Poll: Foreigners In Thailand: Are Insects Part Of Your Normal Diet?

Jingthing

Bugs bugs bugs bugs bugs ...   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Foreigners in Thailand: Are insects part of your normal diet?

• I eat some insects every day
    • I eat some insects at least every week
    • I eat some insects at least every month
    • I eat some insects at least every year
    • I don't eat insects but I have tried them
    • I don't eat insects and I have never tried them, but I still might
    • I don't eat insects and I have never tried them, and I NEVER want to!
    • Null vote / Grumpy Expat Option

This poll is closed to new votes

The UN has suggested that the world eat much more INSECT protein as a sustainable cheap way to get protein.

Thailand is clearly a major hub, a world leader in insect food production and consumption.

I think that's great for those who WANT to eat insects.

My only issue with insects in Thailand is the nasty smell of the cheap overused oil emanating from many of the insect selling street carts.

I also don't much like the notorious INSECT KISS, where you kiss someone and an insect leg ends up in YOUR mouth ... not to mention the flavor.

Oh well.

So here is a poll.

Have the foreigners in Thailand adopted the Thai-popular taste of eating insects?

Or not.

Please be clear. This is about INTENTIONALLY eating insects as FOOD. Like from carts. The question isn't about accidentally eating insects, which we all do, because insect parts (and poop) is in the general food supply. NOT the same thing.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

No vegetarian option JT?

I don't eat insects and I have never tried them, and I NEVER want to! (1 votes [100.00%])

The poll is NOT about motivations on why you do or don't eat insects, but COMMENTS are welcome.

Edited by Jingthing

I've eaten bugs worldwide and so has everyone else as they are normally hidden in the products that you buy. Nothing better than a Big Mac with a groud cockroach inside!

I've eaten bugs worldwide and so has everyone else as they are normally hidden in the products that you buy. Nothing better than a Big Mac with a groud cockroach inside!

Indeed:

The question isn't about accidentally eating insects, which we all do, because insect parts (and poop) is in the general food supply. NOT the same thing.

---

The way insects are presented in Thailand in the carts, just fried in stale oil, does not appeal to me and I wouldn't ever try those. I remember in Oaxaca Mexico the fried chile grasshoppers looked more appealing than the Thai fried bugs, but I didn't even try those. Perhaps didn't want to deal with how to eat them. However, I think if I had the chance to have some gourmet items like red ant EGG soup cooked well, THAT I would try, because it's supposed to be really delicious and no issues eating it, like getting legs in your teeth.

post-37101-0-58644000-1370673246_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing

I personally would rather eat some insects rather than offal and blood products. Also i could not eat dog,cat, monkey,elephant flesh or many other animals . No rational reason ,just personal preference.

Edited by xen

OK, I would try these for sure!

This is the kind of thing that would be needed to get most westerners to try bugs.

However, they STILL have to taste good. If the bars do taste good, I wouldn't be bothered about the cricket FLOUR. The problem of the legs in the teeth -- sorted!

Another insect product I'd like to see is some kind of neutral meat substitute cake like tofu or gluten chunks but made with bugs and usable in recipes like tofu or tempeh. I don't know how feasible that would be but food science today is pretty amazing, so why not?

Thai entrepreneurs, here's your chance to compete for the western bug eating market before Big BugmaTM steals it all away!

http://chapul.com/our-delicious-cricket-bars

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/new_scientist/2013/06/cricket_energy_bars_chapul_founder_explains_why_we_should_eat_insects.html

The United Nations wants us to eat more insects. Environmentalist Pat Crowley is on the case. He is a co-founder of Chapul, based in Salt Lake City. The company, launched last year, makes energy bars using crickets as a main ingredient.

Edited by Jingthing

I can't remember the last time I even saw some for sale, let alone bought some and ate them. In Bangkok I rarely see them outside of tourist areas. I have tried them many years ago from a cart in front of Nana, but they aren't something I encounter on a regular basis.

I was in Big C food hall in Nakon Sawan today eating duck and rice with the wife she doesn't eat insects, She's from BKK so she tell's me. She does swat them and never misses thank Buddha for that, as we were inundated with flie's not to mention baby Cockroach crawling over the table so if any one is near the place and into the thing's pop in and have a free meal.

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst drinking ones Chang in Thailand i partake of the odd deep fried scorpion or tarantula.

If i get a "Pringle" craving then it's the crispy bugs with wings that have the same crunch and come served in a bag.

Don't ask me what they are called because i have not the foggiest.

CCC