Auto / Car Insurance In Chiang Mai

vagabond48

For the 1st time in Thailand, I am buying a (used) car and I am looking for 1st class insurance from a reputable insurance company or broker.

The owner of the car was using AXA.

Assuming the coverage would be the same, which insurance company will give me the best annual rate?

Which broker representing an insurance company would have the least commission?

Is it best to contact the insurance company directly to get a better deal rather than a broker? I know AXA has an office here.

Decent English would be required.

The car is for my non-Thai wife and I was wondering if the annual cost is different for a younger person versus an older geezer.

If I get named drivers coverage, would the car have the same protection, if it was stolen and had been damaged by the thief. This is Thailand so you never know about the logic here.

Thanks

The cost is not different for different age drivers because in Thailand, the car is insured; not the driver.

AA Insurance at Meechok Plaza as recommended above is good. They speak English. We got quotes from numerous sources for auto insurance including through the g/f's brother who is an Officer in the government and has access to many discounts. All quotes were within about 200 Baht of each other. Compulsory insurance is the same price everywhere.

I bought and paid for a policy about 18 months ago from AA (when Gary was there). Was told it was immediate cover. A month later I chased them up wanting my documents for it, and even though claimed otherwise, the documents I got started on the day I chased it - i.e. I had driven for a month or so uninsured....

Anyway, I know Gary left the company shortly after the above, but thought it only safe to warn of my experience, as I never did get a satisfactory explanation for putting me at risk for a month!

Having said that - I know they come highly reccomended by many, so maybe it was just a bad experience, but certainly make sure you have adequate paperwork from them once you have your insurance, to make sure you are indeed covered from the time you want to be covered!

I bought and paid for a policy about 18 months ago from AA (when Gary was there). Was told it was immediate cover. A month later I chased them up wanting my documents for it, and even though claimed otherwise, the documents I got started on the day I chased it - i.e. I had driven for a month or so uninsured....

Anyway, I know Gary left the company shortly after the above, but thought it only safe to warn of my experience, as I never did get a satisfactory explanation for putting me at risk for a month!

Having said that - I know they come highly reccomended by many, so maybe it was just a bad experience, but certainly make sure you have adequate paperwork from them once you have your insurance, to make sure you are indeed covered from the time you want to be covered!

Same thing happened to me mallmagician - exactly. Was driving uninsured for a month or 5 weeks. Gary then lied to me and said the company had made a mistake and if I had been in an accident, they would have been liable. What I was told later on was that Gary had pocketed the money (police documents on display at the office with his photo - possibly mugshot) and never took out the policy. They told me that in fact had I been in an accident that I would have been screwed. They said he did a lot of unethical stuff and then skipped out before his court date. Thank god he is gone. Nasty dude!

Now the place is back to normal. There is a nice lady there who speaks very good English. But I prefer dealing with Peter at the Chonburi office as he is the boss and has been for 5-6 years that I know of. I deal with him and then go to C.M. office to pick up the documents. Many people do it that way.

Edited by elektrified

For a good car-Insurance use the AIG Insurance company (Thailand) their main office is in BKK but have offices also in other places, including C.M

They provide a good service in case of accidents repairs, and they offer a good premium discount if the applicant can prove to have had no accidents for several years.

I steered clear of AA Insurance at Mee Chok thinking that, as being western managed targeting western customers, their prices would no doubt be much higher.

Stepped in one day just to find out how much more they were. Signed up there and then. Prices the same as quoted elsewhere, service with a smile. Recommended.

Nothing amiss with AA's prices but for me the service was poor and the same from every luckless manager they had in the office. Consistently failed to remind me when my car policy was due for renewal which must be bad for sales as well as for the motorist who may end up without cover - OK, I know I should be on top of that but I hold the old fashioned view that brokers should actually offer a service to the client and not simply hand out brochures and collect premiums.

I use Tidtarin Insurance, 67/3 Sripoom Rd - just past the video rental shop on the inside of the moat between Riders' Corner and the swimming pool shop. Khun Ake speaks perfect English and is helpful and, so far at least, competitive on prices. The numbers I have from his email are: 053 357949, 053 418181, 081 8815480, 081 9605254.

I want to a broker and he offered a number of the companies he offered.

The most reasonable one was Deves. Their cost for 1st class insurance with no deductible was 15K for my 2009 Honda Civic valued at 550K.

Anyone have any experience with this company?

I know they are the company that also offers the mandatory insurance.

As I mentioned earlier this is my 1st time dealing with owning a car.

i think most insurance coy also provide the mandatory insurance.

i just renewed my from bangkok aioi, just a little more than viriyah. one of my mate and few members here seems to have pleasant and hassle free experience with them in an event of accident, which is really the deciding factor for me

if you been to the tax office, there is a small viriyah booth which you could check out. the bkk aioi is at mahidol road

I have always insured with AA, good service and reply immediately to my emails thumbsup.gif , well, they have heard of Transam w00t.gif ...............................laugh.png

PS. Use the Pattaya office via email, or is it Phuket, hmmm, think Pattaya.smile.png

Edited by transam

Yes Viriyah insurance is very good, been with them for years, and they have branches all over Thailand,

one thing I cannot understand why do you need 2 insurances,1 from Government and another from your

insurance company, my understanding is you cannot insure anything twice,if you insure with private company

you still have to take and pay for the Government one also.

regards Worgeordie

Yes Viriyah insurance is very good, been with them for years, and they have branches all over Thailand,

one thing I cannot understand why do you need 2 insurances,1 from Government and another from your

insurance company, my understanding is you cannot insure anything twice,if you insure with private company

you still have to take and pay for the Government one also.

regards Worgeordie

The Guv one is mandatory, yes daft cos zillions don't even have that.

A broker under Thai law can not BIND coverage on any risk. I have been in the insurance business all my business life, I have been th General Mangager of Two Insurance Companies an Insusrance broker, that spriel that all those people who think they know what they are are talking about is suffering.

MJ SANSAI
CPCU
FCII