Bangkok: Steel Beams Tumble From M R T A Building Site, Crush Cars And Injure Commuter

webfact

Beams tumble from MRTA building site
MONTHIEN INTHAKET
THE NATION

30207781-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Mass Rapid Transport Authority is being urged to upgrade safety standards on its Purple Line extension after nine steel beams fell on to vehicles at Bangkok's Tao Poon Intersection yesterday, damaging four vehicles and injuring one person.

At 9.45am, a crane lifted the 9-metre-long beams during construction of Tao Poon Station, but cables holding the beams got loose or broke, sending the beams crashing down on to two taxis and two private sedans waiting at a traffic light below.

A pink Toyota taxi's front bonnet was slightly damaged, while a yellow Toyota taxi's roof and rear luggage compartment were dented and its windscreen and rear window smashed. The yellow taxi's passenger, Chawanrat Khamnui, 17, suffered a minor head injury.

At the same time, a black Honda City's roof was dented and its windscreen and rear window broken, while a bronze Honda Civic's rear window and left rear light were smashed.

The accident caused a traffic jam in the area as police and construction workers tried to clear the wreckage.

A glass pane in a nearby office owned by Nawanakhon International Guard Co was also broken by a fallen beam, which narrowly missed window cleaner Chai Preedecha, 55. Chai said he had seen things falling from the station at least three times before, but this was the worst incident.

"If I had ignored the noise of falling beams and kept working, I wouldn't have been able to duck from the oncoming beam and would have been killed. I want this to be a lesson to the construction people to provide safety to residents and passing motorists," he said.

The owner of the Honda City, public-works engineer Chalermpop Ubon, 34, said he was waiting for a green light when the beams fell on to his car, but he instinctively ducked down.

"I feel lucky that I wasn't injured. As an engineer, I think this site had no safety system: They didn't clear the area when a crane lifted something to prevent accident like this," he said.

The driver of the yellow taxi, Sawai Suraso, 37, said he managed to duck when the beams fell on to his car but his teenage passenger was hit by the caved-in roof.

"This incident makes me feel unsafe. A construction site above the area used by motorists should have better safety system," Sawai said.

A nearby resident and former defence official, General Kittisak Ratprasert, whose house was expropriated for this project, said this was not the first time things had fallen from the site. There were also many incidences of sparks from welding, as well as noise pollution and dust.

Calling for the authorities to probe the site and ensure its safety was improved, he said the construction work seemed to have been subcontracted and the supervising engineer ignored people's safety.

Police questioned the supervising engineer and workers as well as the crane operator. They will consult experts to assess whether the construction tools and equipment caused the accident or human error or recklessness, before filing charges leading to compensation payments.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-07

I don't know this site so cannot comment on its operation, supervision or lack of etc. Putting aside what can go on in the name of making a bigger profit I remember a view held by a senior civil servant, whom I used to meet on my morning walk at our local Fitness Park, and whose idea was if you give a Thai worker a job they will immediately look for ways to cut corners and save time so that hopefully it may result in more free time for themselves.

• Like 1

One wonders what Job Safety analyst or risk assessment are done at the beginning of each shift, rules and guidelines implemented for that site and core safety training for all employee's and safety programs designed to ensure that employee's and the public are safe to go about their daily routine without being injured, the responsibility lies with the Client (MRT) and the principal contractor, maybe this is a little bit to advanced for Thailand , sorry.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Depending on the type of wire, stainless steel or galvanized, wire rope has a safety life of 2 to 5 years, and that's with proper maintenance. There may be nothing wrong with the wire at that time but it should be changed with a wire that has an appropriate safety certificate.

Wire ropes do not come cheap.

• Like 1

As it is the Thai way,... the crane driver will get the most blame, because he was the one steering the crane without any further notice that the safety wiring ropes were just cheaply constructed materials that'll break due to overload...

... and the big bosses of the company will just pay a sum of money for compensation, case closed...

Have a nice day...

As a former crane operator I know that he is the responsible party for lifts on the crane he is operating. He is the final say if the lift is properly rigged and that the area is cleared before doing the lift. I know the rules and regulations are not up to OSHA/MSHA standards in the USA, but ultimately in the end it is all on the crane operator. If he says it isn't safe, then it should be discussed among the supervisors, workers and the crane operator what needs to be done to make it safe. From reading the article it seems the rigging they were using was substandard. That is not a good way to start the day or a lift.

CB

Edited by cannonball

A pink Toyota taxi's front bonnet was slightly damaged, while a yellow Toyota taxi's roof and rear luggage compartment were dented and its windscreen and rear window smashed.

I'm actually relieved it wasn't the other way round. I like those pink Toyotas. :rolleyes:

The Nation - all the details you need and more. bah.gif

• Like 1

As it is the Thai way,... the crane driver will get the most blame, because he was the one steering the crane without any further notice that the safety wiring ropes were just cheaply constructed materials that'll break due to overload...

... and the big bosses of the company will just pay a sum of money for compensation, case closed...

Have a nice day...

As a former crane operator I know that he is the responsible party for lifts on the crane he is operating. He is the final say if the lift is properly rigged and that the area is cleared before doing the lift. I know the rules and regulations are not up to OSHA/MSHA standards in the USA, but ultimately in the end it is all on the crane operator. If he says it isn't safe, then it should be discussed among the supervisors, workers and the crane operator what needs to be done to make it safe. From reading the article it seems the rigging they were using was substandard. That is not a good way to start the day or a lift.

CB

No one could argue with what you say but unfortunately in general, construction sites here do have a tendency to stick up many signs relating to safety and that's as far as it goes.

If it's a multi-national then all the rules will be enforced, but it doesn't happen much in the Thai controlled construction industry.

Without an effective HSSE organised office to back him up if the crane driver refused to make the lift it's very likely he would be looking for another job.

• Like 2

Have a nice day...

CB

TIT. If one wishes to keep one's job, one would not stop progress for such discussions.

• Like 1

A pink Toyota taxi's front bonnet was slightly damaged, while a yellow Toyota taxi's roof and rear luggage compartment were dented and its windscreen and rear window smashed.

I'm actually relieved it wasn't the other way round. I like those pink Toyotas. rolleyes.gif

The Nation - all the details you need and more. bah.gif

Investigative journalism at its best. blink.png

The Mass Rapid Transport Authority is being "urged" to upgrade safety standards......

Urged...!? Urged <deleted>!!! How about "ordered to close down" until site inspectors are sure that sufficient safety measures are in place (with no backhanders involved). Add to that an appropriate fine for failure to have safety standards in place already, along with effective compensation for the injured persons/ damaged cars...!!

Speaking of safety awareness, my house mate mowed the front lawn last weekend (before I pulled the plug) using the electric mower, wearing Thai safety shoes.

In Australia we call these 'thong sandals', and in the UK they're called 'flip flops'.

I guess the next thing is a Thai safety helmet, a.k.a. 'baseball hat'.

whistling.gif

When beams are being lifted, shouldn't they stop traffic from entering the area?

in any other sane country in the world yes...but let not forget in Thailand most of the population carry lucky amulets for just such occasions..thumbsup.gif

although there is talk of sub-standard tools & equipment being used, one suspects the explanation for this accident will be a lot simpler...ie improper rigging practices...the beams have been lifted in what is called a basket hitch, the slings have not been "choked" properly causing the beams to fall out the slings...seen it happen plenty of times and not only in Thailand... wink.png

• Like 1

Have a nice day...

CB

How is the crane driver responsible for lifts that in many cases he cannot see? Doesn't the rigger take any responsibility?

• Like 1

Have a nice day...

CB

How is the crane driver responsible for lifts that in many cases he cannot see? Doesn't the rigger take any responsibility?

The rigger or slinger is responsible for hooking the load, for the guys who work in industry how many time have you ever seen an crane driver get out of his cab to check if something is rigged properly ?....for me in 25 years construction...maybe once and think that was becasue the crane driver needed to go the toilet before a lift...thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

A few years ago I was flying from Brisbane, Australia to BKK. I was sitting alongside a middle aged couple & got talking to the man next to me.

He said that it was his first trip to Thailand & he & his wife were spending 1 week in Bangkok & a second week in Pattaya. I asked him what work he did & he said he was a "workplace health & safety inspector". I did not comment but smiled to myself thinking he's going to have an interesting holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope he enjoyed it.

Blame the crane driver, that sounds about normal because he has no chance to run away ! Don't they have a "Dogman" or "Rigger" working with the driver who's job it is to make sure that the load is secure and all equipment in safe working condition. Another thing, why in the hell are people and cars allowed underneath a lift ?

Edited by oldsailor35

When beams are being lifted, shouldn't they stop traffic from entering the area?

Someone positioned the whole thing so that the beams are lifted over the traffic. In other words, no one thought this was dangerous whatsoever.

I assume the car drivers will be fined: first for stopping in a dangerous construction zone and second for causing traffic jam because they did not immediately move their cars away after being hit...