Surrounded By "enemy" Nationals On A Baht Bus; Confused As To Proper Etiquette

Jingthing

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And obviously a racist.

I use baht buses most days and nights. Sitting on there with all sorts are nationals from different countries.

They are about as interested in you as you are in them.

So the Russian speaking possibly Bulgarian was a Thai lady? Interesting. If you think I'm a racist, I'd say that might just be projection on your part. Again, they WERE interested. I was being pressured to engage with this drunken group and I didn't want to, so I didn't.

I've spent some time in Iran. They are possibly the most hospitable people on earth.

Nobody said they weren't. However, politics and the soft war is real. You might want to ask the American hikers who accidentally crossed the Turkey-Iran border.

I did fail to mention one detail from the reported experience. There was a British man who boarded the back of the baht bus and he DID participate in the baht bus drunken party and engaged with the group. He IMMEDIATELY starting talking about the politics of the situation saying he HATED politics. They liked that. I don't hate politics. I would be thrilled if my government could find a way to help topple the horrible Iranian regime (in my opinion). Should I have lied and put on an act like the Brit? Believe it or not, they WANTED to engage but I doubt they wanted to hear what I happen to think. Not all Americans agree with the American government's anti-Iranian regime bias, but I do. Being in Pattaya doesn't change what's going on in the world. A hint of that might be the Iranian Bangkok terror bombers who partied in South Pattaya with booze and bar girls just before doing their botched mission.

Edited by Jingthing

You could just have tried talking to them about the delights of Pattaya or the cost of noodles. You could have asked them if they were having a good time and whereabouts in Iran they were from. You could have asked them what life is like over there. People always like to talk about themselves. You don't have to say things to people that you know might offend them.

• Like 1

Playing the Canadian game use to work, but with our present Prime Minister, who is right of George W, Canada does not have the rep it use to, especially amounst the Iranians. Canada closed it's embassy in Iran.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I always tell people I'm from Canada. Works pretty well most of them time. Sometimes they'll get suspicious and start asking me questions about Canada I don't know. Or they'll tell my my accent is definitely not Canadian.

Like questions on ice hockey!

Playing the Canadian game use to work, but with our present Prime Minister, who is right of George W, Canada does not have the rep it use to, especially amounst the Iranians. Canada closed it's embassy in Iran.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I knew there was a reason not to use it!

You could just have tried talking to them about the delights of Pattaya or the cost of noodles. You could have asked them if they were having a good time and whereabouts in Iran they were from. You could have asked them what life is like over there. People always like to talk about themselves. You don't have to say things to people that you know might offend them.

There was a large group, they were all DRUNK, and they were focused on NATIONALITIES. I'm not saying I know the situation was really dangerous (but you come off as being certain that it wasn't and you couldn't possibly KNOW that) but what's the point of engaging such a group at all?!? (Of ANY nationality really, but especially when there are serious political sensitivities.)

I'm happy you had a good time in Iran. I'm not going. I hope that's OK. For the time being, I'll have to settle for eating at Iranian restaurants and making too long eye contact with the cute gay ones here ...

Edited by Jingthing

I must remember to quote Jing when I reply to him so he can't nip in and edit his posts after I've posted...

You must call your solicitor at the earliest convenience. rolleyes.gif

Another poster suggested a proper response might have been to just leave the bus. It was actually rather a long ride for me with the drunkards. I thought for a moment about leaving the bus but not seriously. I guess I reckoned I would leave if it started to get ugly. Everyone was speaking English. Another poster suggested acting like I didn't understand what was going on. I thought of that too but that would have taken acting skills and I was just feeling real low energy and not up to trying any kind of act. So what I did do, I reckon, appeared a bit insane, just decided to ZONE OUT of what was happening. It was deliberate though.

Edited by Jingthing

I must remember to quote Jing when I reply to him so he can't nip in and edit his posts after I've posted...

You must call your solicitor at the earliest convenience. Posted Image

Another poster suggested a proper response might have been to just leave the bus. It was actually rather a long ride for me with the drunkards. I thought for a moment about leaving the bus but not seriously. I guess I reckoned I would leave if it started to get ugly. Everyone was speaking English. Another poster suggested acting like I didn't understand what was going on. I thought of that too but that would have taken acting skills and I was just feeling real low energy and not up to trying any kind of act. So what I did do, I reckon, appeared a bit insane, just decided to ZONE OUT of what was happening. It was deliberate though.

Where was the interaction?

As previously said I've been on many baht bus journeys short and long with all sorts of people, and never had the thought of being shy and turn my head.

Did they say hello to you?

We're they shouting at you?

Etc etc etc

Really don't get your problem, other than the fact that you are a racist.

Oh there's a market on Soi 22 south pattaya they still sell BBQ pork sticks for 5 baht. Just a heads up.

But seriously I don't get the problem. Pattaya is a tourist city, your bound to end up in a restaurant, bar, baht bus etc with all sorts of people.

What's the complaining all about!!

• Like 1

I think that I would have said "yes I am English" and we used to get on very well with your people when your country was Persia

And to the Russian " You would do well to remember....many brave Allied seamen gave up their lives on the Artic convoys to feed and equip your Nation

Why are you both such paranoid people

Where was the interaction?

As previously said I've been on many baht bus journeys short and long with all sorts of people, and never had the thought of being shy and turn my head.

Did they say hello to you?

We're they shouting at you?

Etc etc etc

Really don't get your problem, other than the fact that you are a racist.

Oh there's a market on Soi 22 south pattaya they still sell BBQ pork sticks for 5 baht. Just a heads up.

But seriously I don't get the problem. Pattaya is a tourist city, your bound to end up in a restaurant, bar, baht bus etc with all sorts of people.

What's the complaining all about!!

You only discredit yourself playing the name calling game, calling me a racist and all that.

They were, including the Russian women (who was actually the most aggressive) POINTING AT ME, TALKING ABOUT ME, and doing so repeatedly. It had become THE THING on the bus that this other man who yes can pass for Iranian was NOT one of them, and I was being PRESSURED to engage with them. If you just don't believe me, I don't care.

Maybe you are just failing to picture the scene. The bus was PACKED all with this SAME GROUP of drunken Iranians. I was sitting AMONG THEM. There was this ONE Russian woman and then later a British man ... on the back. It was not a usual baht bus mix. It was a bus filled with ONE drunken Iranian large group plus a few oddballs (me).

Edited by Jingthing

instead of feeling awkward, I would have tried to seduce the cutest one of the bunch.

Iranians are so easy to lure into casual encounter. Of course if there's a group of them, that may complicate things, it is much easier to approach a single, lost one. But generally the Mid Easterners are easy prey, and you should have at least scored a phone number of the cutest one.

JT, it seems to me you have lot to learn about baht buses filled with Mid easterners.

instead of feeling awkward, I would have tried to seduce the cutest one of the bunch.

Iranians are so easy to lure into casual encounter. Of course if there's a group of them, that may complicate things, it is much easier to approach a single, lost one. But generally the Mid Easterners are easy prey, and you should have at least scored a phone number of the cutest one.

JT, it seems to me you have lot to learn about baht buses filled with Mid easterners.

No argument here. Persian men are hot!

post-37101-0-41164600-1370007561_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

consider thailand as neutral ground in most cases ( the south does not count though)

Up to a point.

I eat at Iranian restaurants regularly and sometimes at Israeli restaurants in Pattaya.

Never saw an Israeli at an Iranian restaurant here or an Iranian at an Israeli restaurant here, and do NOT expect to.

Between the USA and Iran, now it is only a soft war with a lot of proxies.

Imagine if it was a full on war.

Edited by Jingthing

I always tell people I'm from Canada. Works pretty well most of them time. Sometimes they'll get suspicious and start asking me questions about Canada I don't know. Or they'll tell my my accent is definitely not Canadian.

Ah yes, having to deny one's nationality.... I feel there's only a handful of nations who produce many who feel the need....

• Like 1

Ah yes, having to deny one's nationality.... I feel there's only a handful of nations who produce many who feel the need....

Who does it hurt to be Canadian for a day if it might help make some people be safer sometimes? The other fun thing is sometimes (assuming they believe you) people will start telling you what they really think about Americans assuming Canadians feel the same way. Yes, I have experienced this. Good fun.

post-37101-0-10678000-1370011136_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Well, I would have got off the bus, there is another right behind it! I dont mingle with drunks, no matter what their nationality, color or sex. What is the point of it, if you feel uncomfortable, then get off, its very easy in Pattaya.

Some people here think that if you use your head, you are chicken $hit. Yeah, sometimes our instinct is wrong, but do you always need to prove yourself?

• Like 2

consider thailand as neutral ground in most cases ( the south does not count though)

Up to a point.

I eat at Iranian restaurants regularly and sometimes at Israeli restaurants in Pattaya.

Never saw an Israeli at an Iranian restaurant here or an Iranian at an Israeli restaurant here, and do NOT expect to.

Between the USA and Iran, now it is only a soft war with a lot of proxies.

Imagine if it was a full on war.

Maybe they don't like each others food.

Maybe they don't like each others food.

Fair enough, but I'm guessing even if they did they would be avoiding each other's hangouts in a foreign non-aligned land.

Actually though, there are quite a number of restaurants in Israel serving Persian food presumably linked to Jews who left Iran, but I still don't think Israelis in Pattaya would go to Iranian places HERE even if they like the food.

As far as Iranians liking Israeli food, I'm sure many like Arabic food (very similar to Israeli) but there is no reason to seek out Israeli places when there are tons more places to get Arabic food.

Edited by Jingthing

If I got on A song thew with A bunch of iranians,I would probably get off on A block or 2.And while i was on it i would just mind my own business.

This case it wasn't so much that they were just Iranians, but so many, so drunk and so PUSHY.

Edited by Jingthing

If I got on A song thew with A bunch of iranians,I would probably get off on A block or 2.And while i was on it i would just mind my own business.

This case it wasn't so much that they were just Iranians, but so many, so drunk and so PUSHY.
If the truth was known, they probably are on holidays from Australia, because we get so many boat people coming daily to our shores now. Well it is Australasia after all.
  • Like 1

This is a stupid post. I guess you really have not traveled much. The Iranians are not the slightest interested who you are or your nationality.

They are here for a good time. If they had asked you tell them you are American and I am sure they would be very friendly. I have traveled many times with them in buses. Nice people.