Thailand, Sri Lanka Boost Cooperation In Various Fields

webfact

Thailand, Sri Lanka boost cooperation in various fields
By Digital Media

1370057955568.jpg

BANGKOK, June 1 – Thailand and Sri Lanka have agreed to expand bilateral and multilateral cooperation on religion, trade and investment, and education, according to a government spokesman.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra who is currently visiting the South Asian island country, held talks with Sri Lanka President Mahinda Rajapaksa on a variety of issues and closer cooperation between the two countries.

The Thai leader hailed the Sri Lankan government for its success in peace dialogues with separatist militants Tamil Eelam in the last few years.

Ms Yingluck said the religious relationship between Thailand and Sri Lanka has been healthy, with educational exchange programmes for Thai and Sri Lanka Buddhist monks and Buddhism-related tourism for pilgrimage.

On trade and investment, the two countries agreed to enhance bilateral investment and exchange business information for mutual benefits.

Mr Rajapaksa invited Thai businessmen to invest in Sri Lanka, especially on infrastructure development projects, power generating, small and medium industries and production for export.

Regarding technical cooperation, the two leaders emphasised human resource development with exchange programmes for educators, and development of school management and information technology for education.

Ms Yingluck proposed measures to eliminate obstacles on aviation in order to connect Thailand with Asian countries and facilitate travels.

The two countries agreed to multilateral cooperation on a regional and international basis under the frameworks of the World Trade Organisation, United National Conference on Trade and Development, Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation, and Asia Cooperation Dialogue.

Ms Yingluck and Mr Rajapaksa witnessed the signing of four memorandums of understanding (MoUs) on visa exemption for diplomats and government officials, tourism cooperation, science and technology cooperation and the establishment of Ayutthaya and Kandy as sister cities. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-2013-06-01

The Thai leader hailed the Sri Lankan government for its success in peace dialogues with separatist militants Tamil Eelam in the last few years.

Some people think the way Sri Lankan government achieved peace was no by dialogue, but at the end of a rifle, and others that call it genocide.

Whay does the sentence "Do you want to buy some rice?" just pop into my head when I see these posed photos...?

I was thinking the same thing....dodgy Thai rice in exchange for Ceylons finest tea perhaps ?

Actually Yingluck should feel quite at home in Colombo. The Sri Lankan government is dominated by the Rajapaksa family with 3 of them, including the PM, in the cabinet. More family members have been appointed to other posts.

Sound familiar?

They also have a rather poor human rights record as, apart from a close to massacre of the Tamil Tigers & many Tamil civilians, a number of Tamils have been openly assassinated in Colombo - with no arrests made. Shades of Thaksin's war on drugs.

But of course they are so called 'Buddists' so that's all right then.

I wonder what the average trips abroad---- PMs-Heads of state, etc, of all countries.

Does Y.S, do more trips per year than the average ???? interesting.

Not saying it's wrong to boost ones country image abroad, far from it. But is it me that being here notices that the PM is away an awful lot.

May be this is over the top but the Visit to the Islands was by invitation, so it seems that HAS to be a YES.

Does this government ask all countries to send and invitation. ???

My take on this trade thing-cooperation- could well be served by the minister appro., Giving the P.M. more time for pressing matters HERE, but I also observe when she is here, she spends an awful lot of time away from goverment house matters.

Actually Yingluck should feel quite at home in Colombo. The Sri Lankan government is dominated by the Rajapaksa family with 3 of them, including the PM, in the cabinet. More family members have been appointed to other posts.

Sound familiar?

They also have a rather poor human rights record as, apart from a close to massacre of the Tamil Tigers & many Tamil civilians, a number of Tamils have been openly assassinated in Colombo - with no arrests made. Shades of Thaksin's war on drugs.

Actually the similarity is the military connection. Both countries have had governments that used the army to kill their own citizens.

Sound familiar?

Actually the similarity is the military connection. Both countries have had governments that used the army to kill their own citizens.

OH please, Suppose you omitted the WHY ???

Sound familiar?

Did you bother to read my post? The real similarity is both governments are dominated (& ruled) by a single family and both have little concept of democracy. Using the military is a side issue & yes, both have done it (as I mentioned in my post).

This is the second time today that you have attempted to twist my posts to suit your viewpoint.

• 6 months later...