How Do You Know If A Bottle Of Jack Is Genuine ?

rubberduck

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taste would be a dead giveaway with Jacks. Its the only thing they couldn't fake.

Isn't that right Weegee!

Yep....Do not buy No7 Jack in thailand....it's anything but JD....SMELL helps, but you have to buy to open. If the Black seal is loose and you cant get your nail under it to rip it off....IT"S FAKE....Pick up your gentlemen Jack from Duty Free at Singapore. It's the real deal

Good point about the seal. Also check that it has the plastic 'pourer' inserted into the neck of the bottle; I have seen many without this, but they were coming in from Burma.

• Like 1

RD, if you want the quality of JD, then don't buy at border crossings! As some posters have said, the price is usually a dead give-away for the product.

Buy it in-country from any reputable distributer and as long as it has the Thai tax label on it, it will be good. Generally they won't copy this as the penalties are too high. The tax label is required for any bar or club to sell across the counter.

And as a final indicator for genuine quality, if it turns green when you add ice this is not a good sign.

Ensure your body is between the poured drink and your guest, add the coke, stir and serve the guest.

Excuse yourself for about 10 minutes and return (Generally enough time for the toxins to affect the blood stream or nervous system).

If no visible signs are present with the guest, continue hosting said guest and sip your own drink slowly...............

RD, I do hope you realize I don't really mean the above; if indeed it does turn green, save it for someone you don't like..............thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

For the price songsam is okay, not good, but okay. However remember songsam is a rum, not a whiskey.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just goes to show how much I know. I just assumed Sang Som was a sort of Thai Whiskey, I've never tried it. But yes, I see it is a rum, distilled from molasses.

ThaiBev: "The Circle of Happiness" ("no wonder it feels like the room is spinning")

http://www.thaibev.com/en08/product.aspx?sublv1gID=12

I would imagine the specific gravity of the real and fake would be different so just buy a hydrometer/refractometer. You can buy Jack D flavoring or Chivas or most other spirits. However flying with a refractometer is a problem as the people checking luggage think it's some kind of bomb or gun. Moonshiners in the States use wood chips. When I was a kid I heard that 80% of the whiskey in New Orleans was faked. Don't know if it was true.

Edited by chiangmaikelly
  • Like 1

sounds like its all fakes in Thailand. I suggest just buy fake stuff, at least your not getting ripped off. Plus it allows you to plan ahead with the thunder clap headache the next day....sick.gif

For the price songsam is okay, not good, but okay. However remember songsam is a rum, not a whiskey.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But only as a mixer...............thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I actually did a comparison on this subject a while ago, I bought a bottle from Duty Free Mai Sai and a bottle from Tesco......the easiest way.....the label and taste!

The real stuff has an embossed thick metallic type label, the fake stuff has a plain paper label (normally with ripples in it) that is flat and not embossed and feels 'cheap'...also, side by side the comparison is really easy...there is no comparison in taste!

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/607043-buying-booze-in-tachilek-jack-daniels/

• Like 1

Yes any large retail chain, especially those with international affiliations will refrain from stocking knock-offs of such prominent brands, especially where the actual quality difference is so noticeable once the customer actually consumes the product.

I would imagine the specific gravity of the real and fake would be different so just buy a hydrometer/refractometer. You can buy Jack D flavoring or Chivas or most other spirits. However flying with a refractometer is a problem as the people checking luggage think it's some kind of bomb or gun. Moonshiners in the States use wood chips. When I was a kid I heard that 80% of the whiskey in New Orleans was faked. Don't know if it was true.

"Moonshiners in the States??" How libelous. tongue.png

This fake Jack Daniels issue is only the tip of the iceberg though is it not ?

If you look at other brands of distilled liquor and consider the incentives to fake them it gets scary.

Then there's the adulteration issue.

What dairy products or, for that matter juice products could be added here ?

When you really think of it would anyone here agree that Thai Visa is damned brave to run a thread like this on a public forum ?

This fake Jack Daniels issue is only the tip of the iceberg though is it not ?

If you look at other brands of distilled liquor and consider the incentives to fake them it gets scary.

Then there's the adulteration issue.

What dairy products or, for that matter juice products could be added here ?

When you really think of it would anyone here agree that Thai Visa is damned brave to run a thread like this on a public forum ?

Have to agree Donnie, you need to be on your toes. Some real good copiers out there, I nearly got caught out with the below:

post-76988-0-21460900-1370220526_thumb.j post-76988-0-77099000-1370220550_thumb.j

Luckily, I was on the ball that day....................rolleyes.gif

Edit: Click on the thumbs to enlarge

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

Spelling mistakes on fakes?

I believe the REAL one spells whisky wrongly.

Bit of nerve even calling it whisky. Everyone I know drinks JD and coke, to hide the taste anyway.

With real whisky, mixing with coke could get you into a fight where I come from in Aberdeen.

I used to like the taste of JD although as with all alcohol the taste was secondary, the effect was primary.

• Like 1

"Black Labial" wink.png Gotta be a joke. Like the JD spoof label.

What do they say, "Once you've tried....".

Bit of nerve even calling it whisky.

Believe "Whisky" is sort of AC for Scotland only, while "Whiskey" can be used for product distilled elsewhere.

post-9615-0-47163200-1370221231_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Spelling mistakes on fakes?

I believe the REAL one spells whisky wrongly.

Bit of nerve even calling it whisky. Everyone I know drinks JD and coke, to hide the taste anyway.

With real whisky, mixing with coke could get you into a fight where I come from in Aberdeen.

I used to like the taste of JD although as with all alcohol the taste was secondary, the effect was primary.

Coke enhances the JD....gets it into the blood stream quickerthumbsup.gif ....recommended by Dr weegee

• Like 1

"Black Labial" wink.png Gotta be a joke. Like the JD spoof label.

What do they say, "Once you've tried....".

Bit of nerve even calling it whisky.

Believe "Whisky" is sort of AC for Scotland only, while "Whiskey" can be used for product distilled elsewhere.

The 'Black Labial' bottle was brought back from Laos for me a few years ago, but I think it originated in China. To be honest, I didn't try it myself, but those that finished the bottle survived and I don't recall any hangover complaints the next day.

Their sight came back gradually over the next couple of days...................tongue.png

A third of the world’s alcohol is estimated to come from what we call illicit production, executive of Brown-Forman, told the Financial Times, Maker of JACK DANIELS “It can

be very dangerous to the point of being poisonous.”

The International Center for Alcohol Policies says that 33 per cent of the alcohol consumed in the world is unregistered. According to The Head of the International

Federation of Spirits Producers, spirits companies lose more than $1bn a year from counterfeit alcohols & over 30 countries sell these Alcohols!

• Like 1

Often the only way to tell a fake diamond is to place it on a piece of wood and hit it with a hammer. If it shatters it is fake and if not it is real. You could use the same strategy to test your Jack. Drink the entire bottle. If it is fake, and you end up shattered, the next morning your tongue will feel like wood and your head like someone has hit you with a hammer.

• Like 1

Be careful. Recently a tourist or two in Bali have died drinking fake booze. Someone had added methanol.

How can we spot this type of fake?

I bought a bottle of JD at the big shop between Immigration posts on the Thai/Burma Border for ฿495.00, and have an occasional drop. So far, so good.

Are you guys certain all this stuff is fake?

Good point about the seal. Also check that it has the plastic 'pourer' inserted into the neck of the bottle; I have seen many without this, but they were coming in from Burma.

Far as I remember that 'plastic 'pourer'' is required by Thai law. In my country they don't have them also. Barowners who use non drips hate them.

Fake JD gives you a shocker of a hangover.....Real JD doesntthumbsup.gif

U-huh..coffee1.gif

Where did you get that fake JD? Was it a lot cheaper..?

I am with you after the first drink or two who cares?

I found drinking Chateau Upchuck gave me the same effect.

In the morning I was fine. If all you want is taste why are you picking JD I found CC to be much smoother. Then you can step up to the more expensive ones.

Be careful. Recently a tourist or two in Bali have died drinking fake booze. Someone had added methanol.

How can we spot this type of fake?

I bought a bottle of JD at the big shop between Immigration posts on the Thai/Burma Border for ฿495.00, and have an occasional drop. So far, so good.

Are you guys certain all this stuff is fake?

You can almost guarantee it was fake. Here's another link of a death due to fake alcohol...in this case, gin.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/british-woman-died-after-drinking-poisoned-gin-on-holiday-in-indonesia-8622000.html