Trip Report, Slow Boat To Luang Prabang, Laos.

theblether

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luang Prabang, I went to the Phasith Guest house, the Tuk Tuk to the GH was 30,000 kip........here's a look at LP.

600946_546670382037955_1846913373_n.jpg

It's a world heritage site with a French Colonial influence......

972215_546670558704604_8530810_n.jpg

482571_546671715371155_1107128146_n.jpg

984223_546671945371132_1121852829_n.jpg

Plenty of decent affordable little restaurants, and a good craft market every night. All the prices seem to be negotiable.

I paid 400 baht a night for an AC / ensuite room with a private patio. Excellent value.

What you don't get is the same level of cheap street food and cafe's you have in Thailand, but they can be found. Prices I found to be very affordable.

Have to say theblether ... an excellent report ... wai.gif

It does tempt the reader to replicate the journey in part or in whole.

Those waterfalls were picture perfect.

For you, what was the highlights/s of the trip?

Was it mostly Westerns travelling on the Journey parts?

• Like 2

I done this trip, but from Chiang Mai a couple of years back. The mountain drive up was amazing, however I detested the boat journey, just a personal thing, felt to long, mostly because of some of the tourists on board that were complete idiots. Went to a pub in Luang Probang, and was told 'Laos people only, you go to bowling hall' - spent just over 12 hours there and got a bus to Vientiane, where I finally enjoyed myself! I wouldn't say dont do the slow boat, but be well prepared for the long journey

Sent from my LT26i using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I've never done this route before, but did the overland route up that way. Ended up in China for 3 months. The slow boat sounds great. Those speed boats are just too painful!

The bus up to LP was an interesting ride.

post-5869-0-40123100-1370567884_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-83633000-1370567913_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-10075700-1370567931_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-94186400-1370567943_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Nice trip report and excellent pics Mr.Blether. You did well on the prices for transportation too.

25,000 kip for a beerlao on the boat?..... w00t.gif.......

I know.....got to say I like beerLao, it's a lovely beer. I had no intention of drinking on the boat anyway, it was just a wee tip for anyone else, to take up the offer from the guy in the restaurant and buy some from him to take on the boat.

I did have a few large beers in LP, 12,000 kip, which I think is great for a large decent beer. drunk.gif

I should point out that Laos is not Thailand, don't expect late night drinking and don't expect bars full of ladies milling around declaring how hansum you are. I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere in LP, even the excellent night market was sedate and friendly compared to the gauntlet we have to run in some Thai farang oriented markets.

Big plus from me.

• Like 2

@craig,

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing. I've never done this route before, but did the overland route up that way. Ended up in China for 3 months. The slow boat sounds great. Those speed boats are just too painful!

The bus up to LP was an interesting ride.

I heard from a guy that did the speed boat that he got drowned several times by the waves and he reckoned he would need a week to recover from the bumps from being thrown around.

Slow sounds good to me biggrin.png

Great report. I visited Luang Prabang about ten years ago & hired an elderly Lao man (lovely friendly guy) to take us on a day trip down the river. Wife speaks Lao & he told us a fasinating story. He had worked for the Americans in Laos and when they withdrew had to hide out in jungle camps for 20 years until an amnesty was announced. During those 20 years four of his children died of disease. Also came across an elderly white foreigner wearing the Pathet Lao uniform, did not have the chance to speak with him, but some locals told me he was Australian.

Don't know if they still have them, but some wonderful shops for buying fabrics such as wall hanging, still have them mounted in our house.

• Like 1

Great report. I visited Luang Prabang about ten years ago & hired an elderly Lao man (lovely friendly guy) to take us on a day trip down the river. Wife speaks Lao & he told us a fasinating story. He had worked for the Americans in Laos and when they withdrew had to hide out in jungle camps for 20 years until an amnesty was announced. During those 20 years four of his children died of disease. Also came across an elderly white foreigner wearing the Pathet Lao uniform, did not have the chance to speak with him, but some locals told me he was Australian.

Don't know if they still have them, but some wonderful shops for buying fabrics such as wall hanging, still have them mounted in our house.

Yup, still there......I happened across this lady in the whisky village.........

970112_546666382038355_566753892_n.jpg

I could quite easily ( given the time ) sat there and watched the article through to completion, and then bought it. Maybe next time......in the meantime here's some of the finished fabrics......

375756_546666538705006_276340774_n.jpg

• Like 2

I must admit, even though your photos are Tourist snapshots ... they are images which speak to me.

You've done well to capture the essence of the journey ... well done ... thumbsup.gif

Essence is the key word, I hope it's given members a taste of what's on their doorstep and encouraged some to try a new experience.

Great trip report, Blether thumbsup.gif

I did this trip about 16 years ago, and I can see (and read) that not much has changed (which is great in my book!!!) The picture from your stop in Pak Beng triggered many good memories. It was a most memorable trip, I do recall my hatred for all the speedboats; slow boat is THE way to do it. I had great fellow travelers on my boat, very very good trip!

.....and now I think I have to do it again!!! smile.png I can not wait to make my plans wink.png

• Like 1