American Teacher Charged With Bank Robbery In Bangkok Bank

webfact

American Teacher Charged With Bank Robbery in Bangkok Bank

bank2.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An American Teacher Lloyd Dennis Hall has been arrested and charged with the robbery of a Bangkok Suburban Bank earlier this week.

Hall, a 62 year old English teacher, was traced to his apartment yesterday by detectives investigating the robbery which took place in a branch of the Bangkok Bank in a Tesco Lotus Mall during which the robbers passed a note to tellers, written in English and demanding cash.

In the note he also claimed to be armed with both a gun and a knife

Police searching Hall’s apartment found over 350,000 baht , much of it still with Bank wrappers.. A detailed search also revealed a discarded crash helmet and shirt, similar in appearance to those used in the raid.

The bike, suspected as that used in the getaway, was also found close by and Hall was removed to the local police station for questioning. [more...]

Full story: http://www.pattaya103.com/american-teacher-charged-with-bank-robbery-in-bangkok-bank/

pattaya_103_fm.png
--Pattaya 103 FM 2013-05-31

RELATED STORY

Foreigner Robs Bangkok Suburban Bank

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Any pics?

One wonders what was the attraction of Thailand that was so great he felt he had to risk spending the rest of his life in a hellish prison just in order to stay here.

• Like 1

Any pics?

One wonders what was the attraction of Thailand that was so great he felt he had to risk spending the rest of his life in a hellish prison just in order to stay here.

Think "hello kitty"

• Like 1

Now we are just waiting for the "hang him high" brigade to wake up! whistling.gif

If he is spared, is the reason his difficult childhood, being a Yank or him being a "teacher" ? coffee1.gif

I think 2 & 3biggrin.png

NongKhaiKid, on 31 May 2013 - 08:08, said:

apetley, on 31 May 2013 - 08:03, said:

That note alone shows that Yanks should not be teaching English to anyone.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The last time I went to Manila the American in front of me at Immigration was having problems so he asked " can anyone here speak American ? "

Reminds me of the movie "Just Married" where Ashton Kutcher makes the same statement about "putting some American on your signs" in reference to a sign in a hotel room that was in French only.

Seriously guys, it is clear to me as the sun is down here in the south...

This guy has taught the bank clerks in the evening, part time and he was just giving them a reading test... It became clear to him that they did not understand the joke when he got the cash so he hightailed it out of there, planning to give it to them later that afternoon, too bad that the coppers got to him first...

On the other hand, why rob the bank for that ammount?? Just look at the people that carries stacks of money there every day, rob one of them instead, less chance of police working hard and certainly more money to collect if you pick the right old teenager...

• Like 1

This is certainly a case for "World's Dumbest Criminals 26" on TruTV. I can't understand why the guy didn't flee the country immediately, perhaps by getting his motorcycle getaway driver to drive him over to Cambodia where he could have disappeared and gotten a new teaching job overnight? But instead he was caught in his apartment in Bang Khen the day following the robbery...

• Like 1

Listening to the news on Televison this morning, my long haired translator (wife app) said that he had 2 or 3 wives/girlfriends and liked to gamble and go to go go bars ( the latter, the wife app, has banned me from....lol)

Can't see anything about this on the original news report, any Thai speakers pick this up n the news???

Interesting to know what motivated him to do such a stupid thing, as on paper being a teacher, should have more sense.

PS I would like a job......which school was it??? As there appears to be a vacancy (shame I'm not a teacher)

Bank security in Thailand urgently needs to be reviewed. Whatever happened to tellers with security screens that pop up when someone tries to rob you? In the UK, Australia and the US they are installed at most banks. But Thailand is so complacent in these matters it's embarrassing. Maybe they never thought of the possibility of a robbery despite the fact that robberies are actually quite commonplace in Thailand, no wonder given how little security there is (but do make sure you bring a real gun, unless you are this guy).

Speaks volumes for American english teachers.

And those posters on the other thread who said it wouldn't be a yank but an aussie, what say now?

what about the poster who categorically stated that it could not be a native english teacher due to capitalization issues?

say what you want, "Hall" had cojones