Surviving A Crash At 337.9 Km Per Hour And Up To 25 G

bealus

Strolling on the internet came across this news about a G.P. rider crashing at 337 km p/h and withstanding

G-Forces up to 25 G; still being alive thanks to modern safety jackets.

Just thought it might interest some bikers; what modern technology is capable of.

P.S. not have an interest whatsoever in the brand named in the articlewai.gif

Here's the link:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2013/marquez+crash+telemetry

I saw the accident & the telemetry as it was part of the Mugello practice this past weekend

He basically lost the front & then bailed off the bike to avoid hitting a wall. That in itself at over 200 mph

is pretty amazing.

But yes the new suits are good but not the main reason for his survival.

That would be luck :) He crashed 3 times this weekend before the race. Then during the race with none

around him he crashed out of 2nd place for no apparent reason

This guy is great but young & hopefully does not use up all his 9 lives too soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTMOxRp1vCM

From my experience last tues you do not really get to make a decision about what to do in most cases. I was wearing safety gear which kept my injuries down and didn't hit anything except the pavement. I guess if you have a lot of crashes you would be able to react differently but who wants to go thru that.

From my experience last tues you do not really get to make a decision about what to do in most cases. I was wearing safety gear which kept my injuries down and didn't hit anything except the pavement. I guess if you have a lot of crashes you would be able to react differently but who wants to go thru that.

Yes of course practice makes perfect :)

I can't tell if they are using a back board in this or not. Would hope so.

The Med workers are the best in the business at GP tracks so no problems I'm sure with care.

also the suit has a back brace in it that does not really allow the back to flex

Edited by mania

The Med workers are the best in the business at GP tracks so no problems I'm sure with care.

also the suit has a back brace in it that does not really allow the back to flex

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of the built in brace.

I saw the accident & the telemetry as it was part of the Mugello practice this past weekend

He basically lost the front & then bailed off the bike to avoid hitting a wall. That in itself at over 200 mph

is pretty amazing.

But yes the new suits are good but not the main reason for his survival.

That would be luck smile.png He crashed 3 times this weekend before the race. Then during the race with none

around him he crashed out of 2nd place for no apparent reason

This guy is great but young & hopefully does not use up all his 9 lives too soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTMOxRp1vCM

Thanks uploading this footage; gives a good impression of the almost insane speed. Saw some G.P. 's myself and it even increases

the adrenaline level from people who watch; let alone the driverssmile.png Yes at his age he'll better be careful with his 9 lives; was lucky myself

whilst driving a Hayabusa and consumed a few "cat-lives"; now not exactly being a spring-chicken am happy by cruising at lower speed

through this beautiful country nature-wise.

• Like 1

Thanks for that, wasn't aware of the built in brace.

From the days that security at G.P.'s was pretty limited to hay-bales and a helmet; it took quite a quantum-leap to airbag provided

safety-suits. Have no idea however about wearing-comfort, cost, weight and even availability for non-pro's. Anticipating for getting

more accident-prone related with age, maybe I should make some inquiries thoughblink.png

Totally agree. would not like to crash on Thai roads speeding 300 km p/h up(or any other road for that matter); good to hear your safety-gear kept you from seriously injured

Totally agree. would not like to crash on Thai roads speeding 300 km p/h up(or any other road for that matter); good to hear your safety-gear kept you from seriously injured

Mainly serious road rash

On the road it's really pure luck because if there's a tree / oncoming car / barrier there and you hit it, you're dead; if there is just pavement, you get up and no harm done. A race track at least has buffer zones.

That said on my two crashes in Thailand they were both my fault for going stupidly fast, too fast for the conditions / capabilities of the bike. On both occasions I could have possibly reacted a bit better but in hindsight it would have been magnitudes easier to avoid doing the stupid thing in the first place.

One time I got overconfident in my new tires in the rain "woohooo these really stick in the rain, f*** that rain"... until I hit that oil patch, lost the rear and high-sided when the oil patch ended and the tires showed their amazing grip on the wet road again... and that on the one road where I always warn people that there's sand, oil, pot holes, diesel soot all over the road.

Another time I found that the cornering abilities of the KLX on the road are really pretty amazing, and decided to really test the very limits of that... 5555

PS: Getting up from several 25Gs of impact is crazy. As amazing as the gear is, he was also pretty lucky.

• Like 2

@moe666 know what road rash feels and looks like myselfcrying.gif won't keep us from biking thoughthumbsup.gif be careful out there!!!

@nikster and that on the one road where I always warn people that there's sand, oil, pot holes, diesel soot all over the road.

Alas very true, especially when rain starts coming in after prolonged periods of drought, will not hit the road(with a bike) then.

Sometimes unavoidable while doing a trip, still have memories of a poor Thai chap in Phuket driving in rain, bones coming

out of the body after sliding. Step down on my speed; even when it looks funny to bystanders.

Googled a bit about g-forces for jet-pilots and astronauts and then you realize he IS a lucky guy surviving 25 G.

As said before curious to see what an advanced safety jacket like this would look like(and costw00t.gif ), if I google

something on this, will post it here

Googled a bit about g-forces for jet-pilots and astronauts and then you realize he IS a lucky guy surviving 25 G.

As said before curious to see what an advanced safety jacket like this would look like(and cost:w00t: ), if I google

Funny you mention that as G forces & flying always sticks in my mind.

Years ago I flew & as a private pilot felt mild G forces like 2 & know what that feels like.

Try to lift a arm to cover your forehead when it weighs twice as much smile.png

But yes 25G's is an insane amount

Fighter pilots need to endure 9 G's in a test maybe more theses days? Without losing consciousness

But........Something needs to be pointed out here.

That telemetry was done by Alpinestars suit sensors & they are playing it up a bit to show how

great their suits are.

But the truth is getting whacks or bump velocity that reach the number they did is not the same

as enduring those G's

Theirs are like shocks/bumps

Pilots etc are strapped in a chair that is enduring those G's for a period. Which is why they have the G suits that squeeze

their legs when it senses X amount of G's. To push that blood back up to their head so they dont pass out.

You know show pilots like the Blue angels cannot wear those suits?

Because when they pump up they will move the pilots hand & the angels are flying tight formations & it could

cause them to bump into each other. The suits expand & contract as needed many times during high G flights for normal fighter pilots.

The kind of high G Marc had was spot G's not prolonged.

Still awesome though to consider getting off at that speed.

I have come off bikes doing 80-100mph racing flat track & it is a weird sensation. You always think your able to stand

then suddenly your sucked again & again into tumbles because the truth is your not stopped at all even though your brain

thinks you are. In his telemetry chart you can see that. He banged then went again & again

Edited by mania

As said before curious to see what an advanced safety jacket like this would look like(and cost:w00t: ), if I google

Funny you mention that as G forces & flying always sticks in my mind.

Years ago I flew & as a private pilot felt mild G forces like 2 & know what that feels like.

Try to lift a arm to cover your forehead when it weighs twice as much smile.png

But yes 25G's is an insane amount

Fighter pilots need to endure 9 G's in a test maybe more theses days? Without losing consciousness

But........Something needs to be pointed out here.

That telemetry was done by Alpinestars suit sensors & they are playing it up a bit to show how

great their suits are.

But the truth is getting whacks or bump velocity that reach the number they did is not the same

as enduring those G's

Theirs are like shocks/bumps

Pilots etc are strapped in a chair that is enduring those G's for a period. Which is why they have the G suits that squeeze

their legs when it senses X amount of G's. To push that blood back up to their head so they dont pass out.

You know show pilots like the Blue angels cannot wear those suits?

Because when they pump up they will move the pilots hand & the angels are flying tight formations & it could

cause them to bump into each other. The suits expand & contract as needed many times during high G flights for normal fighter pilots.

The kind of high G Marc had was spot G's not prolonged.

Still awesome though to consider getting off at that speed.

I have come off bikes doing 80-100mph racing flat track & it is a weird sensation. You always think your able to stand

then suddenly your sucked again & again into tumbles because the truth is your not stopped at all even though your brain

thinks you are. In his telemetry chart you can see that. He banged then went again & again

Interesting stuff Mania. If you think of it it becomes quite logical; prolonged exposure to G forces versus "shocks&bumps". As you made the difference quite clear between aviation and biking, as bikers we'll go for improved "bump-technology".

I DID get off my bike too at a speed of 80, kilometer p/h that is, so you still beat me there. No intention to win first price thoughsmile.png