Thai Education

muythai2013

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand is on the move. Gigantic Infra-Structure projects, impressive economic growth-rate. Money and credit

abundant.

But the educational system is lagging behind and does not reflect a fast changing (Thai)-World.

My Thai-Doctor, (studied in the US) claims, that the shortfalls of the educational-system are well known, but the ruling-elite of Thailand is not interested, in elevating the masses of this country to a level of analytical, critical thinking as we know it in the West.

In short: "Keep them stupid and ignorant". This according to my (western-educated) doctor.

Cheers.

• Like 2

Total bullxxxx. Australian literacy rate is 98% (source UNESCO http://www.unesco.org/uil/litbase/?menu=9&programme=133). Thailand is 94% (source UNESCO http://www.unesco.org/uil/litbase/?menu=9&programme=98).

Literacy can be high but the country's productivity and level of innovation can still be low. A country with a good education system creates critical thinkers rather than textbook regurgitate-rs. Students in Thailand are in a culture where challenging the teacher and asking questions is frowned upon and the students simply take in everything they hear. If Thailand's education system isn't bad then why is Thailand no where near the level of Singapore or Japan? Neither country has any resources and their extremely well educated workforce is their prime resource and they make use if it very well.

Couldn't have said it better. I mean about the Thai Education System. Australia is suffering from 'brains drain' while Thailand needs to import 'brains'. But don't say this aloud - they might 'lose the face'. biggrin.png

Thais know it for long time, man. Where have you been?

Edited by Nuna

It is quite ironic that the children of the ministers and the MPs who push the public school system as sufficient, put their own kids into private schools. If they are so confident in their school system, they should go the way of Finland and nationalize all schools and give everyone an equal opportunity to tertiary education.

But to be fair, if the Thais had a great education system, I think most of us here would be out of a job ! biggrin.png

Edited by anantha92

It is quite ironic that the children of the ministers and the MPs who push the public school system as sufficient, put their own kids into private schools. If they are so confident in their school system, they should go the way of Finland and nationalize all schools and give everyone an equal opportunity to tertiary education.

But to be fair, if the Thais had a great education system, I think most of us here would be out of a job ! biggrin.png

or most jobs would be forbidden by Thai government to farangs

The average Joe six pack in 'straya' is as thick as pig pooh. I went back there to study for three years with my wife and son after living here for near to a decade. YES there are some educated Aussies, some that think outside the box but most of the young Uni students I spoke to while there are now products of an 'Americanized' version of education....put people into little groups and make them specialize in that one thing only..don't think outside the box, general knowledge, the humanities are useless as they don't generate enough 'profit'. I had some of the most banal conversations of my life talking with a lot of these so called 'educated' westerners. They just wanted to study there specialization, get out and get the highest salary possible to buy 'stuff' with. All too few of them had any real views or ideas in how the country was being run, it just didn't cross their minds. They really couldn't see that they had any real power, everything was being decided for them by people who 'knew about stuff'. Its pathetic really. The country is being run by thought police controlled by unaccountable corporations, with corrupt governments sucking on their privates and the media is owned by all of the above. What use is the education system when it only churns out drones?

I am happy to be in Thailand with my wife and son. I am not sending him to an international school. I am sending him to a good private school. I am teaching here, my wife is also a teacher. I am taking charge of his education. I am taking charge of showing him the world, how it really works without the skewed perspectives sponsored by Pepsi or the military industrial complex infecting his brain with the lust for material possessions at any cost. YES there are many drones here to but I will make sure as a father that my boy, being fully Bilingual can take advantage of really understanding the world from both perspectives. Luek krueng kids that are smart, speak English fluently can have a good future here, especially with ASEAN around the corner. I would rather my kid be in that boat than be some average Aussie bogan that lives for a house in the boring suburbs, lives for the next game of footy to watch with his bogan mates and thinks that culture is something you get when you make yoghurt.

Was that a rant, hell yes!

A well argumented point of view. Wouldn't call it a rant. If it was, I must say a very eloquent and passionately presented one. thumbsup.gif

Edited by ABCer