to you.. and how many of you have ever nailed one of them .. my guess ,in this forum ,is lot of men that never get a nice women in a normal way..exept a thai that love you for the money you provide. So think about this for 10 min .. whats the reallity for your life..

My Swedish neighbors moved out because of the all night open air karaoke bar on Theprasit Soi 7.

Shocking to see numerous developers pre-selling units in this area with the buyers unaware the bar will keep them up all night.

Good luck sleeping if you buy into The Maldives, Dusit Grand Park, Laguna or Zen Condominiums in Jomtien.

Not smart in first place rent close to karaoke bar.. Sweden people are cheap charlis. they like it cheap, is them and the Germans you see in taxfree shops with a calculator to see if the deal is better than in shops.. you guys that write here, dont know antything about russians,, That very clear. i Been living around them last 14 years ,and is best people ever if you manage get closer, and the womens are fantastic. Then is talk about chinese and Koreans.. So if you are a guy, think how many of them you just had a normal talk to ... my guess its 0 Chinese, Korean, and Japanese, is the biggest Racist ever.. they have no interest even to talk to you.. and how many of you have ever nailed one of them .. my guess ,in this forum ,is lot of men that never get a nice women in a normal way..exept a thai that love you for the money you provide. So think about this for 10 min .. whats the reallity for your life..

You've obviously never spent much time with Chinese women. Love them to bits. Not the old dears if course m

In the interests of political correctness can I make a request for a bit less Thai bashing on TVF and a lot more Russian and Chinese bashing.

Tea Boy 928 can go with his sour puss face Russian women with nice bodies if he wishes. If he prefers the full fat Russian woman in preference to the half fat Swede that is of course also up to him.

BAD NEWS FOR THAILAND!

Swedes have been the travel industry trendsetters since the end of the 1950ies. What they do will be followed by all other European's within a few years.

The reasons for leaving Thailand are probably a combination of the following:

• Spain has become cheap
  • US has become cheap
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extremely dirty beaches and cities in Thailand
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extreme corruption in Thailand

I don't believe the Russians are a big problem. They are all over Europe as well.

You're right about Spain, it's starting to regain it's rightful place as a cheap sunshine option......it spent far too long thinking it was Monte Carlo.

• Like 1

I don't go to Phuket, so maybe they get a different "class" of tourist. However, the Chinese, Koreans and few (maybe two or three) Russians I have met and chatted with up here in CM, have all been nice and friendly people.

Got stopped by an elderly Chinese man a few months ago in the local mall Airport Plaza). He thought my kids might be half Chinese - they are an 1/8th so, but mostly Thai/English. His English was very pigeon (much better than my Mandarin though!), but he was jovial, and obviously delighted that they were at least part Chinese. He laughed almost constantly.

Used to have a Korean family come in to my old café. Really nice people - husband, wife and four kids of carious ages. Very friendly, tried hard to speak English - tried hard to speak Thai too - always happy, always chatty and friendly.

Only Russians I have met up here has been at the Arcade bus terminal - two young guys approached me thinking I was Russian. One spoke a little English, the other not. My Russian ended at "niet", "dah", "nostrovia" and "dasvidaniya"! Had a laugh about the fact I looked Russian (to them at least) - no rudeness, friendly enough.

Indians up here I have met - tourists have been fine and even a good laugh. I find they are a little reticent at first - probably expecting some racism or offishness - but once the ice is broken (by actually starting a conversation with them - and they usually speak pretty good English) they tend to have great sense of humour. Even had a laugh with a middle-aged Indian women and her husband to a slightly lesser extent in a fabric shop at a market (not tailors, fabric on a roll by the yard sort of place) - when she swapped between Hindi, English and Thai all in the same conversation several times, seamlessly (with - according to my wife - very good pronunciation of the Thai - and flawless though accented English).

In fact. Personally the rudest people I have met here (tourist wise) were Germans on a motorcycle tour I met in an expat bar. I was taken aback at the time, as I was friends with one of the Germans that was sitting at the same table as me when they joined us (big outdoor table, generally shared) and he was chatting amiably. But one or two of them were very rude to me when they learned I was a Brit (my 'O' level German for aeons ago had helped my keep up with some of the chat up to that point - but without contributing much as remembering how to speak is harder than recognising what's already said) - some of the other were actually embarrassed about it. No skin off my nose really, but was taken aback as I said (I probably have more German friends here than Brits - make that definitely so). The only other I can think of was maybe four or five years ago and was a French youth who was visiting his father who was a friend. However, again of the French people I have met here in CM, he was a real exception!

Like I said - I don't know if Phuket just gets the worst of them - or that somehow I manage to avoid the worst of them - or just that I don't being out the yob in them - I don't, know, but I can simply not single out any nation and say they are to be avoided here (in parts of Greece and Spain I could easily say any non-local Caucasian under 40 of any gender!) . Every country has it yobs - unfortunately Europe has had a history of exporting them with cheap package deals (especially, but not exclusively, my 'fellow' Brits) - with the recession, and all it wrought, I guess this has been lessened somewhat.

The think that strikes me about this op is that it talking about a 2010 high (all time? or at least recent) comparison - the whole point of a "high" is that it is a peak, there have been many things that have happened both here in Thailand and at home that will impact the number since 2010. Not least the fact that with the strong Krona and weak base currencies (Euro/Dollar/Pound/Yen), Thailand is less attractive, and other markets have opened up within the same price bracket (like the States, Europe, etc) and (wrt Europe destination in particular) such places are less crowded these days too boot.

The competition is increasing in number (wrt exchange rates/flights/package deals) - and many countries are also looking to tourism and foreign income with a keener eyes than they did when business brought it in instead. So, the counter is either to play the same game - or change the customer (find that new niche) - Guess we know which Thailand has opted for.

• Like 1

Will be curious to see if the same thing happens in Pattaya. Whereas the city is so over run with rude Russians, Chinese , and Indians tourists, that the standard farang tourists will no longer come here..... If so, the bar girls working here will have to go back to their old factory jobs.

I am sure that a lot of Swedes will still visit Pattaya for some sleazy fun . Even if you name the city St. Pattayasburg

Yes. Not smart to rent or buy a home close to a karaoke bar that plays ALL NIGHT till 8AM.

I know.

Found out at 3AM after signing the lease.....

What about the developers pre-selling condos in this neighborhood?

Does the sales team at Dusit Grand Park, The Maldives, Laguna or Zen Condominiums in Jomtien inform the buyers?

Speaking of tourists. Could the Swedes convince Russians as well to give up on Thailand? biggrin.png

What is good for TAT is bad for Thailand and visa versa.

BTW, nothing much against Swedes or Russians staying home. But in a tourist capacity they are awful. First, the numbers.

Followed by being boring (Swedes) and boerish (Russians), either category with high drinking tendencies. They are OK to meet occasionally, but

unfortunately tend to flock in high concentrations. rolleyes.gif

I dont think that russians are a big factor, I go to pattaya almost every weekend and I only hav met a couple of russians, I think that the reason why aparently the number of sweedes coming to thailand has diclined is because the thai tourist market isnt so attractive as it use to be, people prefer to go to us and the caribbean specially now that the dolar is cheaper than before, Miami, and LA r by far funnier and more attractive smile.png

You sure you was in Pattaya? The place is full of Eastern Europeans. Most of the signs in and around Pattaya are in Russian dont suppose that would be a clue that they are here as up to 8 years ago there was hardly any.

• Like 2

Russians keep to themselves.....

Maybe.

But what strikes me is you are always aware of them. Whether it is their physical size, or their harsh sounding language or something else, I don't know. Whatever it is, Thai's don't seem to like them.

I don't think the baht rate is a big factor, since the Swedish krona has gained almost the same. I brought my cousin here last October, she was horrified by the Russians' behavior at Koh Larn. But she liked Koh Chang.

What do you mean by "Russians' behavior"? I travel all over Thailand and rarely see them. Am I just in the right/wrong places? Granted my girlfriend usually plans and organizes our trips and I often don't see but a few foreigners of any kind -- Railey a week before season started

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I don't see too many Swedes about. But I actually live and work in Thailand, and my job doesn't bring me into contact with too many Europeans. I do know that Thailand has let its best resource, its beaches and resorts, turn into sewers in many cases. I don't know if that is because too many Russians and Germans are living in the areas or what. I do know that when I vacation, I have other places to go to get as far away as I can. Such as Pago Pago in American Samoa, where the tourism numbers are controlled. Would love to go to Tahiti and Hawaii (Kauai) more often, but they're just too expensive. But vacation in Thailand in its increasingly fowled beaches and crime ridden resorts? Nope.

Thai Tourism is pursuing emerging markets. Chinese and Russians have a new found wealth and are travelling. Phuket traffic is on #81.

Chinese visit Pattaya in big numbers, most of them in groups.

Russians visit Pattaya in big numbers. Some stay and run businesses.

Whether this is why Swedish tourism is reducing in Thailand I don't know.

For me, a large presence of Chinese and Russians does nothing to enhance my holiday experience.

I'm British.

As a farang based in Thailand since the early 1980s, I can understand and appreciate why the Swedes and I suspect others are not coming back, or are not coming as they did in the past. The entire character of Thailand has changed over the last 20-30 years so dramatically, that it is hard to even think one is in the same country.

First the cost of everything here is now often higher than even in Germany and the UK, what to speak of the USA. Why are clothes, shoes, golf balls, computer parts, foods, and a millions other items that are MADE IN THAILAND, cheaper in every country than they are in Thailand?

Where are the simple friendly people that were here 30 years ago? Today everything is about money, how to get as much as possible by offering as little as possible. It is a 100% flip-flop from the past.

Yes, everywhere are Russian and Chinese and Korean tourists. Menus in Russian! This is true. I stopped going to Pattaya 5 years ago and am doubtful I will ever go again. We used to take the kids and spend weekends in Pattaya at least once or twice a month.

Today with the multi-national chains of both hotels and brands having driven out of business the locally family owned businesses, the resorts reek of the exact same feelings (and prices) as every where in the world.

Traffic... Bangkok traffic is just worse and worse every year, and there is no hope at all that it can ever be improved. In simple terms if you want to go anywhere that is not near the BTS or MRT, you are going to have to pass through hell to get there.

Need I go on?

Oh yes, one more point, the cost of a round of golf. In 1985 I played the course in and around Bangkok and Pattaya regularly and rarely spent more than 250 Baht for green fees and 150-200 Baht for the caddy fee. It was wonderful. Today, if i am not a member of a golf club. I can play a few Army or Navy owned courses at reasonable fees, otherwise I am looking at 3,000 Baht for a round of golf during the week and more than that on a weekend, without a cart! When I go to San Diego and play with my brother I never spent more than $25/round inclusive of the cart, and often pay less than $20. Why is Thailand three, four or five times more costly than San Diego?

Edited by bhakta
  • Like 1

As a farang based in Thailand since the early 1980s, I can understand and appreciate why the Swedes and I suspect others are not coming back, or are not coming as they did in the past. The entire character of Thailand has changed over the last 20-30 years so dramatically, that it is hard to even think one is in the same country.

First the cost of everything here is now often higher than even in Germany and the UK, what to speak of the USA. Why are clothes, shoes, golf balls, computer parts, foods, and a millions other items that are MADE IN THAILAND, cheaper in every country than they are in Thailand?

Where are the simple friendly people that were here 30 years ago? Today everything is about money, how to get as much as possible by offering as little as possible. It is a 100% flip-flop from the past.

Yes, everywhere are Russian and Chinese and Korean tourists. Menus in Russian! This is true. I stopped going to Pattaya 5 years ago and am doubtful I will ever go again. We used to take the kids and spend weekends in Pattaya at least once or twice a month.

Today with the multi-national chains of both hotels and brands having driven out of business the locally family owned businesses, the resorts reek of the exact same feelings (and prices) as every where in the world.

Traffic... Bangkok traffic is just worse and worse every year, and there is no hope at all that it can ever be improved. In simple terms if you want to go anywhere that is not near the BTS or MRT, you are going to have to pass through hell to get there.

Need I go on?

Oh yes, one more point, the cost of a round of golf. In 1985 I played the course in and around Bangkok and Pattaya regularly and rarely spent more than 250 Baht for green fees and 150-200 Baht for the caddy fee. It was wonderful. Today, if i am not a member of a golf club. I can play a few Army or Navy owned courses at reasonable fees, otherwise I am looking at 3,000 Baht for a round of golf during the week and more than that on a weekend, without a cart! When I go to San Diego and play with my brother I never spent more than $25/round inclusive of the cart, and often pay less than $20. Why is Thailand three, four or five times more costly than San Diego?

True, although more and more items are now produced in China, Vietnam and other countries rather than Thailand though just like Australian wine that is cheaper when sold in America than in Australia, I suspect that Thai goods sold overseas are dumped on those markets whereas Thai consumers are gouged. The Aussie wine I am talking about was being sold for US$4 in Santa Cruz, CA and about A$7 in Sydney, though both of these were sale prices. I suspect the normal US price at that store was like US$6 or 7 and in Australia about A$9 or 10.

On the traffic note, although they are expanding the BTS skytrain and are blocking lanes on major arterial roads like Petchkasem road for up to 5+ years when in China it would only take a year for them to build the same thing, successive governments have almost never built any new roads apart from expressway extensions and widening some motorways. Although I wouldn't advocate more road building to alleviate congestion per se, a good strategy of combining a comprehensive public transport infrastructure and increasing road space from the current 8% of the city's area to the internationally accepted 25% would be a start. It may involve bulldozing some ugly shop houses and paying compensation to the owners but somehow they've got to do it. But why am I wasting my time suggesting this? In all likelihood it will never happen and in 10 years time we'll simply have more BTS routes, still more cars but the same amount of road space, still no expressways to Chiang Mai, the Malaysian and Lao borders, no high speed rail, it'll be "same same but different".

Meanwhile, back on topic maybe the Chinese, Russian and Korean tourists that are here now will start to tire a little of Thailand and move to other countries as the Swedes currently are. Indeed, they already are. Vietnam has been as popular for Russian tourists as Thailand is for a while now. In fact, in cities like Nha Trang and the coastal resort city of Mui Ne, Russian tourists dominate far more than any other country and unlike in Pattaya where you'll also see Chinese, Korean maybe even middle Eastern tourists as well as a smattering of other westerners, in Mui Ne well over half the tourists are Russian, there are only a smattering of tourists from all other countries and some advertising and menus are ONLY in Russian!

Edited by Tomtomtom69
  • Like 1

Swedes like beaches and they used to flock to places like Phuket. But as my ex wife (Swedish) said to me, if she wanted to be surrounded by Russians she would have gone to Russia for her holiday.

On my first few trips to Thailand, particularly Phuket beginning in 1989, almost every other person I met was Swedish. I have photos somewhere with me and a large group of Swedes (including a few luek krung Thai/Swedish) sitting in bars and restaurants in Patong. I had a fling with a couple of Swedish girls and Thai/Swede girls over the next few years when I visited. They were a part of Thailand. Nice people. I also worked with Swedes in Europe and to be honest would rather have them here in Thailand than the Russians!

• 11 months later...

My feeling is there are more nationalities to follow. The atmosphere has changed with some of its economic success. There is a false sense of security here now. Many Thais call for the foreigners to leave but this is the foundation of your economy. Without the tourists, Thailand will fall from grace completely. The Thais would be better suited to ramp up efforts to create an environment of respect for each other and foreigners alike, especially with countries such as Myanmar and Cambodia about to open the floodgates. Myanmar's beauty is exquisite and has only remained untapped because of the political situation that is now winding down and all but finished. I recently read that they expect 5,000,000 tourists next year and this is no doubt, in direcct correlation to the international campaigning they have done to welcome foreign businesses, politicians, and travelers alike. I have been n thailand two years and the ONLY reason I have remained here is my wife wants to stay close to her family. Recently, our sentiment has changed and she is now warming up to the idea of leaving at a drastic rate. Cultural and political reform is now desperately needed in Thailand. I suggest that the goov't get s a grip on this before the AEC comes or you will surely see the economics of SE Asia turn in favor of surrounding countries. You may see a first to worst economic scenario unfold right before your eyes.

Edited by geoman1976

I remember the end of the cold war,the berlin wall coming down,glasnost etc,most thought it was good at the time,if only we had realised it would in later years unleash the Russian and Chinese tourist on the world i speculate we may have looked at it in a different light,oh for hindsight.

• Like 1

I remember the end of the cold war,the berlin wall coming down,glasnost etc,most thought it was good at the time,if only we had realised it would in later years unleash the Russian and Chinese tourist on the world i speculate we may have looked at it in a different light,oh for hindsight.

And has the EU really benefitted from the influx of Eastern Europeans?

A mixed blessing perhaps.

I don't think the baht rate is a big factor, since the Swedish krona has gained almost the same. I brought my cousin here last October, she was horrified by the Russians' behavior at Koh Larn. But she liked Koh Chang.

Should have seen the place 10 years ago, heaven on earth !

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

BAD NEWS FOR THAILAND!

Swedes have been the travel industry trendsetters since the end of the 1950ies. What they do will be followed by all other European's within a few years.

The reasons for leaving Thailand are probably a combination of the following:

• Spain has become cheap
  • US has become cheap
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extremely dirty beaches and cities in Thailand
  • Most Swedes are frustrated over the extreme corruption in Thailand
I don't believe the Russians are a big problem. They are all over Europe as well.
That's a relief then.
Yes I recently heard some have made a trip to Crimea...yikes.

Should have seen the place 10 years ago, heaven on earth !

I've seen it since 1978. Agree.

And has the EU really benefitted from the influx of Eastern Europeans?

A mixed blessing perhaps.

Sorry to disagree, but ...

For me, it's about billions more people having greater freedom, including the freedom to not be locked-into-their-home-countries, because they're not so very wonderful ! That might have been you or me, but for an accident of birth.

An East-German friend/colleague was just so very pleased, to finally be able to see the World, all it took/takes is money.

Freedom should over-ride the inconvenience of more competition, whether for work in Europe, or a sun-bed by the pool on holiday, IMO. wai2.gif

On the other hand, the Swedes/Scandinavians remind us of a fundamental truth, which the TAT & Thailand do their very best to ignore, that there are actually many other countries with good beaches and winter-sunshine, waiting for the budget-tourists once they get bored or pissed-off with Phuket & Krabi & Pattaya !

Edited by Ricardo