Pattaya Jet Ski Operator Offers Partial Refund Of Money Taken From Indian Tourists

Rimmer

Pattaya Jet Ski Operator offers partial refund of money taken from Indian Tourists

ski-2.jpg
PATTAYA:--In, what is claimed to be, a gesture of good-will by the Jet Ski Operator, a partial refund of money taken from two Indian Tourists who were allegedly involved in an accident involving two hired Jet Ski’s, was made at Pattaya Police Station on Thursday.

Pattaya’s Tourist Police led negotiations with Khun Sarayut and his team of Jet Ski Operators who were given 42,000 Baht by the two men the day before which was compensation for damage caused to their Jet Ski’s after they were hired for just 10 minutes each at a cost of 150 Baht per Jet Ski.

Police later inspected the Jet Skis and determined that the damage was new and the cost of repair was “realistic” and no scam had taken place.

Despite their findings the Jet Ski Operator decided to return 25,000 Baht to the tourists who were low on money and needed the cash to pay off their outstanding Hotel Bill.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/90129/pattaya-jet-ski-operator-offers-partial-refund-money-indian-tourists/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-06-07

The original story is HERE

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it's me, but I can't believe a nutty tourist hasn't gone back to lay that guy out. There are some tourist in Pattaya I wouldn't mess with either. My hunch is, the jet ski guys avoid tough looking thug types and women. You never see women getting their asses kicked for not paying. And then I wonder if this will come down to "an eye for an eye" type of thing at some point.

• Like 2

Why don't the people who rent the jetskis make a video of it first and then if there is a problem they have evidence.

If the operator won't allow you to do it then walk away.

very risky taking a video or photo high chance you will be assaulted and your camera damaged i have seen it happen opposite mikes on a few occasions

Wow. "new damage". "realistic costs". "no scam".

Who could have guessed these guys would turn out to be a 'genuine' case and not a scam. I'm so glad the bib didn't allow these thieving foreigners to take advantage of an honest jetski operator.

Naturally the BIB are going to say that there is no scam because they are part of it. Ah Constable Somchai, there are allegations that you and your friends scammed a tourist. I am putting you in charge of investigating yourself and get back to me with your findings.

• Like 1

Who could have guessed these guys would turn out to be a 'genuine' case and not a scam. I'm so glad the bib didn't allow these thieving foreigners to take advantage of an honest jetski operator.

It's heartwarming isn't it? That's the great thing about Thailand: it's the land of smiles where all of the people are poor but honest and generous.

• Like 1

This is a clear admission of guilt by both the jetski operators and their police "inspectors". They have been 'found out' and are now squirming in order to avoid the obvious negative effects of the increased media coverage.

They should be charged with fraud (especially the police officers involved), made to repay the full amount, and then serve some time so as to send a message out to the rest of these scumbags.

George, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. You sound like all those awful cynical farang media who just don't unederstand. Look at the OP and fill in the gaps -

Police check and confirm that the damage to the jet ski was new, and that the repair estimate was realistic. There was no scam. Two young reckless Indian medical students come to Pattaya, hire jet ski's, and then refuse to take responsibility for the damage they recklessly caused. The operator has no choice but to pressure them, gently of course with normal politemess. The Jack the lad types realise they should act responsibly and then pay up. However, they are now short of money and can't afford to pay their hotel. What to do? Complain to the police we've been scammed they think. But the BiB are too sharp for these farang miscreants. They quickly verify the jet ski operators were right. But, on hearing of the hardships of two somewhat naive Indians, the generous jet ski business ownner generously donates THB 25k from the money he was rightfully entitled to, back to them. No doubt he will absorb the costs of the repairs himself. Well done to this charitible person and also to the BiB for their fast and fair investigation and mediation. No wonder this is called LOS. whistling.gif

I really loved reading fairy stories to mk kids too, thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

This is a clear admission of guilt by both the jetski operators and their police "inspectors". They have been 'found out' and are now squirming in order to avoid the obvious negative effects of the increased media coverage.

They should be charged with fraud (especially the police officers involved), made to repay the full amount, and then serve some time so as to send a message out to the rest of these scumbags.

George, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions. You sound like all those awful cynical farang media who just don't unederstand. Look at the OP and fill in the gaps -

Police check and confirm that the damage to the jet ski was new, and that the repair estimate was realistic. There was no scam. Two young reckless Indian medical students come to Pattaya, hire jet ski's, and then refuse to take responsibility for the damage they recklessly caused. The operator has no choice but to pressure them, gently of course with normal politemess. The Jack the lad types realise they should act responsibly and then pay up. However, they are now short of money and can't afford to pay their hotel. What to do? Complain to the police we've been scammed they think. But the BiB are too sharp for these farang miscreants. They quickly verify the jet ski operators were right. But, on hearing of the hardships of two somewhat naive Indians, the generous jet ski business ownner generously donates THB 25k from the money he was rightfully entitled to, back to them. No doubt he will absorb the costs of the repairs himself. Well done to this charitible person and also to the BiB for their fast and fair investigation and mediation. No wonder this is called LOS. whistling.gif

I really loved reading fairy stories to mk kids too, thumbsup.gif

If there was no scam, why was there a refund?

If the damage was 'new', is it possible that it was done or modified after the alleged scam? Why weren't the police involved the day it happened.

Was money not extorted from the 2 men the day previously with intended threats, they were surrounded by 6 operators.

If it was not a 'scam' it could have all been handled with the police involved on Wednesday afternoon, when it happened.

But I loved your tongue in cheek assessment. :D

Edited by jacko45k

Naturally the BIB are going to say that there is no scam because they are part of it. Ah Constable Somchai, there are allegations that you and your friends scammed a tourist. I am putting you in charge of investigating yourself and get back to me with your findings.

you mean "get back to me when you find yourself not guilty"... obviously?