Pcx150 Vs. Sh150I Vs. Best Scooter In Thailand...

RaysFan

I'm a similar height to the OP and for me it's always been a concern with many of the smaller bikes. I split my time between Malaysia and Thailand, the bikes available in each country differ somewhat.

Most of my riding is in town traffic so 'slice and dice' is more important to me than long distance cruise comfort. I'm a life-long bike rider and while I prefer big bikes generally, for me they are not necessary for the riding I do in here (in LOS at moment) and the price is prohibitive in Malaysia also! I'd also discount bikes like the Forza for the same reasons, don't suit my needs.

I've been a long term PCX fan and always rented them here and was recently planning to buy a PCX in Malaysia (the 150cc) BUT recently I've had a slight change of thought and its mainly due to how I feel the PCX is better suited. For this stay in LOS I've switched to renting the new 125i Click and it's mainly because I find the PCX less agile in tight traffic. Being 6'03" I find I get pushed back along the seat on a PCX which I think makes the bike less controllable with hip movement than on bikes with a slightly more upright ride position. The difference in rental cost for the PCX and the Click is only 1,000 THB per month (I rent from a buddy) and if I thought the PCX was better I'd stick with it. At the moment though I feel happier with the Click. In terms of ownership though there would be a few things that put me off the Click 125i, 1) floorboard design 2) single rear shock and 3) tube tyres (but I think the top range Click may have a tubeless option.

I did like the Nouvo Elegance but the gf never did so we used one rarely, I'd be interested to look at the SX though, esp given that it has fuel injection and tubeless tyres. The 125 is cut of 10cc but I suspect would still perform as well as a PCX 150 given the lighter weight.

That said, my next purchase will be in Malaysia and there, Hondas rule with far more service facilities and much better re-sale values. Malaysia doesn't have the Click 125i BUT it does have the new Airblade, introduced July this year. Now THAT really is appealing: PGM-FI; Engine idle stop; combo-braking; integrated ACG starting (less friction); side-stand cut out, remote key bike location (press the key and the horn sounds and lights flash (great in some of the gazillion bike parking lots), tubeless tyres and twin rear shocks.

Like I say I was all set to buy a PCX there (pricey in Malaysia at 103,000 THB thanks to Govt import taxes!!!) but the new Airblade will definitely get a look as the style of the bikes suits my regular riding more, I rarely do long distance so it seems pointless to buy a bike for 10% of the riding I do (the PCX), better to buy for the 90%. That the Airblade is 77,000 THB in Malaysia is also a bonus but not a deciding factor. There is still that niggle though, but what about WHEN I want a longer commute, or when I want that bit more comfort and of course there's the wider tyres. Decisions, decisions. Sadly, as yet I think, now new Airblade in LOS.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a similar height to the OP and for me it's always been a concern with many of the smaller bikes. I split my time between Malaysia and Thailand, the bikes available in each country differ somewhat.

Most of my riding is in town traffic so 'slice and dice' is more important to me than long distance cruise comfort. I'm a life-long bike rider and while I prefer big bikes generally, for me they are not necessary for the riding I do in here (in LOS at moment) and the price is prohibitive in Malaysia also! I'd also discount bikes like the Forza for the same reasons, don't suit my needs.

I've been a long term PCX fan and always rented them here and was recently planning to buy a PCX in Malaysia (the 150cc) BUT recently I've had a slight change of thought and its mainly due to how I feel the PCX is better suited. For this stay in LOS I've switched to renting the new 125i Click and it's mainly because I find the PCX less agile in tight traffic. Being 6'03" I find I get pushed back along the seat on a PCX which I think makes the bike less controllable with hip movement than on bikes with a slightly more upright ride position. The difference in rental cost for the PCX and the Click is only 1,000 THB per month (I rent from a buddy) and if I thought the PCX was better I'd stick with it. At the moment though I feel happier with the Click. In terms of ownership though there would be a few things that put me off the Click 125i, 1) floorboard design 2) single rear shock and 3) tube tyres (but I think the top range Click may have a tubeless option.

I did like the Nouvo Elegance but the gf never did so we used one rarely, I'd be interested to look at the SX though, esp given that it has fuel injection and tubeless tyres. The 125 is cut of 10cc but I suspect would still perform as well as a PCX 150 given the lighter weight.

That said, my next purchase will be in Malaysia and there, Hondas rule with far more service facilities and much better re-sale values. Malaysia doesn't have the Click 125i BUT it does have the new Airblade, introduced July this year. Now THAT really is appealing: PGM-FI; Engine idle stop; combo-braking; integrated ACG starting (less friction); side-stand cut out, remote key bike location (press the key and the horn sounds and lights flash (great in some of the gazillion bike parking lots), tubeless tyres and twin rear shocks.

Like I say I was all set to buy a PCX there (pricey in Malaysia at 103,000 THB thanks to Govt import taxes!!!) but the new Airblade will definitely get a look as the style of the bikes suits my regular riding more, I rarely do long distance so it seems pointless to buy a bike for 10% of the riding I do (the PCX), better to buy for the 90%. That the Airblade is 77,000 THB in Malaysia is also a bonus but not a deciding factor. There is still that niggle though, but what about WHEN I want a longer commute, or when I want that bit more comfort and of course there's the wider tyres. Decisions, decisions. Sadly, as yet I think, now new Airblade in LOS.

Go for the Yamaha Nouvo 125 SX. Presently renting my 2nd one for the express purpose of my online bike reviews. Recently rented a Honda Click 125 i here in Naklua then another one on Koh Larn Island last week. Both rentals had issues latching the seat so at this point when you consider the single shock and very inferior floorboard design I'll really go out on the limb and say, the click is "Cheap, grossly inferior" and designed to sell to those who don't know better." Have stop watched the 125 Yamaha SX today on route 36 near the International School. Click did better with the stopwatch, however. But on the highway the advantage of the underbone bracing of the Nouvo SX totally outclassed the Click's very inferior design. This is a very enjoyable bike to ride and it's around 20,000 baht or so cheaper than a PCX 150, which although it's an excellent bike, I'm finding the little Nouvo 125 SX to be even more satisfying. Stay tuned as I need to get another couple of articles ready on other subjects before this review is going live.

• Like 2

@Jack: Yup, if it was a choice of only Click or Nouvo SX I'd def go SX, likely even if it was just SX v PCX, or certainly for the riding I mainly do. BUT, and it is a big but for me, as the next bike purchase will be Malaysia, the 2013 Airblade I think will take some beating. Plan to test ride both when I'm back, the 'bells and whistles' on the Airblabe make it a VERY interesting prospect. Like your reviews by the way, useful and nice that they're not manuf loaded or jammed full of BS.

The old Airblade available in Thailand I think would have been the only bike I would have considered alongside the Elegance (at least until the PCX came out) the new Airblade though really appeals: http://www.boonsiewhonda.com.my/product-air-blade.html

Edited by Pick of Penang

@Jack: Yup, if it was a choice of only Click or Nouvo SX I'd def go SX, likely even if it was just SX v PCX, or certainly for the riding I mainly do. BUT, and it is a big but for me, as the next bike purchase will be Malaysia, the 2013 Airblade I think will take some beating. Plan to test ride both when I'm back, the 'bells and whistles' on the Airblabe make it a VERY interesting prospect. Like your reviews by the way, useful and nice that they're not manuf loaded or jammed full of BS.

The old Airblade available in Thailand I think would have been the only bike I would have considered alongside the Elegance (at least until the PCX came out) the new Airblade though really appeals: http://www.boonsiewhonda.com.my/product-air-blade.html

I'm glad you like my reviews. Right now I'm testing the fuel economy of the Nouvo SX. I did that in a previous review comparing it to my Nouvo Elegance's but it was all highway whereas this will be mostly city. Recently there has been an Airblade in the Hotel Centara parking lot and it only has several thousand kilometers on it. Of course Honda is not pushing the Airblade even though one can still order one. The Airblade will handle well--there's no question of that and now it's available in 125 c.c's whereas before it was a 110. I believe it is far superior to the Click and my reasons are 1. Twin shocks in the rear and 2. It is an underbone (with that all important cross brace that is over a foot above where you put your feet) and not a floorboard equipped model but it's going to have a shorter wheelbase than the Nouvo models and 14 inch tires which in my opinion puts it at somewhat of a disadvantage to the Nouvo, especially as mine is equipped with the Michelin Sports at one size larger than stock.

• Like 1

I'm glad you like my reviews. Right now I'm testing the fuel economy of the Nouvo SX. I did that in a previous review comparing it to my Nouvo Elegance's but it was all highway whereas this will be mostly city. Recently there has been an Airblade in the Hotel Centara parking lot and it only has several thousand kilometers on it. Of course Honda is not pushing the Airblade even though one can still order one. The Airblade will handle well--there's no question of that and now it's available in 125 c.c's whereas before it was a 110. I believe it is far superior to the Click and my reasons are 1. Twin shocks in the rear and 2. It is an underbone (with that all important cross brace that is over a foot above where you put your feet) and not a floorboard equipped model but it's going to have a shorter wheelbase than the Nouvo models and 14 inch tires which in my opinion puts it at somewhat of a disadvantage to the Nouvo, especially as mine is equipped with the Michelin Sports at one size larger than stock.

Yah, depends on the country as to which bike has dominance. Here in Th it's Click and PCX that head up the Honda range, in Malaysia it's the PCX and Airblade, Airblade is mainstream in Malaysia, as much or even more so than the Click in Th, you can go to any dealer, auth or not and drive an Airblade away, you cannot buy or even order a Click. It's the fact that the Airblade picks up many of the PCX plus points that makes it so desirable, I'll have to check out the spec sheet on the SX more closely to see how they compare. The longer wheelbase is a consideration but it won't be the only factor, esp if the SX fails to check the other spec details that I find attractive on the Airblade. The bike will be for use in Malaysia as well, where Honda predominates, good for service, parts and whatever, not to mention re-sale.

Edited by Pick of Penang

BUT it does have the new Airblade, introduced July this year. Now THAT really is appealing: PGM-FI; Engine idle stop; combo-braking; integrated ACG starting (less friction);

So that probably make the new Airblade 125 the same engine as the old PCX 125 and the same as Click 125i

This is why none of us should even consider driving any scooter floorboard model motorbike. This particular underbone happens to be a Suzuki. Look at the bracing on this bike. The Honda Wave has got it. So does the Yamaha Spark, the various Nouvo Models from the MX to the new SX. The Suzuki Hayate has got the brace and so does the PCX and the Honda Air Blade. The have nots include the Honda Click, the Honda Scoopy, the Yamaha Mio, Yamaha Fino, Yamaha Filano and the Vespa. A lot of Thais will buy such scooters, but one must consider that a large percentage of Thais do not understand that a red light means "stop" and do not go through it, or that driving against the flow of traffic is very dangerous for all concerned or that one should look before pulling in front 2004_Suzuki_FX125_with_no_covers.jpg of other vehicles. I have rented a car in Malaysia, and although I have not been very impressed by the manners of many of the drivers there, Malaysian drivers do not have nearly as many bad drivers as Thailand has. All that said, I can fully understand why Air Blades are easily obtained right off the dealers' showroom floors in Malaysia whereas Honda Clicks are not nearly as plentiful whereas the opposite is true in Thailand. This is all a simple matter of common sense or lack of it.

This is why none of us should even consider driving any scooter floorboard model motorbike. This particular underbone happens to be a Suzuki. Look at the bracing on this bike. The Honda Wave has got it. So does the Yamaha Spark, the various Nouvo Models from the MX to the new SX. The Suzuki Hayate has got the brace and so does the PCX and the Honda Air Blade. The have nots include the Honda Click, the Honda Scoopy, the Yamaha Mio, Yamaha Fino, Yamaha Filano and the Vespa. A lot of Thais will buy such scooters, but one must consider that a large percentage of Thais do not understand that a red light means "stop" and do not go through it, or that driving against the flow of traffic is very dangerous for all concerned or that one should look before pulling in front of other vehicles. I have rented a car in Malaysia, and although I have not been very impressed by the manners of many of the drivers there, Malaysian drivers do not have nearly as many bad drivers as Thailand has. All that said, I can fully understand why Air Blades are easily obtained right off the dealers' showroom floors in Malaysia whereas Honda Clicks are not nearly as plentiful whereas the opposite is true in Thailand. This is all a simple matter of common sense or lack of it.

Sorry I don't really understand what are you talking about.

If you want to debate vantages/advantages of flat floorplan in light safety, that has nothing to with how structurally the bike is bult.

But overall nothing practical can be deducted from you long rant, except that the Airblade is still sold in Malaysa unlike in Thailand, thank you very much for the old news.

Edited by paz
  • Like 2

This is why none of us should even consider driving any scooter floorboard model motorbike. This particular underbone happens to be a Suzuki. Look at the bracing on this bike. The Honda Wave has got it. So does the Yamaha Spark, the various Nouvo Models from the MX to the new SX. The Suzuki Hayate has got the brace and so does the PCX and the Honda Air Blade. The have nots include the Honda Click, the Honda Scoopy, the Yamaha Mio, Yamaha Fino, Yamaha Filano and the Vespa. A lot of Thais will buy such scooters, but one must consider that a large percentage of Thais do not understand that a red light means "stop" and do not go through it, or that driving against the flow of traffic is very dangerous for all concerned or that one should look before pulling in front of other vehicles. I have rented a car in Malaysia, and although I have not been very impressed by the manners of many of the drivers there, Malaysian drivers do not have nearly as many bad drivers as Thailand has. All that said, I can fully understand why Air Blades are easily obtained right off the dealers' showroom floors in Malaysia whereas Honda Clicks are not nearly as plentiful whereas the opposite is true in Thailand. This is all a simple matter of common sense or lack of it.

Sorry I don't really understand what are you talking about.

If you want to debate vantages/advantages of flat floorplan in light safety, that has nothing to with how structurally the bike is bult.

But overall nothing practical can be deducted from you long rant, except that the Airblade is still sold in Malaysa unlike in Thailand, thank you very much for the old news.

It's okay that you didn't understand it as I didn't write those 180 words or so for you.

• Like 1

In Malaysia, Boon Siew Honda IS Honda and the lack of Clicks in Malaysia v the Airblade is simply down to a Honda import decision, the Airblade is sold, in sufficiently large quantities that nearly all dealers will carry stock. Clicks are not imported or made available for sale in Malaysia by Boon Siew so they simply don't sell them, anywhere. You can't even order one. The Airblade sold now is the 2013 Airblade, launched late July 2013 and available mostly from Aug / Sept in many parts. The news is hardly old.

As to why the Click is not available it's anyone's guess but with the immense popularity of the Click it is surprising it's not sold there, if Honda assumed the demand would be high enough I'm sure it would be. I wonder if it's because the Click is designed for sale in Thailand where riders mostly have a much lighter frames and average body weight than your average Malaysian (whose frames and weights more closely resemble Westerners than Thais) where the Airblade with twin shocks, tubeless tyres and underbone frame is much more likely to attract buyers. Could well be, I see virtually no floorboard bikes in Penang, despite some being available from other manufs.

Edited by Pick of Penang

I just ran into this today along with several other web sites advertising the Yamaha S Max. Is it headed for Thailand?http://www.smax.tw/#/?tags=car

Here's another site with a few specs. http://www.moto-choice.com/en/Press-Releases/353/to-neo-yamaha-majesty-155--s-max-516-tha.html

Unlikely. That is a domestic model for Taiwan, wich is not even part of the ASEAN Free Trade Area.

^ Sorry the picture above is identified as an SH150 Sporty but after some further investigation it turns out to be an Aprilia Sport Cube or sport city. It is still much prettier than an SH or is that a SH?

Edited by VocalNeal

The picture can't be seen. The Aprilia is quite different from the SH, I had the 280cc model until it was stolen, and I was quite happy with it. I don't think it's available in Thailand, but if it is, must have an exorbitant price like a Vespa (have the same engine too).

The picture can't be seen. The Aprilia is quite different from the SH, I had the 280cc model until it was stolen, and I was quite happy with it. I don't think it's available in Thailand, but if it is, must have an exorbitant price like a Vespa (have the same engine too).

yes the one in the picture is a 125 I think. Very pretty i would buy one in a heart beat if here. Not sure about the latest engines for Aprilia they used to be Rotax not "borrowed" from Vespa

Here's the same picture from a different source.

2011-Aprilia-Sportcity-125-1.jpg

Edited by VocalNeal

yes the one in the picture is a 125 I think. Very pretty i would buy one in a heart beat if here. Not sure about the latest engines for Aprilia they used to be Rotax not "borrowed" from Vespa

Here's the same picture from a different source.

Aprilia is a Piaggio brand. Lots of common parts to Vespa and other scooter. Using mostly all same engine, now they have the 3 valve, to compete with Honda ESP.

http://www.vespa3v.com/en/3v.html

SPORTCITY CUBE 125 - 300 Technical sheet
  • Engine: Horizontal, single cylinder, 4 stroke. Forced liquid cooling with centrifugal pump. 4 valve head with overhead camshaft.

• Fuel: Unleaded petrol

• Bore x Stroke: 75 mm x 63 mm (300 cc), 57 mm x 48,6 mm (125 cc)

• Total displacement: 278 cm3 (300 cc), 124 cm3 (125 cc)

• Compression ratio: 11:1 (300 cc) 12:1 (125 cc)

• Maximum power at the crank: 16,5 kw (22,5 hp) at 8.000 rpm(300 cc), 11 kw (14,9 hp) at 10.000 rpm(125 cc)

• Maximum torque at the crank: 22 Nm at 6.500 rpm (300 cc), 11,7 Nm at 8.000 rpm (125 cc)

:

Vespa 300

Engine Single-Cylinder Catalysed 4-Stroke 4-Valves QUASAR Engine With Electronic Injection Capacity 278 Cc Bore X Stroke (Mm) 75 X 63 Max Power 15,8 KW At 7.500 Rpm (21.1 Hp) Max Torque 22,3 Nm At 5.250 Rpm (16.4 Ft-Lb) Fuel Supply P.I. Injection (Port Injected) Cooling Liquid Starter Electric

Shame that the 2013 Air Blade isn't available in Thailand (yet). Looks like quite a nice bike in fact...

It sure does, I plan to test ride one when I'm back in Malaysia next month, if it passes, as I suspect it will, I will likely buy it over the PCX as I think it'll suit my riding habits and locale better. The Nouvo SX isn't available in Malaysia so not a contender. Swings and roundabouts. Thailand has Nouvo SX but no Airblade, Malaysia vice versa :(

What are SH150's retailing for in Thailand? Are they priced higher or lower than the PCX?

Higher than the PCX. I was out at Asia City Motors in BoWin on Monday to buy a Scoopy Club 12 for the wife's daughter and I asked. 99.000 baht was the answer. After I finished laughing I said to the sales girl: "Seriously, how much is it?" 99.000 baht was the answer. So it's way over priced.

What are SH150's retailing for in Thailand? Are they priced higher or lower than the PCX?

Higher than the PCX. I was out at Asia City Motors in BoWin on Monday to buy a Scoopy Club 12 for the wife's daughter and I asked. 99.000 baht was the answer. After I finished laughing I said to the sales girl: "Seriously, how much is it?" 99.000 baht was the answer. So it's way over priced.

it is not overpriced if you consider enkei bigger rims,,rear disc brake, bigger tires, better paint and quality feeling, price difference is 20 - 25 k only. also they throw free box and windshield.

• Like 2

Wow, 99,000 Baht, no wonder there are hardly any on the road. I know it is a quality product but that is a considerable leap of around 19,000 Baht over the PCX 150 (depending on whether quoted price includes tax, etc.)

Is the SH 150 produced in another country?

99,000 aint too bad.

Can you get it without the carrier and windshield? That would knock off 10,000bt or so.

I looked around Pattaya to see one and the only one I could find was at Theprasit Soi 7 in Jomtien.

Quoted me 105,000bt.

I noticed it sat there for a month or so but now is gone.