Domain Naming

bangkokburning

Quick few questions

Always go with. com - got it.

Is a long name easily remembered better than a short name or jumble of letters?

Do lots of sites get jacked by people either ripping the site or outting a facsimile of yours and add the or plural...like that?

If you have similar concepts for sites, what about using one domain and the subdomain? Arguably one site much easier to manage than five. Less costly and people might even pop over to a similar site.

I never learned to build a website, always had the idea why I want to give my secrets and photos away free. Is there a beginners website group in Bangkok? I saw a Wordpress group on Meetup.

Finally - for a basic site. Should I build with Wordpress or just use hostgator template?

I want to run ad manager and sell some ematerials. Create Android app if I can find the right app.

Ok thanks

Long names are hard to type. Always best to go for a short but meaningful name. (Some SEO "experts" though suggest using a very long name with lots of keywords separated by hyphens to improve search engine rankings.)

Your site will only be ripped off if it's successful. However, by the time it's successful there will be lots of other sites linking to it, so the copies shouldn't have too much impact on your business.

If you're planning on selling from your site, WordPress won't do the job. You should be thinking of shopping cart software.

However, when you write "sell some ematerials", I am inclined to think that using one of the self-publishing eBook sites might be a better fit to your needs than having your own website.

Thanks for that. Instead of an ebook, was more inclined toward Andoid app with material contsined within. Link to Play store. Might also reduce content theft?

I have no plans to sell "stuff'.

Seems like bazillions of people using WP. Given my lack of experience, its a must. If I do later try to add gear, Id just need to spin it off into its own store somehow.

My focus now is revenue on page hits, clicks and the app/s

Edited by bangkokburning

Thanks for that. Instead of an ebook, was more inclined toward Andoid app with material contsined within. Link to Play store. Might also reduce content theft?

I have no plans to sell "stuff'.

Seems like bazillions of people using WP. Given my lack of experience, its a must. If I do later try to add gear, Id just need to spin it off into its own store somehow.

My focus now is revenue on page hits, clicks and the app/s

You haven't really explained what your site will be offering, but unless it's something very special revenue from ads will be minimal. From what you have disclosed I suspect you might do better soliciting for donations. PayPal makes it easy for you to get your first $10,000 (I think, from memory) without having to provide lots of paperwork. (After that it gets difficult unless you're a properly registered charity.)

If you're going to use WordPress, I'd strongly recommend hosting it yourself, rather than using wordpress.com. I recently made the shift from wordpress.com to my own site and am enjoying the greater flexibility that gives me such as customising my theme and having unlimited storage for photos. It also means that you'll be able to integrate a shopping cart later should you need to.

• Like 1