Best Thai Sim ?

OK

This must be the most asked question in this sub-forum but I couldn't find the info I needed. If a mod reads this, maybe pin this subject and allow people to constantly update? It has to be useful to others just arriving in Thailand...

So, there is DTAC, AIS and True, correct?

I have finally (after 6 weeks of back and forth STUPIDITY with VODAFONE in the UK, finally received my unlock code for my old iPhone 3GS!

I need unlimited text, a fair amount of minutes (say 500) and I would unlimited data roaming as it seems to be so essential in Thailand (I barely used it in the UK but whatever)

Do I simply walk into a 7/11 and buy a SIM?

Do I need to go to a DTAC stoore and sign a contract?

Please tell me everything I need to do.

Thanks guys...

Pre-paid/Post-paid, location, duration of stay, phone make and model, mobile data, budget are all variables.

There are no unlimited text plans. 500 minutes would require a post-paid plan.

Maybe best to buy a few SIMs, TrueMove H, AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy - these cost 50 baht each, then experiment with each on a pre-paid basis, get a feel for your usage and requirements, then maybe go with a single provider, either on pre-paid or post-paid basis.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/425412-smartphone-service-plans/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573846-what-works-where-2g-3g-coverage-maps-thailand/

Thanks, so just pop down to a 7/11 and grab one?

Is DTAC the best? I've heard they send you all kinds of BS text mesages and have the audacity to charge for them!

And if I buy a SIM, that is then my mobile number so it's best to choose wisely upfront right?

Me, iPhone 3GS, Bangkok, 1 year. I'd rather prepay (like a contract so I don't keep having to top up when I suddenly run out of credit)

Thanks.

To be on post-paid you will need a work permit, if the rules have it changed. Per-paid is a bit easier. All providers are almost the same within popular areas. If you plan to go to a lot of rural areas you should seriously consider AIS as thy have the best network.

All three offer an unlimited data plan, which cost between THB300-1500. Depending on how much data you want. There are no SMS packages. Regarding talk package. They are offered but you should calculate carefully. Sometimes it is better and cheaper to just pay as you talk. The rates are starting from THB 1 onwards. Depends on carrier and SIM card. I

There is no package for international calls but all carriers provide a prefix to make cheaper VoIP calls.

To have the plans setup it is best to go o the service centers directly. All of them have a booth at the BKK Airport.

I'v heard buying from the airport is the most expensive way to get a SIM?

I just went to DTAC shop in Gateway, Ekkamai.

I left without a SIM, utterly confused.

The guy spoke a little Engrish but I am really none the wiser.

From what I could make out, there were 2 good options:

The Kong Krapan SIM - 49 baht cost for SIM. Top up pre-pay card. You get 1,000 hours refil every time (42 days) - then you top by how much you want at 7/11 or an ATM. But is that paying for data by use or by time, I dunno...

The other was a Samkok SIM - also 49 baht for the SIM then top-up. I have no idea what that card was about except that you top up every 30 days or something.

Maybe AIS will be more straight forward.

Jeez.

Airport is the same price but they do not offer that many different options. You should get an Internet sim for smartphones. I would recommend AIS or True as they have the better coverage or price option. Both offer an Internet sim. Usually the top up value will expire after 30 days for all cards if you do not top up. If the validity is important than you would need to go to DTAC. As per my knowledge they are the only once which offer a validity of up to 365 days.

Regarding the other two options you mention. They are both ok and you are ale to add the Internet package to both of them. For top up you can go to any 7-11, Tesco, Tops, etc. as the top up cards are readily available almost everywhere.

Hope that helps

Thanks.

Well, I can't get the AIS website to work in English (the EN button does nothing) so not being able to read Thai yet, I will just go with DTAC (although you are the 3rd person to say go with AIS over DTAC)

I have to go to Siam today to get internet sorted for my condo - maybe the reps there will speak better English and I can ask them at DTAC and AIS and then choose.

Thanks.

You may be over-thinking what should be a relatively simple process. Buy a SIM for 49 baht, add value to it, subscribe to a monthly recurring data plan, done. Occasionally check your balance, maybe add value via a 7/11 or ATM, use some apps. to monitor your calling, text and data patterns, then after a few months transition to post-paid, assuming your application requirements are suited for a particularly plan. Is there some reason you are not considering TrueMove H?

With just about any SIM , one can layer on any mobile data plan, calling/text 'buffet' and change calling promotions.

• Like 1