Jacobs Creek Wine

Firstly, I am not a conspiracy theorist, but a while back I bought a couple of bottles of jacobs creek, they have been on the shelf for a few months because I enjoy a wine they sell here by the box. Anyway, we ran out of wine and decided to drink the jacobs creek, it tasted like cheap french house wine and actually burned a bit going down. I am no expert but it tasted nothing like jacobs creek. Is there any possibility it is fake? Does that happen here? Just wondering.

If someone was going to go to the trouble to bottle and flog fake wine, for which they would presumably still need a supply of wine to substitute, it would hardly be worthwhile doing it with some cheap Australian wine. And in Thailand probably not worth it even with more expensive wine. Johnnie Walker Black Label maybe, but wine??

Jacobs Creek is a bottom-end wine, sells in Australia for about AUD$9.00 or so a bottle. They do have a so-called up-market wine, with I think a Black label, from memory I think it sells for around $18 a bottle.

I know it has been stocked in Thailand for quite a few years. At $9.00 a bottle in Australia it is a QUAFFING wine, about one step up from a Wine Carton. If of course it has been incorrectly stored here in Thailand where stockists "know all about wine" Ha,ha! what you got was probably the REAL THING but a bottle that had been left standing upright in a tin shack for the past couple of years.

Cheers!!!

Jacobs Creek is a bottom-end wine, sells in Australia for about AUD$9.00 or so a bottle. They do have a so-called up-market wine, with I think a Black label, from memory I think it sells for around $18 a bottle.

I know it has been stocked in Thailand for quite a few years. At $9.00 a bottle in Australia it is a QUAFFING wine, about one step up from a Wine Carton. If of course it has been incorrectly stored here in Thailand where stockists "know all about wine" Ha,ha! what you got was probably the REAL THING but a bottle that had been left standing upright in a tin shack for the past couple of years.

Cheers!!!

Yeah, I know it's not a top end wine but I have "quaffed" enough in the past that didn't taste that bad :(
  • Like 1

Did you drink it at Thai room temperature? It might have been marginally more palatable if put in the fridge for an hour or so - take off some of the sharper edges and reduce the "jamminess" by bringing out the tannins in it.

• Like 1

Did you drink it at Thai room temperature? It might have been marginally more palatable if put in the fridge for an hour or so - take off some of the sharper edges and reduce the "jamminess" by bringing out the tannins in it.

Drank it at air conditioned room temp, abour 25º

High heat can kill a wine in a matter of a few hours. I seriously doubt most wine here is transported properly. Central's grocery store has stickers on the bottles they guarantee were shipped properly. If you're not happy with the wine, return it and they'll replace it for you.

I'd never buy a bottle at the borders here. The bottles are stored out in the open and would be ruined, IMHO.

Sometimes, you do get a bad bottle. It happens.

Unfortunately, drinking wine here in Thailand is difficult due to the import taxes and duties.

http://wine.about.com/od/storingwines/a/storingwine.htm

Drank it at air conditioned room temp, abour 25º

Really way too warm. The concept of drinking at room temperature comes from an age when European homes didn't have central heating - just a fire. 25 C would be way above room temperature, even by modern European standards. Try chilling it down to 18 C and it will taste better (but still not great). Personally, for a poor quality wine like this I'd take it down even further.

I suspect most Australian and New Zealand wine producers insist on temperature-controlled shipping, and even attempt to recruit regional distributors who can successfully manage the supply chain (stock rotation, local deliveries) while maintaining reasonable trans-shipment and storage temperatures. As the wine moves farther into the supply chain, unfortunately, things can go awry. Stock doesn't get rotated, temperature control - which requires significant costs - varies, wine sits in hot warehouses, and delivery trucks at 45 C cooking away, all of which results in bad bottles. Find a reputable supplier, expect to pay a premium, and stick with them.

I guess it has probably cooked then, not that I intend to buy any more Jacob's creek anyway, I have 1 bottle left, think it wil be cooking wine.

There is a lot of snobbery about wine and especially wine boxes, but as I have found a decent wine that comss in a box I think i'll stick with that from now on.

I buy all my wine in Cambodia these days. They have proper distributors that know how to store and consume wine. Not to mention the wine is very reasonably priced unlike Thailand.

In Phnom Penh there are some fantastic wine dealers; Red Apron and The Warehouse to name but two (both close to the intersection between St.19 and St. 240). All wines stored and shipped correctly and they have superb selections, both old world and new.

• Like 1