Thailand Elite Card To Be Relaunched In June

webfact

Or perhaps, since the current administration is avowedly against Thai Elites, rename it 'Thailand Wow', instead ? rolleyes.gif

I myself remain convinced that, had the original package been better-designed/targeted, this scheme could indeed have been a success.

Had the lifetime-fee been B100k instead of a Million, for an automatic paperwork-free 5-year Visa-On-Arrival, and the right to own a couple of rai of land in your own name, then there might well have been a lot of people interested in paying-up. The green-fees & massage was always an irrelevant add-on IMO.

Then there might later have been an upgraded 'Thailand Platinum Elite Card', for all the people who wanted an 'in' with the government, for their proposed inward-investments.

But then again, who'd want people like us, in their elite-club ? tongue.png

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or perhaps, since the current administration is avowedly against Thai Elites, rename it 'Thailand Wow', instead ? Posted Image

I myself remain convinced that, had the original package been better-designed/targeted, this scheme could indeed have been a success.

Had the lifetime-fee been B100k instead of a Million, for an automatic paperwork-free 5-year Visa-On-Arrival, and the right to own a couple of rai of land in your own name, then there might well have been a lot of people interested in paying-up. The green-fees & massage was always an irrelevant add-on IMO.

Then there might later have been an upgraded 'Thailand Platinum Elite Card', for all the people who wanted an 'in' with the government, for their proposed inward-investments.

But then again, who'd want people like us, in their elite-club ? Posted Image

I am sure they - Thailand Elite and the members - would love to have you in the club. At least you are one of the only ones on this thread (and the previous ones) who does not insult anyone. It's kind of refreshing :)

But 100.000 for these privileges is a bit on the "cheap side", in my opinion. But who am I to judge what is cheap or not.

There could be a "card", an "Elite card" and, as you suggest, a "Platinum Elite card"... Could work. Why not.

Don't forget that the biggest group of members are the Koreans. They do not need a visa but come for the golf privileges. So, there must be a bit for everyone.

But attention !!! Danger! Danger!

Even with only a "card" at 100.000 you would immediately and automatically become the target of the "will never be members" (even at that price).

So, be very careful !

Ah... Uhm... No, sorry, why should anyone give a toss about Thaivisa haters' opinion :)

I love Thailand Elite :)

One of the axioms of living here successfully is to NEVER pay for anything in advance.

I won't be purchasing the elite card.

One of the axioms of making successful business here is to NEVER give anything before to get the money.

Well... I do not do business (here), but after reading this forum it is certainly what I would do :)

Next time I buy a plane ticket I will ask to pay at destination. Just to be sure I don't get ripped off :)

Edited by gerry1011

Or perhaps, since the current administration is avowedly against Thai Elites, rename it 'Thailand Wow', instead ? rolleyes.gif

I am sure they - Thailand Elite and the members - would love to have you in the club. At least you are one of the only ones on this thread (and the previous ones) who does not insult anyone. It's kind of refreshing smile.png

But 100.000 for these privileges is a bit on the "cheap side", in my opinion. But who am I to judge what is cheap or not.

There could be a "card", an "Elite card" and, as you suggest, a "Platinum Elite card"... Could work. Why not.

Don't forget that the biggest group of members are the Koreans. They do not need a visa but come for the golf privileges. So, there must be a bit for everyone.

Even with only a "card" at 100.000 you would immediately and automatically become the target of the "will never be members" (even at that price).

So, be very careful !

Ah... Uhm... No, sorry, why should anyone give a toss about Thaivisa haters' opinion smile.png

I love Thailand Elite smile.png

Thanks, there's no need to insult anybody, to make a valid point, is there ? We're all just fellow farangs chatting together on TV ! wai2.gif

Since the actual up-front cost of the card, a piece of plastic with your name/number printed on it, can't be more than a hundred baht or so, then B100k would still be very profitable to the Thai state, especially if it did attract the ordinary average long-term guest like me. You could build a lot of new infrastructure, with a few hundred thousand new members @ B100k each, why borrow trillions over 50-years !

Then add-in the cost-savings at Immigration, all of us long-stay people clogging-up the system with our annual-extensions & reporting & so-on, every little bit helps ! smile.png

But the logic of double-the-price and fewer benefits, for something which already failed in-the-marketplace, typical Thai marketing strikes (and will fail !) yet again ! cool.png

I am sure they - Thailand Elite and the members - would love to have you in the club. At least you are one of the only ones on this thread (and the previous ones) who does not insult anyone. It's kind of refreshing smile.png

So, be very careful !

Ah... Uhm... No, sorry, why should anyone give a toss about Thaivisa haters' opinion smile.png

I love Thailand Elite smile.png

Thanks, there's no need to insult anybody, to make a valid point, is there ? We're all just fellow farangs chatting together on TV ! wai2.gif

Since the actual up-front cost of the card, a piece of plastic with your name/number printed on it, can't be more than a hundred baht or so, then B100k would still be very profitable to the Thai state, especially if it did attract the ordinary average long-term guest like me. You could build a lot of new infrastructure, with a few hundred thousand new members @ B100k each, why borrow trillions over 50-years !

Then add-in the cost-savings at Immigration, all of us long-stay people clogging-up the system with our annual-extensions & reporting & so-on, every little bit helps ! smile.png

But the logic of double-the-price and fewer benefits, for something which already failed in-the-marketplace, typical Thai marketing strikes (and will fail !) yet again ! cool.png

funnily enough the original card I got (which I still have somewhere) was made from pure gold ( or so they said) not sure of the value , maybe I should take it to a gold shop and see what they say!

Edited by wordchild

Or perhaps, since the current administration is avowedly against Thai Elites, rename it 'Thailand Wow', instead ? Posted Image

I am sure they - Thailand Elite and the members - would love to have you in the club. At least you are one of the only ones on this thread (and the previous ones) who does not insult anyone. It's kind of refreshing Posted Image

So, be very careful !

Ah... Uhm... No, sorry, why should anyone give a toss about Thaivisa haters' opinion

I love Thailand Elite

Then add-in the cost-savings at Immigration, all of us long-stay people clogging-up the system with our annual-extensions & reporting & so-on, every little bit helps ! Posted Image

But the logic of double-the-price and fewer benefits, for something which already failed in-the-marketplace, typical Thai marketing strikes (and will fail !) yet again ! Posted Image

Well, I am convinced that you realize that price you pay to become a member is not related to the manufacturing costs of the cards themselves.

I very much agree with you that any system of "a fee in exchange of an easy long term visa" is beneficial to both sides. That is what Thailand Elite is about. You pay a fee and you get (among other things) an easy visa...

But then, if you think that it would be a good idea for you to get that kind of visa for 100.000b, you agree with the system of "buying an easy visa", which is something that seems to enrage many people on this forum.

I am totally on your side though: I do love the idea of buying myself an easy visa :)

Now, what value are we ready to put on such an easy visa?

You put the value of the visa (+ other privileges) at 100.000b.

Other posters in previous threads did put that value at 10.000b (!?!).

Some posters must already hate you for having put the value at 10 times what they would be prepared to pay :) Soon someone will say that you are are bragging about your wealth :)

Personally, I think that 1.000.000 was a very good value.

That price has now been doubled. Indeed.

But what a great visa: 1 year stay per stamp. No reporting. Change your visa only when you renew your passport... That cannot be cheap...

I am sure they - Thailand Elite and the members - would love to have you in the club. At least you are one of the only ones on this thread (and the previous ones) who does not insult anyone. It's kind of refreshing Posted Image

So, be very careful !

Ah... Uhm... No, sorry, why should anyone give a toss about Thaivisa haters' opinion Posted Image

I love Thailand Elite Posted Image

Thanks, there's no need to insult anybody, to make a valid point, is there ? We're all just fellow farangs chatting together on TV ! Posted Image

Then add-in the cost-savings at Immigration, all of us long-stay people clogging-up the system with our annual-extensions & reporting & so-on, every little bit helps ! Posted Image

But the logic of double-the-price and fewer benefits, for something which already failed in-the-marketplace, typical Thai marketing strikes (and will fail !) yet again ! Posted Image

funnily enough the original card I got (which I still have somewhere) was made from pure gold ( or so they said) not sure of the value , maybe I should take it to a gold shop and see what they say!

Yes, you're right. The first cards had indeed a value. Pure gold.

But not very practical, it was heavy :)

You pay a fee and you get (among other things) an easy visa...

But then, if you think that it would be a good idea for you to get that kind of visa for 100.000b, you agree with the system of "buying an easy visa", which is something that seems to enrage many people on this forum.

I am totally on your side though: I do love the idea of buying myself an easy visa smile.png

I think you are taking things out of it's context Gerry. Nobody on this forum is enraged about paying a fee for an easy visa, but paying 1 million for an easy visa is an amount that is way too high for the benefits of a visa only,as the massages and golf trips will suit only certain people, so 2 million with a yearly fee will also not .

Anyone with a bit of mayonaise in his head can have an " easy " visa in Thailand for a fraction of that price.

I am totally on your side though: I do love the idea of buying myself an easy visa Posted Image

I think you are taking things out of it's context Gerry. Nobody on this forum is enraged about paying a fee for an easy visa, but paying 1 million for an easy visa is an amount that is way too high for the benefits of a visa only,as the massages and golf trips will suit only certain people, so 2 million with a yearly fee will also not .

Anyone with a bit of mayonaise in his head can have an " easy " visa in Thailand for a fraction of that price.

Hi jbrain.

I missed you :)

We all have our own context.

But I am also on your side concerning the "mayonaise thing".

I am totally on your side though: I do love the idea of buying myself an easy visa smile.png

Hi jbrain.

I missed you smile.png

You know, if you really miss me, you can always sent me a plane ticket and I fly right over to Chiangrai to have a chat . biggrin.png

So before it was 1 million baht life time membership with no yearly fee and unlimited golf and spar.. and it DIDN'T sell. nOw 2 million baht and only 20 years with 20k a year fee and only 24 golf and spa... winnerlaugh.png

This is great I can not wait I will buy two to help Thailand All you Thai lover should do the same

I am totally on your side though: I do love the idea of buying myself an easy visa Posted Image

Hi jbrain.

I missed you Posted Image

You know, if you really miss me, you can always sent me a plane ticket and I fly right over to Chiangrai to have a chat . Posted Image

Actually I am now in Phuket. Was planing to leave to Malaysia tomorrow, but the weather is getting bad.

I might as well go up north.

I buy you a beer if you come (a quality beer, not a local cheap beer, of course :) )

So before it was 1 million baht life time membership with no yearly fee and unlimited golf and spar.. and it DIDN'T sell. nOw 2 million baht and only 20 years with 20k a year fee and only 24 golf and spa... winnerPosted Image

This is great I can not wait I will buy two to help Thailand All you Thai lover should do the same

Just to make you loose face I will also buy two more, then I will have three in total. I win !!!

:)

Anyone with half a brain can see this is all about gaining face, which is all that is important to the Thai psyche.

A relaunch has saved face for the government officials and bureaucrats that were involved in the original abject failure of the Elite Card.

Large amounts of money for very little in return might not seem like a bargain to us but to the rich Thai (and indeed to those that bow and scrape in turn to those buffoons), who is not and cannot be respected for anything other than his money, the most important thing about this card is face and status.

They simply are not clever enough to work out that most non-Asian foreigners will not buy this card without tangible benefits and value for money.

Another guaranteed failure waiting to happen.

So before it was 1 million baht life time membership with no yearly fee and unlimited golf and spar.. and it DIDN'T sell. nOw 2 million baht and only 20 years with 20k a year fee and only 24 golf and spa... winner:lol:

Just to make you loose face I will also buy two more, then I will have three in total. I win !!!

smile.png

Haha, simple Mr. Bean psychology...

So before it was 1 million baht life time membership with no yearly fee and unlimited golf and spar.. and it DIDN'T sell. nOw 2 million baht and only 20 years with 20k a year fee and only 24 golf and spa... winner:lol:

Posted Image

Haha, simple Mr. Bean psychology...

I don't know about the psychology, but this kind of (basic I must admit) humor made the real Mr Bean rich :)

Ouch ! I said "rich". Now even Mr Bean has enemies on Thai forum. Sorry :)

'Mr Bean' has no enemies on TV. He made his fortune honestly.

Uhm.... That could mean that "others" who made a fortune do indeed have enemies on TV... Interesting.

It's the crusade of the TV members (at least some) against the dirty ugly stinky rich (and the Thailand Elite members).

The only nice and honest wealthy guys are Mr Bean, Ronaldo and Tom Cruise :)

Uhm.... That could mean that "others" who made a fortune do indeed have enemies on TV... Interesting.

It's the crusade of the TV members (at least some) against the dirty ugly stinky rich (and the Thailand Elite members).

The only nice and honest wealthy guys are Mr Bean, Ronaldo and Tom Cruise smile.png

It is only in the imagination of the Elite card holders among the TV members, that there is a crusade going on against them.

In reality this thread only points out that the Elite card organisation is a scam.

The only nice and honest wealthy guys are Mr Bean, Ronaldo and Tom Cruise smile.png

It is only in the imagination of the Elite card holders among the TV members, that there is a crusade going on against them.

In reality this thread only points out that the Elite card organisation is a scam.

That's all really. Those naïve enough or those who weren't aware of it the first time around, are prime targets. Basically the consensus (or common sense) seems to be: it's not worth it, its a rip off.

The only nice and honest wealthy guys are Mr Bean, Ronaldo and Tom Cruise Posted Image

Yes you might be right.

"Crusade" was probably slightly too strong to use when speaking about the feelings of TV members regarding the TE program and the TE members (and related subject about where the wealthier spend their money).

My apologies to have come up with the word "crusade".

But understand that I must be a bit creative to keep this thread going on.

I did bet with a fellow TE member that I would make this TE thread the longest ever :)

The purpose of this thing is the huge amount of taxpayers' money that can be siphoned off. Look at the massive losses incurred by the existing Elite Card establishment. They set up a large company with big shot directors to administer a very simple thing and paid huge commissions to sellers and subsidies to those providing free golf, spa services etc. Paying big commissions to sell something which generates heavy losses for each one sold - go figure. Now they hope to be able to siphon off even more by selling for a higher price and charging annual fees for a limited 20 year validity.

There is already a perfectly good mechanism for generating income for the state in this way. It is called permanent residence and costs cB 185,000 per hit with a 50% discount for those with Thai wives. Just get off your <deleted> and generate income for the state (only) by approving the backlog of applicants who are made to wait up to 6 years for no apparent reason. Then come up with a meaningful retirement visa scheme modelled on the Malaysia My Second Home scheme that gives a 10 year renewable visa for those who bring in around Bt 2 million with the right to import a car duty free and buy a plot of residential land plus part time working allowed. But leave the existing retirement extension as an option for those who don't want or can't afford the premium retirement visa - they generate income too. Wealthy foreigners who don't want to live in Thailand don't need an Elite Card for their short term visits. They can come on transit visas and rent their own limousine. Most of the people who actually paid for Elite Cards the first time, rather than those who were given them free, are people living in Thailand who would have preferred permanent residence or a premium retirement visa scheme, if they were offered and didn't take 5-6 years with need to speak Thai, in the case of PR. I know a few Elite Card holders and at least two of them were rejected for PR.

Edited by Arkady

The Phua Thai government seems to be in a hurry now to launch their remaining "Gravy scams schemes" like pushing hard for the Bt2.2 Trillion loan, the “Roi Mua Sarng Muang”, (A Hundred Hands, Building Cities) scheme and the re-launch of the Elite card. Got the feeling of that they know that their days in power are coming to an end soon?

Never use a credit card in Thailand, also when it's called Elite Card. No securitiy for card holders, pishing very common.

There must be a funny joke here, or wise advise. Problem is is that I fail to see either.

Never use a credit card in Thailand, also when it's called Elite Card. No securitiy for card holders, pishing very common.

There must be a funny joke here, or wise advise. Problem is is that I fail to see either.

I think he posted in the wrong thread.

:)

Dear fellow TV members, Thailand Elite haters, visiting members and guests...

First of all, THANK YOU SO MUCH for your nice and interesting posts in this latest thread about Thailand Elite wai2.gif

We have reached 300 posts, which is the longest thread ever about this program !!! We can be proud of ourselves.
This is not only a milestone in the long life of the Thailand Elite program and its related discussions on this forum,... It also made me win my bet against my fellow Thailand Elite member (whom identity I will not reveal) (yet). He now owes me 1 beer (in Hong Kong) thumbsup.gif I am so happy !!! smile.png
I think I will have a Stella Artois...

Of course, to keep the thread going on for such an extended time, both sides have had to rely on lots of creativity, sometimes ingenuity, to twist and re-twist always the same (most of the time biased) ideas.
We saw some real great posts ! Thanks again !

It has been very entertaining to read again and again exactly what has been said countless and countless times since years and years.
The same arguments, the same bitterness, the same bad faith in many cases, the same anger in a surprisingly high number of posts, the same "words", often vulgar, ...but always coming back in a slighly different phrase (well, not for all posters, but let's say for some of the most intellectual ones).
We all had a nice time together. I think that this subject will always be entertaining, and I already look forward to the next thread. For those who love to follow the Thailand Elite threads, keep yourself ready, the next one will be coming very soon. If you miss the next one, no problem, there will be many more in the years coming...
If we keep the spirit up, we could even reach more posts in the next thread thumbsup.gif
In the 300 posts of this one, we could read again and again the same "bla bla bla" against the Thailand Elite program, quite an interesting number of insults aimed at the Thailand Elite members, many posts that were completely useless (including some of mine) except to make this thread keep going on, a lot of boring sarcastic posts, a few constructive exchange of ideas (TV is not really an ideal place for that), some reaaaally depressing posts from what seems to be depressed TV members too, but also, thank God (!), some refreshing humor and, rarely but it happended, some unexpected signs of respect (not for the Thailand Elite member, but for the human being who is behind the card)...

Some people who seemed very bitter at the beginning of the thread ended up looking quite nice. I was even invited to a wedding rolleyes.gif and my friend jbrain will soon come to see me (not sure where yet) to have a (quality) beer together thumbsup.gif
Of course, nothing is perfect. Some began as jerks and ended up as even bigger jerks, but ok, that's nature wink.png

One thing we can remember from these 300 posts is that it IS possible for a "will never be member" to enjoy the company of a Thailand Elite member without insulting him (idealy, and for best results, the "will never be member" should not know that the other guy is a Thailand Elite member) (But even if he knows it still may be possible in some cases).

Reading this thread we also understand that TV is composed of a wide variety of people coming from different horizons. Even if a majoriity seems to share the same type of horizon - and opinion about Thailand Elite program and its members - , there is still a bit of space available for others (the "odd ones" with another type of background) to participate in this forum and share a different perspective (which is not easily swallowed by the majority whistling.gif )

I have been happy to share with you all my very positive opinion about Thailand Elite and the benefits that this program brings to the country, as well as the members.

I look forward to read you again in the next thread !!!

Or, maybe some of you would like to go on till 400 posts? Then I have a chance to win one more beer from my friend in Hong Kong clap2.gif