Thailand's D S I Probes Luxury Car Scam

webfact

I don't understand why they put the LPG in the car to save 124,162 TBH in tax? Surely if you have enough money to pay for these cars (which are worth millions and millions of baht) you can afford a small amount (relative) to keep it running at optimum levels?

Not so much to save money...if it 'runs' on LPG it doesn't have to be tested...it never ran on LPG and never would. It was the cost of the test that was BHT124k

Tested for?

Emissions testing

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't understand why they put the LPG in the car to save 124,162 TBH in tax? Surely if you have enough money to pay for these cars (which are worth millions and millions of baht) you can afford a small amount (relative) to keep it running at optimum levels?

Not so much to save money...if it 'runs' on LPG it doesn't have to be tested...it never ran on LPG and never would. It was the cost of the test that was BHT124k

Tested for?
Emissions testing

Just that to save 125k on a 20mn baht car. Not worth the risk surely.

Tested for?

Emissions testing

AFAIK all cars having had an LPG or CNG conversion are required to report it to the land transportation Office.

It is duly noted in the Tabian (Blue/Green book) when it comes time to renew the mandatory insurance (mandatory only to those who understand the word) the insuring office usually checks the serial number of the car to the book and tests for leaks.

However this being where it is,Thailand, a good %age of the time it is probably omitted or bypassed.

If this is wrong info please correct me.

Local business tycoon Sombat Thatpaiboon was starting to regret buying an "under the counter" Lamborghini to save a few baht..........

pb-120831-lambo-da-03.photoblog900.jpg

What wheels are those?

Looks like something knocked up using scrap metal and discarded alloy wheels. Pretty ugly, but I expect the driver is thrilled to bits.

Local business tycoon Sombat Thatpaiboon was starting to regret buying an "under the counter" Lamborghini to save a few baht..........

What wheels are those?
Looks like something knocked up using scrap metal and discarded alloy wheels. Pretty ugly, but I expect the driver is thrilled to bits.

Discovery channel Chop Shop.

I am curious about the 'mandatory exhaust fume inspection' quoted at B124,162. Anyone know more about this?

My observations in Thailand have led me to believe there is very little awareness of vehicle emissions and certainly no such thing as mandatory testing or regulation. Just take a look at what spews from the exhausts of the older buses trawling the roads of Bangkok.

Furthermore I thought that exhaust testing simply meant sticking a probe up the exhaust pipe and reading the data off the machine. The small town petrol station/garage where i grew up had such a machine, so they can't be horrendously expensive. Yet the test here is quoted at nearly B125,000.

What wheels are those?

The latest trend in Alloy wheel design, previewed at the Geneva Motor Show. BBS and a few others are hoping the Retro, dirty look will become really popular.