Five-Car Pile-Up Brings Bangkok's Ratchada To A Standstill

webfact

Five-car pile-up brings Ratchada to a standstill
Supachai Phetchthewee
The Nation

30207380-01_big.jpg
A five-vehicle pile-up accident at 4.50am yesterday at Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- A five-vehicle pile-up early yesterday morning at Huai Khwang Tunnel entrance connecting with Ratchada Road in Bangkok's Din Daeng district, left three injured, police said.

Following the accident at around 4.50am, police and rescue workers rushed to the scene and found five vehicles on fire. Fire-fighters took only 15 minutes to bring the blaze under control. Three vehicles were completely burned out. Three people were rushed to Rajavithi Hospital with only minor injuries, police said.

The accident caused severe tailbacks during the morning rush hour on the inbound Ratchadaphisek Road up to the Sutthisan intersection, prompting authorities to speedily clear the wreckage site.

Sutthisan traffic police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Noppasin Phumee said the pile-up was caused by the heavy downpour, resulting in a slippery road surface. The accident reportedly occurred when an Isuzu truck entering the tunnel lost control. Vehicles behind it - including three taxis and a Toyota pick-up truck - were unable to brake in time to avoid a collision. The taxi behind the Isuzu truck smashed into its gas tank, causing the fire, police said.

Noppasin said road accidents in tunnels usually occurred when there was a heavy rainfall, leading to slippery conditions. He said police had already asked the city to clean oil stains from roads leading to tunnel entrances and to install traffic signals indicating that cars should slow down when approaching a tunnel.

Bangkok's 10 dangerous tunnels

Huai Khwang (11 crashes)

Lak Si Tunnel (seven accidents)

Kaset-Nawamin Intersection (six accidents)

Tha Phra

Sutthisan

Din Daeng

Phaholyothin-Lat Plakhao

Thavornthawat

Pattanakarn Road

Bang Phlat Intersection

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-01

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sutthisan traffic police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Noppasin Phumee said the pile-up was caused by the heavy downpour, resulting in a slippery road surface.

Ahhhh, ok. For a moment I thought it was caused by the general carelessness of Thai drivers and their ignorance of road conditions and how wet surfaces affect braking distances etc.

I'm glad to see it was the rain that caused the accident.

>The accident wasn't caused by a heavy downpour, but by the general Thai driving habit not to keep any distance to the front car.

Exactly,... no matter how the weather is, the majority of Thai drivers drive like crazy, possessed-cursed Ridge street Racers...bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifcrazy.gif

How obvious is it, that during heavy rain like yesterday, you got to drive careful??? 1zgarz5.gif

Maybe the police think it's not bad driving because that's how they drive.

Sutthisan traffic police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Noppasin Phumee said the pile-up was caused by the heavy downpour, resulting in a slippery road surface.

Ahhhh, ok. For a moment I thought it was caused by the general carelessness of Thai drivers and their ignorance of road conditions and how wet surfaces affect braking distances etc.

It's completely mechanical, caused by the nut loose behind wheel.

• Like 1

speed plus rain plus bad driving habits equals the thai road toll, well at least half of it, maybe if they slowed down and didnt tail gate the cars in front it wouldnt happen as much, bloody idiots

The rain has no face to lose and cannot sue for defamation, so blaming the rain is the logical thing to do, isn't it?

Well the police report is very understandable, 'general carelessness of Thai drivers and their ignorance of road conditions and how wet surfaces affect braking distances etc.' are a stable factor, just add rain and you have a problem.

Your viewpoint is just one of an outsider smile.png Edited by rubberduck

oh thais... always putting the blame on external factors... never on the driver.

When it's raining, and the road is wet, means you have to reduce speed by half, not keep the same high speed as most thai drivers do...

On wet roads you can speed, yes, but when it comes to braking you are in deep s**t... that's what most drivers don't understand.

braking on wet road mixed with lots of oil and rubber lefts, can take 3 times longer to brake, not to mention that the car has a high chance of wheel locking and spinning.

Edited by brfsa2

The police report seems stangely different from the photo supplied. OTOH they rarely match reality.

How so? It looks to me like the truck lost it and went sideways, catching a few tailgaters or those attempting to pass. This tunnel, to me is just plain scarey, wet or dry. I've personally seen it in the wee hours and, luckily, traffic is relatively sparse (or in this case it probably would have been a lot more than just 5 vehicles). The drivers actually have to focus and drive somewhat sanely to traverse it which may be a challenge for many to do so ... even sober.

Edited by MaxYakov

Great photo! It never ceases to amaze me that there are so many of you that think they know the cause of the accident, haven't you got a life? The one thing that I have noticed is that there are far less road deaths in low season and yet when there's an accident it's always the Thais' fault. Even the Russian guy that cut himself in 2 (how fast must he have been going?) was almost exonerated by some idiot poster who claimed that it was probably the Thais' fault. I live in Koh Phangan and the manner in which some of the tourists that come here drive their rented vehicles, especially the motor scooters is nothing short of reckless.

My advice to the low life that comes here is get yourself one less tattoo and take a driving lesson with the time you've saved and lay off the Thais, there are good and bad drivers among us all.

• Like 1

Thai Traffic Lights.

Geen - Go, and okay to "jump" early so you get ahead of everyone else. If cross traffic is coming, they will surely stop and not hit you.

Yellow - Petal to the Metal, even if it means going around 4-5 cars in front of you.

Red - Stop, but only if you are more than 100 meters from the intersection.

Stating the obvious to a Thai is like trying to explain to a Chimp why Newton's Law is bad for you when swinging through the trees. Considering the Driving Test I'm amazed there is not a lot more carnage on the roads.

Crap Roads + Idiots Driving = Accidents

Don't worry they were all probably saved with the Amulets that they were wearing.blink.png

• Like 2

The police report seems stangely different from the photo supplied. OTOH they rarely match reality.

How so? It looks to me like the truck lost it and went sideways, catching a few tailgaters or those attempting to pass. This tunnel, to me is just plain scarey, wet or dry. I've personally seen it in the wee hours and, luckily, traffic is relatively sparse (or in this case it probably would have been a lot more than just 5 vehicles). The drivers actually have to focus and drive somewhat sanely to traverse it which may be a challenge for many to do so ... even sober.

"The taxi behind the Isuzu truck smashed into its gas tank, causing the fire, police said." Now look at the picture.

there's this elementary concept of driving slowly and carefully to avoid accidents especially in downpour. I figured it was brake failure again, haha. But no it was just rain! (deep down wonder if some of them had booze too, c'mon 4:50 am on ratchada)..

• Like 1