Thailand's D S I Probes Luxury Car Scam

webfact

Just do the maths on what type of earnings anyone would have to generate in Thailand if one was to pay all the requisite taxes in order to save 35mn baht.

At 1mn a month earning (of which I think the tax records shows there are only a handful of people in the country earning this type of money), which would be say taxed at 40+ percent, one would have to work and not spend a penny for a very long time to save the requisite money. So it goes without saying of course, there are companies paying dividends to owners etc which can earn people a lot of money, but it is patently clear to me that by taxing these things at such high rates, it is quite an effective way of recouping undeclared income from high earners.

They get their status symbol, the government gets a huge whack of tax. Of course, however, when the sums for the tax are so enormous in percentage terms, people will and always have cheated to get these cars into the country. The rather sad thing is, that the value of one of these cars would probably fund an excellent education for the children of the owners. Shows rather odd prioroties to me.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what about the importing of second hand cars and parts

was not allowed any more in Thailand , i remember a news story about a year ago here on TV.

Ask customs? I am sure they will tell you it is not allowed.......

They really are the most corrupt bunch of all

The son of the minister of labour, in a government voted in by the poorest in the country, drives a Lamborghini. Not only do they steal from people, but are not shy to rubb it in their faces!w00t.gif

Why? Because they were breastfed with: "We are above the law". And sadly, the way the system works, they are right.

And it is only going to change, when ordinary Thai people wake up, and say enough is enough!

Which ofcourse is never going to happen, because there is no real alternative, no matter the colour of their shirts!

Presumably the DSI, as a professional investigative agency, will look at the politicans son/nephew's car to make sure it was imported correctly with all duties and tarrifs duly paid and receipted. Then for complete thoroughness they will check to see how he or his family acuired the large amount of money needed to buy and import such an expensive car.

Look forward to the next update from the crusading DSI boss.

I thought Thailand put a ban on importing cars and parts ?

I doubt that as they would lose out on the tax from cars like MW, Mercedes ect. They did change the rules to stop the offspring of the rich studying abroad buying luxury cars whilst there and then shipping them in second hand to avoid tax as far as I know.

Errr it was a thread on here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548685-thai-cabinet-approves-ban-on-imports-of-used-vehicles/

Reading it though there is no mention of sports cars, how convenient !!

"Sports" cars would be covered by the sedan section.

Shame on theese people, super rich but they still want more, in this case cheeting the government out of rightful tax money. They seem to forget that the government is in fact the people so they steal from the people. And how many times do we hear, the person investigated is moved to an inactive position, after a few months the case is forgotten, a small guy in the scam get a slap on the hands and life goes on. After all the commites put together to look into corruption the last 30 yrs, nothing has come of it, absolutly nothing. To day the corruption is worse than ever. Whatever happend to that government guy moved to an inactive position in the government office. Under a break in in his house, the thiefs found so much money in his house that they couldnt carry it out to the car. He could not explain where all the millions came from. Probably still working inactive position in government offices. How can the thais ever hope to get rid of graft when the system is working like this.

You are right with your story BUT the majority of Thais support corruption (as long as they can share a bit).

Why should we foreigners care if Thais don't care? The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

And the poor (with a bit of propaganda from the party they "support") are even willing to fight for (die) for their party.

Let go!

I for one care because I live here and have made it my home . . . what affects the Thai's affects me also.

+ 1

I'm married to a nice Thai women, we still love each other after 11 years. Generalizations don't really work all around the world.

Would anybody blame all Americans, if there was one who robbed a bank?--wai2.gif

Shame on theese people, super rich but they still want more, in this case cheeting the government out of rightful tax money. They seem to forget that the government is in fact the people so they steal from the people. And how many times do we hear, the person investigated is moved to an inactive position, after a few months the case is forgotten, a small guy in the scam get a slap on the hands and life goes on. After all the commites put together to look into corruption the last 30 yrs, nothing has come of it, absolutly nothing. To day the corruption is worse than ever. Whatever happend to that government guy moved to an inactive position in the government office. Under a break in in his house, the thiefs found so much money in his house that they couldnt carry it out to the car. He could not explain where all the millions came from. Probably still working inactive position in government offices. How can the thais ever hope to get rid of graft when the system is working like this.

You are right with your story BUT the majority of Thais support corruption (as long as they can share a bit).

Why should we foreigners care if Thais don't care? The rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

And the poor (with a bit of propaganda from the party they "support") are even willing to fight for (die) for their party.

Let go!

I for one care because I live here and have made it my home . . . what affects the Thai's affects me also.

+ 1

I'm married to a nice Thai women, we still love each other after 11 years. Generalizations don't really work all around the world.

Would anybody blame all Americans, if there was one who robbed a bank?--wai2.gif

Yes, most here on TV . . . thumbsup.gif

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.

Just do the maths on what type of earnings anyone would have to generate in Thailand if one was to pay all the requisite taxes in order to save 35mn baht.

At 1mn a month earning (of which I think the tax records shows there are only a handful of people in the country earning this type of money), which would be say taxed at 40+ percent, one would have to work and not spend a penny for a very long time to save the requisite money. So it goes without saying of course, there are companies paying dividends to owners etc which can earn people a lot of money, but it is patently clear to me that by taxing these things at such high rates, it is quite an effective way of recouping undeclared income from high earners.

They get their status symbol, the government gets a huge whack of tax. Of course, however, when the sums for the tax are so enormous in percentage terms, people will and always have cheated to get these cars into the country. The rather sad thing is, that the value of one of these cars would probably fund an excellent education for the children of the owners. Shows rather odd prioroties to me.

You really think most individuals pay, say, 20/30m baht in cash from their savings? Sure, some do, but the vast majority are probably moving up the ladder from a less expensive car which is either traded-in or the cash from it's sale contributes to the purchase.

There is also a thing called "finance", even for upmarket vehicles, which ensures individuals don't have to find the full amount from their own resources.

Then many of these cars are bought by companies, not individuals

You really think most individuals pay, say, 20/30m baht in cash from their savings? Sure, some do, but the vast majority are probably moving up the ladder from a less expensive car which is either traded-in or the cash from it's sale contributes to the purchase.

There is also a thing called "finance", even for upmarket vehicles, which ensures individuals don't have to find the full amount from their own resources.

Then many of these cars are bought by companies, not individuals

Undoubtedly true, but I stand by my view, that this entire grey imported car business, is a huge money washing scheme in the most part.

Presumably the DSI, as a professional investigative agency, will look at the politicans son/nephew's car to make sure it was imported correctly with all duties and tarrifs duly paid and receipted. Then for complete thoroughness they will check to see how he or his family acuired the large amount of money needed to buy and import such an expensive car.

Said father Phadermchai Sasomsub is a former Deputy Minister of Transport and current Minister of Labor. He also happens to own Chevrolet and Nissan car dealerships as well as a grey car import business (WOW. Who would have thought that! )

Another member of the family Chaiya is a former Mp who was forced to resign because of asset concealment.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

• Like 1

Believe that the only parts covered in that law were used body panels, but the whole thing was totally mis-quoted in the press and on Thai visa.

Bodyshells, front & rear cuts

Said father Phadermchai Sasomsub is a former Deputy Minister of Transport and current Minister of Labor. He also happens to own Chevrolet and Nissan car dealerships as well as a grey car import business (WOW. Who would have thought that! )

Another member of the family Chaiya is a former Mp who was forced to resign because of asset concealment.

Surely not a grey car importer. You don't say.....

Tarit says "evidence does not lead to any specific politican". There might be some who will disagree with that statement as being wishful thinking on Sherlocks part.

With 5800+_ suspiciously imported luxury vehicles known already, there are probably more out there to be found, they should be able to find a politician involved somehow. Is it possible the fickle fingner may point to the band of ruling politicans/thugs?

Maybe he meant they are all at it, not just one specific one?

Surely not a grey car importer.  You don't say.....

Yup... strange world innit :D

Let go!

+ 1

No; but they might if every civil servant was at it?

• Like 1

Let go!

+ 1

I am so happy for you that you are happy with your nice Thai lady.wub.png

Anyhow..

In my post I am not blaming anybody. I am not generalizing neither. I am just saying that maybe we should stop judging how bad corruption is in Thailand if most of the Thais can live with it. It seems that we care more than most of them.

Maybe it's part of the culture? Who knows..

I am so happy for you that you are happy with your nice Thai lady.wub.png

Anyhow..

In my post I am not blaming anybody. I am not generalizing neither. I am just saying that maybe we should stop judging how bad corruption is in Thailand if most of the Thais can live with it. It seems that we care more than most of them.

Maybe it's part of the culture? Who knows..

90% of the Thai's I know, don't like the corruption here, they just don't see how they are able to stop it for the most part.

And yes, it is pretty much an accepted part of the culture, but it still doesn't make it right.

Edited by metisdead
30) Do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes, added emoticons, or altered wording.
  • Like 1

You're right.

There are 2 honest choices. You can support the country by buying an imported vehicle and paying the tax or support the workforce in the Thai factories and pay less tax. These people don't want to support anyone but themselves it seems.

You're right.

There are 2 honest choices. You can support the country by buying an imported vehicle and paying the tax or support the workforce in the Thai factories and pay less tax. These people don't want to support anyone but themselves it seems.

Sadly for the vast majority of honest, hard working people it's usually the richest who are the greediest and the most dishonest and for whom enough money is never enough.

How many Thais go into politics to help the country and how many just to help themselves?

• Like 2

I doubt that as they would lose out on the tax from cars like MW, Mercedes ect. They did change the rules to stop the offspring of the rich studying abroad buying luxury cars whilst there and then shipping them in second hand to avoid tax as far as I know.

Errr it was a thread on here.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/548685-thai-cabinet-approves-ban-on-imports-of-used-vehicles/

Reading it though there is no mention of sports cars, how convenient !!

Thanks for that. It wasn't the thread I saw but I can't find that one

I don't understand why they put the LPG in the car to save 124,162 TBH in tax? Surely if you have enough money to pay for these cars (which are worth millions and millions of baht) you can afford a small amount (relative) to keep it running at optimum levels?

I don't understand why they put the LPG in the car to save 124,162 TBH in tax? Surely if you have enough money to pay for these cars (which are worth millions and millions of baht) you can afford a small amount (relative) to keep it running at optimum levels?

Not so much to save money...if it 'runs' on LPG it doesn't have to be tested...it never ran on LPG and never would. It was the cost of the test that was BHT124k

Edited by Neilly

Not so much to save money...if it 'runs' on LPG it doesn't have to be tested...it never ran on LPG and never would. It was the cost of the test that was BHT124k

Tested for?