Retirement "o" And "o-A" Visa's - What Do I Do

Thanks for the info guys

At the moment I'm planning on apply for a "O" Visa at the Hull consulate. I can show them that I have the necessary funds in my bank account. I then plan to fly to Thailand and go to an immigration office and apply for the "O-A" retirement visa which I know has be be renewed every 12 months.

My concern was that when I first flew out I might have a problem at the immigration office because I will only have booked a condo for the 1st couple of months I am in Thailand. During the first couple of months I plan to look for a house to rent.

---------------

I then plan to fly to Thailand and go to an immigration office and apply for the "O-A" retirement visa which I know has be be renewed every 12 months.

No that is not correct.

The O-A visa will only be given in your home country.

What you want and probably mean is that you intend to EXTEND your non immigrant O visa in Thailand for a year at a time based on retirement here.

That is done at your local immigration office in Thailand.

I received my original non immigrant O visa in Hull in 2010. It was a multi entry visa good for one year.

Since then I have extended that visa 3 times, and my current extension is good until October 2013.

The VISA gets you into Thailand,

The annual EXTENSION based on retirement keeps you here.

But if your actually looking for an true O-A retirement visa it must be given outside of Thailand, and usually in your home country.

The O-A visa may require a doctor's certificate and a police records check, that's why it is usually done in your home country.

That's how and why people sometimes get confused by calling it a retirement visa.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the the pro and cons of choosing to start with an O-A visa or not, there have been a number of threads talking about that over the years. Right now, I don't feel like listing them again, but there is a forum search function here.

For many the problem with the OA (AKA: long stay visa) visa is the medical being very costly or the police certificate being difficult to get.

The OA visa can only be gotten at Thai embassies or official consulates. Honorary Thai consulates (IE: Hull) cannot issue them.

Since they can issue the OA visas embassies and official consulates will not issue a non-o visa for retirement. This is why many people end up with tourist visas or do an exempt entry.

Edited by ubonjoe

For many the problem with the OA (AKA: long stay visa) visa is the medical being very costly or the police certificate being difficult to get.

The OA visa can only be gotten at Thai embassies or official consulates. Honorary Thai consulates (IE: Hull) cannot issue them.

Since they can issue the OA visas embassies and official consulates will not issue a non-o visa for retirement. This is why many people end up with tourist visas or do an exempt entry.

There was no problem for me & certainly not expensive nor difficult to get either of the forms you mention.

The medical certificate can be downloaded from the Thai Embassy website. My Dr charged me ten pounds to fill it in and the police report can be picked up/filled in and returned to your local station they will send it off to Scotland Yard who will reply to you direct again, Ten Pounds.

I accept the only advantages with a multi entry OA by tho jumping thro the extra hoops is No Border Runs and and getting almost 2yrs out of a visa before having to Show Funds in Thailand, and if you are heading here to see if you will like living here then I think it's the way to go.

Edited by Tafia

There was no problem for me & certainly not expensive nor difficult to get either of the forms you mention.

The medical certificate can be downloaded from the Thai Embassy website. My Dr charged me ten pounds to fill it in and the police report can be picked up/filled in and returned to your local station they will send it off to Scotland Yard who will reply to you direct again, Ten Pounds.

I accept the only advantages with a multi entry OA by tho jumping thro the extra hoops is No Border Runs and and getting almost 2yrs out of a visa before having to Show Funds in Thailand, and if you are heading here to see if you will like living here then I think it's the way to go.

Deleted post - sorry got my facts wrong-happens to the best of us. Information on Police certificate for Thailand Visa application here is correct!

Edited by partington

I did mine in 2008 but a mate did his last year as per I outlined. maybe different stations different rules??

Tho as I said the main advantages (I think) outweigh the others, all said living here is a lot different to the holiday mode we all enjoyed before taking the plunge.... but each to their own.

Edited by Tafia

I did mine in 2008 but a mate did his last year as per I outlined. maybe different stations different rules??

Tho as I said the main advantages (I think) outweigh the others, all said living here is a lot different to the holiday mode we all enjoyed before taking the plunge.... but each to their own.

Yes you're quite right, I was mistaken( see above.) The ACPO police certificate I mentioned incorrectly in my deleted post ( http://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx ) is an agreed scheme applying to visa applications for Australia, Canada, New Zealand, S. Africa or USA.

For Thailand and other countries, your description is quite correct ( https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q542.htm )

"For other countries - the police can make checks of what is held on their computer systems about individuals and it is known as a subject access request. This is not a criminal records check. The police check will either provide a certificate stating that there is currently no information held about you on the police computer systems or it will provide a list of convictions.

There are three possible ways of obtaining the form. You can write/telephone the force involved and they will post one out to you, if you are outside the UK you can ask a friend or relative to collect one from the local police station in the force area concerned or some forces may have the form on their website that you can download.

By law these checks have to be done in a maximum of 40 days. The cost of one of these types of checks is £10."

Sorry about that!
  • Like 1

That's your choice, but if you're confused, the solution could be to just continue to ask questions here until it becomes clear. There is naturally a learning curve for everyone who is beginning to get into the immigration system here.

• Like 2

That's your choice, but if you're confused, the solution could be to just continue to ask questions here until it becomes clear. There is naturally a learning curve for everyone who is beginning to get into the immigration system here.

Hi jingthing

Basically I have just found out that I can retire later this year. I should retire at the end of August. So I would love to go and live in Thailand.

(1) I basically want a 1 year visa

(2) I am going to rent my house here and rent a house in Thailand.

(3) My parents are still alive so at least once a year I will want to come back to England to visit them. I don't want to the trip to invalidate my visa. If that is possible

(4) Also if one of my parents suddenly take ill I want to be on the first available plane back. Do I need to get a new visa in the UK for Thailand

(5) I am going to rent a home in Pattaya on a long term lease. I may not have a long term rental in place when I apply for the visa. I plan to book a condo for one or two months. And as soon has I arrive in Pattaya start looking for a home to rent on a ;long term lease

Edited by blue1878

With that info, you could go either way:

1. Start with an O-A

2. Start with an O, then retirement extension

Your worries about travelling are largely unfounded.

With the O-A you can stay in Thailand for about 2 years without any need of a retirement extension in Thailand. During it's validity with a MULTI ENTRY O-A, you get an additional one year stay on each entry for the validity of the initial visa.

Then after that is used, you start applying for annual extensions.

On retirement extensions, you purchase REENTRY permits at Thai immigration which keeps your annual extension valid upon reentry.

The only potential problem while being on retirement extensions is that you DO need to be in Thailand during the ANNUAL time of your application for a new annual extension. If you can't be, then yes, you'd need to start all over again.

Bottom line there should be no need to EVER apply for a new visa in the UK (only extensions in Thailand) as long as you learn how to use the system, and can be in Thailand every year right before your annual application period.

Also even if you mess up you don't need to go to the UK for a new O visa. You can go to Malaysia or Laos for that or even enter on a 30 day stamp and convert to a new O at Thai immigration.

Another point, for an O-A application in the UK you are on your own.

But if you go the route of not using an O-A if for some reason you are not confident in making this happen for you when you arrive in Thailand, there are commercial visa services that will hold your hand and help you get your first extension.

They aren't so expensive. I don't NORMALLY recommend these kinds of services, but just mentioning that there is professional help available if you feel you need it.

I am not talking about the shady "visa fixers" that help people who don't actually meet the financial requirements but rather outfits that will help you comply with rules fully legally.

As far as the short lease question and current Jomtien specific requirements for residence documentation for both 90 day reports and annual extenders, as I've said before, I do not know. I think this was discussed on another thread here. If you can't find that thread, perhaps you could start a new thread with that SPECIFIC inquiry.

Edited by Jingthing

With that info, you could go either way:

1. Start with an O-A

2. Start with an O, then retirement extension

Your worries about travelling are largely unfounded.

With the O-A you can stay in Thailand for about 2 years without any need of a retirement extension in Thailand. During it's validity with a MULTI ENTRY O-A, you get an additional one year stay on each entry for the validity of the initial visa.

Then after that is used, you start applying for annual extensions.

On retirement extensions, you purchase REENTRY permits at Thai immigration which keeps your annual extension valid upon reentry.

The only potential problem while being on retirement extensions is that you DO need to be in Thailand during the ANNUAL time of your application for a new annual extension. If you can't be, then yes, you'd need to start all over again.

Bottom line there should be no need to EVER apply for a new visa in the UK (only extensions in Thailand) as long as you learn how to use the system, and can be in Thailand every year right before your annual application period.

Also even if you mess up you don't need to go to the UK for a new O visa. You can go to Malaysia or Laos for that or even enter on a 30 day stamp and convert to a new O at Thai immigration.

Another point, for an O-A application in the UK you are on your own.

But if you go the route of not using an O-A if for some reason you are not confident in making this happen for you when you arrive in Thailand, there are commercial visa services that will hold your hand and help you get your first extension.

They aren't so expensive. I don't NORMALLY recommend these kinds of services, but just mentioning that there is professional help available if you feel you need it.

I am not talking about the shady "visa fixers" that help people who don't actually meet the financial requirements but rather outfits that will help you comply with rules fully legally.

As far as the short lease question and current Jomtien specific requirements for residence documentation for both 90 day reports and annual extenders, as I've said before, I do not know. I think this was discussed on another thread here. If you can't find that thread, perhaps you could start a new thread with that SPECIFIC inquiry.

I'm beginning to think that it is best to apply for a 1 year 'O' visa in this country and then apply for 1 year extensions in Thailand. As it happens I have a holiday booked for Pattaya at the end of july. I will be in Thailand for 3 weeks. It might be worth me going to the immigration office and asking for advice. This holiday was booked months ago.

I don't know why but I have it in my head that with a 1 year O visa I have to do a visa run every 90 days. This is part of the reason why I was thinking of applying for a O-A visa. I dont want the hassle of doing a border run every 90 days.

Yes with a REGULAR one year visa you DO INDEED need to do visa runs every 90 days!

It is total overkill to get a ONE YEAR O visa just to come here and apply for an annual retirement extension.

All you need for that is a SINGLE ENTRY, good for a 90 day stay, then you apply for the annual extension during the last 30 days of that 90 days.

I see you are still confused. Oh well.

I am getting confused too.

Did you ask Hull for a SINGLE ENTRY O and they steered you towards a ONE YEAR O?

Again, on retirement extensions or an O-A, visa runs every 90 days not needed. Address reports are every time you are in Thailand for 90 days.

I hate to say this but visiting the Jomtien immigration office is NOT the best place to get advice. Their focus is processing stuff and they are very busy. They pretty much expect you to know what you want.

Changing the subject a bit: why DON'T you apply for an O-A visa in the UK? Now that you have learned something about it, what about the O-A and the application process is a problem for you?

I don't know you of course but I am starting to get the feeling that the O-A might be a good choice for you. You get it in the UK. You can get it based on showing money in the UK and/or showing an income source. Read the rules on the embassy to see specifically how you vcan financially qualify. Once it is done, you are set for two years in Thailand (you have to do ONE visa run at the right time to maximize it to about two years), and then you have TWO YEARS to learn about the retirement extension system. You'll be set for travel to the UK anytime during it's validity, no 90 day visa runs, and the only business with immigration will be the 90 day address reports needed every time you are in Thailand for 90 days.

Edited by Jingthing

Yes with a REGULAR one year visa you DO INDEED need to do visa runs every 90 days!

It is total overkill to get a ONE YEAR O visa just to come here and apply for an annual retirement extension.

All you need for that is a SINGLE ENTRY, good for a 90 day stay, then you apply for the annual extension during the last 30 days of that 90 days.

I see you are still confused. Oh well.

I am getting confused too.

Did you ask Hull for a SINGLE ENTRY O and they steered you towards a ONE YEAR O?

Again, on retirement extensions or an O-A, visa runs every 90 days not needed. Address reports are every time you are in Thailand for 90 days.

I hate to say this but visiting the Jomtien immigration office is NOT the best place to get advice. Their focus is processing stuff and they are very busy. They pretty much expect you to know what you want.

Sorry for confusing you.

Hull have not steered me towards a one year O

One worry is that I live in the UK and dont own or rent a house in Pattaya

I'm just trying to work out in my own mind what is the best way to stay in Thailand

Going by what your saying I should just apply for a single entry O visa

And during the last 30 days I should go to the jomtien immigration and apply for a 1 year retirement extension.

I am going to guess that if I book a condo for the first 2 months of my single entry visa that will be OK for immigration at the airport. During that two months I can look for a house that I can rent on a long term lease. And hopefully have moved into the house before applying for a 1 year extension on the visa.

I will have the money in place before applying for a 1 year retirement extension. So I should get my visa

Immigration at the airport is of NO concern about your Thai address.

If that's what you think we've been talking about, that's kind of funny actually.

You can put down ANY address on your landing form, a hotel is typical. Not a concern!

Your concern with showing proof of residence is during 90 day address reports and also upon application for annual retirement extension at the Jomtien immigration office.

I think they like to see a lease for renters.

Yes a one year lease would be very good. A short lease showing for an annual extension, I don't even know if they will accept that now.

Yes I think the single entry O, then a retirement extension is a fine plan too.

That or the O-A from the UK.

You choose!

Edited by Jingthing

Immigration at the airport is of NO concern about your Thai address.

If that's what you think we've been talking about, that's kind of funny actually.

You can put down ANY address on your landing form, a hotel is typical. Not a concern!

Your concern with showing proof of residence is during 90 day address reports and also upon application for annual retirement extension at the Jomtien immigration office.

I think they like to see a lease for renters.

Yes a one year lease would be very good. A short lease showing for an annual extension, I don't even know if they will accept that now.

Yes I think the single entry O, then a retirement extension is a fine plan too.

That or the O-A from the UK.

You choose!

No what I ment was if I applied for an O visa in the UK the only immigration people that will see an address is the immigration in the airport. And they wont be bothered. So I should get into the country with the O visa and no permenent address. I can then during the first few weeks of my stay in Pattaya I can look for a house to rent and get a one year lease that should satisfy the immigration in Jomtien.

So now I just need to decide if I go for a O or a O-A visa

Real simple:

Visas are obtained outside of Thailand by Thai Embassies and Consulates

Permission to Stay are issued inside of Thailand by Thai Immigration

Once you understand that, all the terminology bantered around here makes sense

The biggest advantage of the O-A Multiple Entry Visa is that you can get two years out of it by doing one border run right before it expires, thus giving you plenty of time to get a residence, set up a Thai bank account, and decide where in Thailand you want to settle.

Even though I only ever visit Thailand on a tourist visa I do already have a thai bank account.

Luckily I have a few months before deciding on what visa to go for

Real simple:

Visas are obtained outside of Thailand by Thai Embassies and Consulates

Permission to Stay are issued inside of Thailand by Thai Immigration

Once you understand that, all the terminology bantered around here makes sense

The biggest advantage of the O-A Multiple Entry Visa is that you can get two years out of it by doing one border run right before it expires, thus giving you plenty of time to get a residence, set up a Thai bank account, and decide where in Thailand you want to settle.

Excellent post Langsuan Man !!

There is one other item that would sell me on recommending a person obtain an O-A Multiple Entry Visa from the Thai Embassy in their home country. In the two years I stayed in Thailand, I met a number of people personally and also read accounts on multiple message boards of people having various problems/obstacles dealing with a local immigration office. Often it is simply because some local immigration yahoo decides that he or she wants form x now instead of form y or adds on some other additional requirements that require additional running around. Granted that if you are permanently staying in Thailand, you will eventually have to deal with them for the Permission to Stay. But having an O-A Multiple Entry Visa gives the new retired gent or lady a good stay before having to run through a bunch of hoops. Just my 2cents! smile.png

Edited by Baloo22
  • Like 1

I made my post in a general contexts not based upon any country. For the UK it may be easy.

I recall a post from a member that had to pay a Doctor in the US about $300 for a physical in order to get the certificate signed. If you don't have a doctor that you regularly see it will increase the cost substantially.

For some countries getting the police certificate can be a long and problematic affair.

If you get a single entry non-o visa and get an extension you do not do border runs.

Edited by ubonjoe

No doubt the extra items needed for the O-A application that are not needed for starting with retirement extensions, the medical and police, are on the side of CONS for choosing the O-A path. The degree of the extra bother varies.

When I go to live in Thailand I plan to rent a house. I want to see if I like living in Thailand.

This is what the op says: to see if he likes living in Thailand. He has also stated he would prefer not to do border runs.

As we who have taken the plunge know holidaying and living is two different things thats why I suggested the multi entry OA.

Almost 2 years without showing funds here (ideal if you want to see if you would like to live here) and no border runs. Only the 90 day reports to do so minimal contact with Immigration until he finds his feet and understands the system better..

The Non O would require border runs or if changed to an extension committing funds to Thailand.

Like the op when I came out here after years of holidaying here I wanted to see if I could live here, thats why I choose the OA allowing almost 2 years without financial commitment and border runs.

It really is an each to their own and what works for you, but the OA worked for me.

Edited by Tafia
  • Like 2

When I go to live in Thailand I plan to rent a house. I want to see if I like living in Thailand.

This is what the op says to see if he likes living in Thailand. He has also stated he would prefer not to do border runs.

As we who have taken the plunge know holidaying and living is two different things thats why I suggest the multi entry OA.

Almost 2 years without showing funds here (ideal if you want to see if you would like to live here) and no border runs. and minimal contact with Immigration until he finds his feet and understands the system better..each to their own but it worked for me.

I get the same feeling in this case. O-A might be better for the OP. Unless there is some reason why the O-A application is a big problem for the OP. (And I didn't use an O-A so clearly have no personal bias towards it.)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I made my post in a general contexts not based upon any country. For the UK it may be easy.

I recall a post from a member that had to pay a Doctor in the US about $300 for a physical in order to get the certificate signed. If you don't have a doctor that you regularly see it will increase the cost substantially.

For some countries getting the police certificate can be a long and problematic affair.

If you get a single entry non-o visa and get an extension you do not do border runs.

I appreciate the context of your comments. My comments referred to the UK as the op is from the UK.

I'm not sure what problem the OP is trying to solve at this point.

He says he already has a bank account in Thailand. He doesn't want to do visa runs.

Why not get single entry non-Imm O from Hull, allowing 90 days stay. When he arrives sort out place to stay. It need not be a very long term lease, just something to show immigration when he applies for extension in the last 30 days of this 90-day stay.

If he does the extension using a combination of bank deposit and proof of monthly income as he has said he can, then he does not have to commit large amounts of money to a Thai bank, if he does not wish to. Just make up most of the financial requirement by the monthly income proof.

Then he has a year to decide whether he likes it in Thailand, and does not have to do visa runs, just go every 90 days to immigration to do an address report, or mail it in.

He can leave Thailand whenever he likes during this year by simply buying a re-entry permit for 1900B.

Not complex and fulfils all his requirements. What's the problem?

Edited by partington

OK, since you asked, and I did mention this before on this thread but I wasn't certain, THIS might be a problem with showing a short term residence for 90 day reports and/or extensions.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/638314-retirement-new-rules-for-renting/?p=6384980

So went into Jomtein office today with all the documentation for my extension. Everything was in order except the receipt from the apartment here in Pattaya. It had their stamp plus rent and deposit paid which is all I've ever needed for previous renewals They didn't like it, said I had to show a contract. When I queried this they replied saying I have to show a 6 month rental contract.

Yes I do find it hard to believe they are actually being that rigid as an enforcement policy, and it certainly isn't fair, but at Thai immigration offices sometimes, stranger things have happened!

I really don't know. The OP asked about residence proof issues. I mentioned what I know.

Another issue is if the OP imports 800K to his Thai bank account and then decides a few months later living in Thailand isn't for him, then he has a problem REPATRIATING the funds. Not a problem with the O-A as presumably 800K wouldn't be imported.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

OK, I understand the possible proof of residence problem now - this isn't something that comes up in Bangkok, when I did my first extension I just wrote down my address!

I did mention that if the OP does the combination method of proving financial status (as he said he wanted to) he could get away with a very small bank deposit if most of the financial requirement was satisfied by proof of monthly income in the UK ( *but that was in a later edit though)

In any case I'm sure he has enough information now to make a pretty good decision one way or the other - hope he comes back to let us know what he decides.

Edited by partington

Hello all

I'm just about to go to bed after doing a 9 1/2 hour nightshift and I'm feeling very tired

I have time to decide which visa to apply for in the UK

At the moment I am tempted to go for a single entry O visa and after 60 days apply for a 1 year retirement extension at jomtien immigration

Anyway I'm off to bed now and thanks for the replies

If you really want an OA visa just apply to the Thai Embassy in London. You will have to show police clearance. a medical certificate and adequate finances.

Or you can follow the advise given here.

You cannot obtain an OA visa in Thailand

Yes for the OA you need get a medical form from the embassy and have it done in England. Police report also needed.

For retirement extensions in Thailand you don't need ANY kind of medical form from any country, and no police clearance form other.

You've been provided misinformation from Hull. It's not the first time nor the last. You've come to the right place to get that misinformation corrected.

If I were you I would learn about the pros and cons of starting with an O-A vs. not, so you can make an informed choice best suited to your particular situation.

In a month or two for the first time I will (try to) stay once for all in Thailand

So if I understand you well

1) I come with a 3 month tourist visa (nothing more)

2) once in Thailand I need a proof of my residence to be able to open a bank account in a Thai bank ( 3 month ago I was refused a bank account for lack of a valid proof of residence in my name sick.gif )

3) I transfer 800.000 Bahts

4) I go to immigration office (it will be in Samui) asking for retirement extension showing proof of residence and bank with 800.000 Bahts

Is that's all or do I miss something?

On the other hand since I will have to look for rent a house not sure I will be able to finish everything before the end of the 3 month ? I also understand the money has to be on my account for 2 month so I have less than a month to find a residence ( I supposed I can change afterwards without problem)

Anyhow thanks maak maak Jingthing and many of you, for without your dedication for helping it would not have been the same story for many of uswai.gif I am not an English speaker and the day I found TV by mere chance I won lotterybiggrin.png for not many questions find no answer

You require a non immigrant visa entry to extend - either obtain a single entry non immigrant O visa prior to travel (rather than tourist visa) or convert the tourist visa at 2,000 baht fee at immigration once money is in account and then extend for retirement when money has been in account the required 2 months. This will provide plenty of time as when you convert you get a 90 day entry from that date.