Time Frame For Non-Imm O Visa?

Hey all, quick question -

I have never applied for a VISA when going to Thailand. Eventually, I plan to leave South Korea (where I live and work - but I am American) and "retire" in Thailand with my Thai spouse (marriage VISA).

I know I need a Non-Imm "O" visa prior to arrival (thanks to the wonderful information here).

When I go to apply for the Non-Imm O VISA, do I need to have a ticket in hand or a time frame of when I plan to leave South Korea?

In other words, is there such a thing as a "time frame" on when I will need it? Like an open ended ticket I suppose? Or do I need a ticket in hand and firm dates for departure from here to Thailand?

I also know it's kinda strange to not know when one is set to retire. With my line of work - when the contract is up - if we don't get renewed - I'll be heading to Thailand instead of stateside.

Thanks as always for the help. ;)

Requirement for visa will depend on the Consulate in Korea - you will have to ask them if they have any requirement for ticket. It varies by Consulate and nationality so no set answer.

You can obtain a non immigrant O visa here in Thailand during the extension of stay process if you show the normal 400k in bank account and have more than 15 days remaining on entry stamp. But better to get at Consulate before travel if you can.

• Like 1

If you come over without a visa, you must have a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival or can be denied boarding by the airline. Often not enforced within Asia, but not sure about Korea and depends on the airline.

But yes, you can convert inside of Thailand ( for which immirgaiton most likely will send you to Bangkok). After 60 day you return to your immirgaiton office and apply for a 1 year extension of stay.

When they issue a visa it will say something like "use by XX-XXX-XXXX", so the clock starts ticking on the visa when it's issued. That's why it's best not to get it W-A-Y in advance of your expected departure -- you'll just waste part of the validity time for the visa.

• Like 1

Yes but in OP case, and any single entry visa, he only needs one entry and plans to extend his stay so all he needs to worry about is arrival before expiration of visa (three months from issue).