Scb Bank Health Insurance

MisterMan

HI am leaving my job and need to insure myself now.

Friend's of mine have signed up using a health insurace from SCB and the price is very low. They are 50+ and the coverage is 250K for about 14k. This is just a rough summary.

has anyone else used it? Sucessfully?

^ Thanks, I didn't know that, but I find 250K THB coverage not a lot, if for example you break a leg that will already set you back 100K THB+++, so what will happen if you have a heart attack (with a couple of days on Intensive Care ??) etc etc.

Unless you have some money (of your own) to rely on, I would look for an insurance with a coverage lets say up to 2-3 Million THB. But this will be (of course more expensive)

If you have the government social security at your job, the kind where you pay ฿750 and the company pays ฿750, you can continue this by paying the whole ฿1,500 your self. Check with the social security office in your area. If you use public hospitals, ฿250,000 is probably adequate.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

If you have the government social security at your job, the kind where you pay ฿750 and the company pays ฿750, you can continue this by paying the whole ฿1,500 your self. Check with the social security office in your area. If you use public hospitals, ฿250,000 is probably adequate.

Best advice on this thread so far. Maintain however you can your social security coverage, it will be the best investment you'll make health insurance wise in Thailand, as you'll continue your existing public hospital cover for 432 baht per month. Pretty sure you can set up a direct debit via the SS office, and then forget about it.

As for the SCB health insurance you mention, I'm not sure you getting good deal on that. I'd check out the local version of Bupa and Thai health if I was you.

The premium your friend is quoting is very low and that is because the benefits are very low.

There is nothing special with these premiums and in fact are a few hundred Baht more expensive compared to other plans.

However if he needs to claim and a problem arises then who will he talk to – the staff at the bank ?

Our advice is to always use a (reputable) Broker – the premiums are the same but offer services you will not get from a Bank or by going direct

Bottom line, this is certainly no bargain and you get what you pay for.

Edited by AAInsuranceBrokers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When you do the math all the insurance policies offered by the banks are a bad deal.

IMHO they try to make the packages intentional confusing so that regular folks cannot commute the actual value of their package. (ie pay 4000 for first month, then pay 4529 the second, then you get 500 baht back, then you get a 50% half again bonus recycled into the health coverage...blah blah blah...)

Then they put some ridiculously percent on the pamphlet like "15%", a few great looking increasing bar charts and a guy holding wads of cash.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Best advice on this thread so far. Maintain however you can your social security coverage, it will be the best investment you'll make health insurance wise in Thailand, as you'll continue your existing public hospital cover for 432 baht per month. Pretty sure you can set up a direct debit via the SS office, and then forget about it.

As for the SCB health insurance you mention, I'm not sure you getting good deal on that. I'd check out the local version of Bupa and Thai health if I was you.

I do have the gov't plan through my school. I also maintain a health insurance through Ajarn.com/Thai Health. i wonder if the additional private insurance is overkill and not needed (max. coverage of 400,000B per claim)?

It's always an overkill(?) until you come to use it then you wish you had spent more on a better plan

I consider it "overkill" if the private insurance simply duplicates or insures less than the social security plan. That was actually my question.

Yeah, what he said....

You have up to 6 months from time you leave your job to start paying on your own.

If you plan on staying in Thailand long term, their is nothing I would recommend more

Just read all the posts from people on this forum trying to renew insurance policies for ridiculous amounts

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

It's always an overkill(?) until you come to use it then you wish you had spent more on a better plan

I consider it "overkill" if the private insurance simply duplicates or insures less than the social security plan. That was actually my question.

Your private insurance is a health insurance, so will pay for hospital expenses.

The mentioned bank insurance is an accident insurance, so will pay for the same hospital expenses in case of an accident, so duplicate coverage there, but will also pay in case of an accident for other expenses.

Your private insurance is a health insurance, so will pay for hospital expenses.

The mentioned bank insurance is an accident insurance, so will pay for the same hospital expenses in case of an accident, so duplicate coverage there, but will also pay in case of an accident for other expenses.

Sorry for being unclear. I am comparing private health insurance to the Social Security scheme to which gov't schools belong--which is a health/accident insurance combined.

I consider it "overkill" if the private insurance simply duplicates or insures less than the social security plan.  That was actually my question.

Sorry for being unclear.  I am comparing private health insurance to the Social Security scheme to which gov't schools belong--which is a health/accident insurance combined.
Private health insurance will not cover more but will give more options with regards to hospital choice e.g.

Since you're already insured I would not do the additional insurance.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry for being unclear. I am comparing private health insurance to the Social Security scheme to which gov't schools belong--which is a health/accident insurance combined.

If already have SSI, then would recommend not buying additional insurance.

Would be better to put the premium cost in a separate account and that should more than cover any incidentals not covered by SSI or allow for 'upgrades' in service if needed

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app