Probably A Stupid Question...90 Day Reporting

I renewed my 1 year visa [based on marriage] a couple of months ago [for the third time] and forgot to do the 90 day report. I am liable for the THB2k fine? Has anyone else forgotten to report when they renewed their 1 year visa based on marriage, and gotten away with it?

Theoretically the 90 day report is about your address , which is something that you sign off at T.M. Chang Wattana in order to renew your marriage visa. Not sure that this argument will fly though...

Thanks for all replies.

Your 90 day address report is due on the date indicated on your last receipt (or 90 days from last entry) - has nothing to do with extension request.

If it was due on that day you can report up to 7 days after without fine - but you must use a TM.47 - the TM.7 extension is not accepted as an address report after the first extension request.

Dammit. Sounds like I owe immigration another fine. Do they charge more than THB2k if you have already failed to report once before? [This will be my second time...]

Dammit. Sounds like I owe immigration another fine. Do they charge more than THB2k if you have already failed to report once before? [This will be my second time...]

Sorry folks, It is no longer B2,000! The new rate I received yesterday printed on the latest Thai Immigration 90 day report acknowledgement says "A fine not exceeding B5,000".

Edited by Estrada

That is the maximum fine not the normal 2000 baht fine.

• If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

Source: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days

If the fine had been potentially 5000 baht, I would have been considering a trip to the airport!

I have gone long spells of not needing to do the 90 day reporting, due to the fact I left Thailand a few times, and often wondered whether, after missing my 90 days reporting, and I managed to fly out of Thailand, if it would be pretty much forgotten.

You could leave with an overdue 90 day report because departure immigration does not check for them.

But when you go in for your next report after returning from a trip or when you go for your next extension they might notice it.

I just came from chap chom I was 18 days late reporting. They said the one week grace is for visa renewal. They showed me a document that said reporting past the 90 days is a 5000bht base fine and up to 200 bht a day.. mine came to 8600 bht

Edited by krabimike

Experienced a problem like this the last time I " renewed" my retirement visa. Since I olanned some travel, I obtained the new retirement visa PRIOR to my last scheduled 90 day check in. I then assumed I would not have to check in on the OLD 90 day cycle since I had a NEW cycle with the NEW Visa. When I went to do the 90 day check in for NEW Visa, I was infomed I was two months late for the old check in, and owed them money. Fortunately, the immigration officer was reasonable when I pointed out I was

In the Immigration Office for the NEW visa' which I could prove, and did not understand I had to go to their desk AGAIN. He settled for 1000 baht for the Immigration Officers' Retirement Fund. If this seems illogical and confusing to you, you are not alone! :)

I just came from chap chom I was 18 days late reporting. They said the one week grace is for visa renewal. They showed me a document that said reporting past the 90 days is a 5000bht base fine and up to 200 bht a day.. mine came to 8600 bht

You got ripped off. What they showed you is from the immigration act of 1979. Immigration policy is 2000 baht. And you can report 15 days before or 7 days after

Did they give you a receipt?

You got ripped off. What they showed you is from the immigration act of 1979. Immigration policy is 2000 baht. And you can report 15 days before or 7 days after

Did they give you a receipt?

no receipt,, I complained when they showed me the 8,600 fine. my girlfriend is a Thai lawyer she told them "sorry but I just read it is only a 2,000 bht fine" and they kept pushing this statute that they had in front of her.( it was written on paper and he said it was a new rule in law) in the end he said if we didnt want a receipt it would be 1500 bht. 8600 to 1500 who needs a receipt! but if I knew it was 2000 for sure! I would have demanded a receipt. But my girl friend is convinced it is a new law. Sometimes with the open and obvious corruption. it is easier to leave things alone. I came to this country to relax and enjoy not to fix there problems or go to war with them. I did enough of that with the same corruption in the USA..

• Like 1

Last week I reported abt 3 weeks late after the 90 days. I paid 2000 baht, got a receipt, and a stamp on my passport about it including the case number (on the yellow form we signed). The officer told me that I could not renew my non-immigrant spouse visa if I do not have the 90-day report slip (the one attached to the passport). Unless of course I leave the country before the 90 days reporting schedule.

Edited by jazzgirl

I went to T.M. Chiang Wattana today, and ended up paying a THB2k fine. Out of interest, I spoke with the [very crotchety looking female] senior officer who took the fine and gave me the receipt, and asked her if there is a maximum number of times that you can run these fines. She said "no". Irrespective I have my second red stamp in my newish passport.

There was another chap there who had somehow got himself into a 180+ day overstay. [Not sure why he was in the 90 day reporting section]. If I heard the conversation right [which I might not have done] they were quoting him a huge fine.

While having to pay the THB2k was a nuisance, at least it was quick. In and out in about 15 minutes...

The written policy is 2k or 4k with issues (as noted above). The law allows up to 5,000 baht and 200 baht per day (that would seem to be if you refuse to pay the fine). This is not something new but is section 76 of immigration act of 2522.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

I not understand when you say (that would seem to be if you refused to pay the fine)

The written policy is 2k or 4k with issues (as noted above). The law allows up to 5,000 baht and 200 baht per day (that would seem to be if you refuse to pay the fine). This is not something new but is section 76 of immigration act of 2522.

http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/doc/Immigration_Act.pdf

I not understand when you say (that would seem to be if you refused to pay the fine)

I think he means that if you show attitude, it's up to the Immigration Officer to increase the fine to the Max.

Edited by MJCM

It would appear the 200 baht per day would be applied to days after being advised a fine was due - the fine normally covers any time prior to being informed (it is not spelled out in the regulation - and have never heard of it actually being charged).

You could leave with an overdue 90 day report because departure immigration does not check for them.

But when you go in for your next report after returning from a trip or when you go for your next extension they might notice it.

You will need a re-entry permit and they will caught it then, and if you leave without getting a re--entry permit your visa is voided.

You will need a re-entry permit and they will caught it then, and if you leave without getting a re--entry permit your visa is voided.
When you return that is the beginning of your new 90 days. Because you we're just at immigration. You also have a new entry card.

5 months ago i realised that I was 10 days over the due reporting date. I removed the reminder slip and feigned innocence. Asked where it was I said that it must have fallen out; maybe when I had previously reported the young lady hadn't been too efficient with the stapling machine. Black looks - but that is all. Went on my way rejoicing.

Experienced a problem like this the last time I " renewed" my retirement visa. Since I olanned some travel, I obtained the new retirement visa PRIOR to my last scheduled 90 day check in. I then assumed I would not have to check in on the OLD 90 day cycle since I had a NEW cycle with the NEW Visa. When I went to do the 90 day check in for NEW Visa, I was infomed I was two months late for the old check in, and owed them money. Fortunately, the immigration officer was reasonable when I pointed out I was

In the Immigration Office for the NEW visa' which I could prove, and did not understand I had to go to their desk AGAIN. He settled for 1000 baht for the Immigration Officers' Retirement Fund. If this seems illogical and confusing to you, you are not alone! smile.png

It's confusing to you because you don't actually get what the 90-day report is for. Every time you stay in Thailand for 90 days in a row you have to report your address to immigration. It has nothing to do with extending the permission to stay on your visa, and is not connected with visa applications in any way.

Suppose you do a 90-day report, then stay 45 days, and do a visa extension on the 45th day, you have reported your address during the visa extension process, but that doesn't count for anything. You have only stayed 45 days so the 90-day address reporting requirement does not apply - you haven't yet stayed 90 consecutive days. There's no reason for the clock on your 90-day reporting to be reset by your visa extension!

The legal requirement to report your address becomes due another 45 days after your visa extension, because at that point you have been in Thailand for 90 days in a row without leaving. This is all the 90-day report is concerned with. It has nothing to do with your visa at all.

I think the 90 day reporting has everything to do with your visa. When for your visa to be valid you must report. Also when I renew my one year visa my 90 days starts new as I have also reported where I live when renewing my visa.

I think the 90 day reporting has everything to do with your visa. When for your visa to be valid you must report. Also when I renew my one year visa my 90 days starts new as I have also reported where I live when renewing my visa.

The 90 Day reporting has everything to do with your "Extension of Stay". Your visa could have been expired for years and years, but you could be still on a Extension of Stay !!. A Visa is the first step to get this Extension.!! (For example my Visa has expired already for 2 years, but my extension of stay is still valid until 14th July 2013.

And that your 90 Day starts new when you get another extension of stay, this is not in every Immigration Office, so make sure that it is / does.

I've already covered both of those points, and I won't keep pressing it, but your reply shows just the same misunderstanding that I was trying to clear up!

Your 90-day report has nothing to do with validity of your visa. In fact if you are on a visa extension ( which you must be, as you cannot "renew" your visa within Thailand) your visa is no longer valid anyway.

If you never do a 90-day report this will not affect your permission to stay in Thailand - a 90-day report is not a permission to stay another 90 days, it is simply an address report. If you don't do it you will just get fined for not doing it.

I already said that you report your address when doing a visa extension, but that report does not by itself reset your 90 day clock . That is at the discretion of the immigration office and they do not do it automatically, though some will if asked, and if the date that you apply for your visa extension is close to your 90-day report due date,

Edited by partington
  • Like 1