Isaan Happy To Host Formula One Event

Lite Beer

Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand's fastest growing city with wide roads, excellent infrastructure and convenient connections to Bangkok by air and road could not be more ideal to host the F1. Just forget the Isaan bit and the negatives which go with it. Korat is very different.

That's funny. I just spat a mouthful of larb and som tam all over the keyboard.

• Like 1

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plan for F1 race in Bangkok stalls as law bans car racing

Sunday June 9, 2013

BANGKOK: Bangkok’s chances of hosting a lucrative Formula One race have faded after planners banned car racing from the city’s historic quarter, officials said on Friday. The city was touted to host a landmark F1 night race in 2015, with a track mooted for the tourist area around the Grand Palace and a number of major Buddhist temples. But Bangkok’s Metropolitan Authority have stymied the proposal with a law banning “car racing” from the zone.

The law came into effect on May 16 prohibiting car racing in inner Bangkok because that area is a conservation for culture and arts,” Kriangphon Pattanarat, director general of City Planning Department told reporters. The law has been under discussion for two or three years, he said, adding it was not specifically targeted at F1. An F1 race would likely have brought tens of thousands of wealthy tourists to the capital as the sport looks to deepen its influence in Asia.

Opposition to the proposed race had been voiced by local residents around the potential track who said the event would have damaged their incomes and caused more traffic in the already gridlocked city. Minister of Tourism and Sports Somsak Phurisisak confirmed the law had been enacted and car racing can no longer take place in the city’s historic zone. “Whatever is illegal we will not do,” he said.

“I have been told yesterday on the new city planning law,” he added, voicing hopes Formula One’s governing body would consider laying on a race in another Thai province.

Nakhon Ratchasima, Thailand's fastest growing city with wide roads, excellent infrastructure and convenient connections to Bangkok by air and road could not be more ideal to host the F1. Just forget the Isaan bit and the negatives which go with it. Korat is very different.

That's funny. I just spat a mouthful of larb and som tam all over the keyboard.

Sponsored by Lao Kao as well.

• Like 1

I think they should do something different for the race, start it just outside Bkk and have a race to the finish line somewhere near Hua Hin, its a good road all the way.

Sunday June 9, 2013

BANGKOK: Bangkok’s chances of hosting a lucrative Formula One race have faded after planners banned car racing from the city’s historic quarter, officials said on Friday. The city was touted to host a landmark F1 night race in 2015, with a track mooted for the tourist area around the Grand Palace and a number of major Buddhist temples. But Bangkok’s Metropolitan Authority have stymied the proposal with a law banning “car racing” from the zone.

The law came into effect on May 16 prohibiting car racing in inner Bangkok because that area is a conservation for culture and arts,” Kriangphon Pattanarat, director general of City Planning Department told reporters. The law has been under discussion for two or three years, he said, adding it was not specifically targeted at F1. An F1 race would likely have brought tens of thousands of wealthy tourists to the capital as the sport looks to deepen its influence in Asia.

Opposition to the proposed race had been voiced by local residents around the potential track who said the event would have damaged their incomes and caused more traffic in the already gridlocked city. Minister of Tourism and Sports Somsak Phurisisak confirmed the law had been enacted and car racing can no longer take place in the city’s historic zone. “Whatever is illegal we will not do,” he said.

“I have been told yesterday on the new city planning law,” he added, voicing hopes Formula One’s governing body would consider laying on a race in another Thai province.

Well that's that then.

It's one night in Bangkok or bust for Bernie.

cheesy.gif oh stop it, you're killing me. F1 in Isaan? It will never happen.

Actually this was my idea that I posted on here earlier which has been stolen.

Posted 2013-05-27 06:44:46

Stupid idea. A much better one would be to hold

it in my area in Isaan. That way we might get some of the crumbling

roads fixed. By fixed I mean relaid not filled to a level way above the

surrounding road and left for the traffic to bed it down. thumbsup.gif

Sunday June 9, 2013

Is this an example of BKK City Council and the Government acting together seamlessly? Presumably Yingluck and her clan want any race to be held in Chiang Mai. That would make sense as by the time the conditions were put right in BKK it would be under water - and you know who would give it 90 days to disperse.

Sunday June 9, 2013

Is this an example of BKK City Council and the Government acting together seamlessly? Presumably Yingluck and her clan want any race to be held in Chiang Mai. That would make sense as by the time the conditions were put right in BKK it would be under water - and you know who would give it 90 days to disperse.

Mmmm, there wouldn't be an election any where in Bangkok in the very near future would there? whistling.gif

Why be so negative!

F1 create a lots of Money for hotels, restaurants, flights etc..

I have visited the sights of Buriram International Circuite and the plans and It looks fantastic.

I do have over 50 years knowledge of racing. and would like to see F1 in Thailand.

Most of the marchals for those races come with teams that are familar with this type of races.

Se my website:reinewisell.com

Hallo lonelyrw (reine) First of all welcome to Thaivisa. I love F1 and are very happy Kimi is back in the cirkus and with Lotus. If I am not misstaken you were with Lotus in the middle of the 1995 or 96.

I would love to have F1 race here. But big constructions and corruption doesn´t go hand in hand.

Just look at Swampy they have to repair the taxi and the runways every now and then. Because the cost of courruption they will use the cheapest materials. I would love to be wrong but I don`t think it will work.

Would be better if it was moved down towards Chomburi then:

• Easy access from 2 international airports,
  • Utilizing accommodation in Pattaya and Bangkok
  • Half decent road access, probably the best in Thailand.
  • More reason to beef up the rapid transport systems.
  • Bangkok would not be gridlocked for 3 days

Even in wealthy western cities the cost of hosting F1 is prohibitive and these events are not popular with the general public . (i am from melbourne) . Basically, its boring. V8 touring cars are much better. Thailand will have to come up with alot of money to convince the blonde dwarf and his two daughters to put on a race here.

it wont happen because there's nowhere to put it,,,,bangkok is out of the question and Isaan has no infrastructure.

its ok for some ex politicans to start their own footy comps out there but that doesnt equate to F1.

Thailand will not be a hub for F1...........move on.

• Like 2

This surely is all about taking taxpayer's money and putting it into the pockets of corrupt politician's and civil servants and making a big profit for Ecclestone.

Not quite sure how they are going to structure this rip-off.

All the razzmatazz and side stories are just smoke and mirrors.

What will happen now if the event is cancelled? Will the Red Bull heir have to go to jail?

As much as I would like to see a GP in Thailand purely for selfish reasons, it is completely inappropriate hosting such an event in a country with such a pitiful record of road safety.

Why be so negative!

F1 create a lots of Money for hotels, restaurants, flights etc..

I have visited the sights of Buriram International Circuite and the plans and It looks fantastic.

I do have over 50 years knowledge of racing. and would like to see F1 in Thailand.

Most of the marchals for those races come with teams that are familar with this type of races.

Se my website:reinewisell.com

Hallo lonelyrw (reine) First of all welcome to Thaivisa. I love F1 and are very happy Kimi is back in the cirkus and with Lotus. If I am not misstaken you were with Lotus in the middle of the 1995 or 96.

I would love to have F1 race here. But big constructions and corruption doesn´t go hand in hand.

Just look at Swampy they have to repair the taxi and the runways every now and then. Because the cost of courruption they will use the cheapest materials. I would love to be wrong but I don`t think it will work.

Yes welcome Reine who was a F1 driver 1970-74 when the cars were fast and dangerous best result 1970 US GP 3rd Gold Leaf Team Lotus then went on to drive for Marlboro BRM and March but i best remember his drives in the 1000cc F3 Championships prior to that in a Chevron B15 and when that class ended at the end of 1970 i think it was the beginning of the spiral down for real raw talent and the up for the amount of money gets you up the ladder of car racing to what we have now.I attended the British GP 1966 to 1979 would i go to a GP now no i watch them on the computer. As far as Isaan is concerned Thailand has no depth of car racing yes a few rich people and some racing old saloons but when you see videos look for spectators around the circuit not many to be seen only the Toyota/Honda fests get them and their not really interested in racing would they travel to another location to watch it i doubt it so building a stand alone F1 spec circuit here i personally is doubtful i know Newin said it would be used as a car manufacturers test facility but i have read a couple of them are going to build their own so where does that leave a purpose built race track for 53 weeks of the year.

Comon guys, just bring that dam_n thing to Chiang Mai.

Thank you Yingluck and Bernie.

An idea, much better than yours:

Only one time and then never again go Chinag Mai --> Pai - Mae Hong Son --> Pai --> Chiang Mai

First, You would see the real "champion" ..... if surviving.

Second, this would stop this nonsense event and the corrupt head of F1, B. Eccles..., for ever clap2.gifclap2.gif

Why they not doing it in Phuket? Have international airport, many hotels, could be the Monaco of Asia w00t.gif

Why they not doing it in Phuket? Have international airport, many hotels, could be the Monaco of Asia w00t.gif

------------------

Can't do it in Phuket.

The Taxi Mafia would never allow it.

Thailand has a habit of inviting these kinds of events, then being unwilling, or unable to budget the billions of dollars required, to bring the place up to the standards necessary for a major, world class event like an F1 race. So, it is simply wishful thinking, by a group of politicians that are really 13 year old boys, in men's bodies. How are they capable to processing the vision, or seeing what is required? They simply say - "I like formula 1. My country is the number one country in the world. Why can't we have a formula 1 race here? No improvements are required, since my country is already the greatest! Everybody knows that!"

• Like 1

Thailand has a habit of inviting these kinds of events, then being unwilling, or unable to budget the billions of dollars required, to bring the place up to the standards necessary for a major, world class event like an F1 race. So, it is simply wishful thinking, by a group of politicians that are really 13 year old boys, in men's bodies. How are they capable to processing the vision, or seeing what is required? They simply say - "I like formula 1. My country is the number one country in the world. Why can't we have a formula 1 race here? No improvements are required, since my country is already the greatest! Everybody knows that!"

They budget these things more than amply, it is just by the time is meant to be held, everyone is squabbling about where the pie shall be divided, so everything is late, delayed or never finished, a al futsal stadium. I would love for Thailand to have such a race, but to put it in Bangkok as a city race is a ridiculously ambitious idea considering the place. The place is gridlocked now, could you imagine the one or two years worth of road resurfacing that would need to be done. Of course, then finding out that the surface would be below standard one month before the race would then be the next stumbling block. Just getting the track clean to a point that would be regarded safe would be next to impossible.

Why Mr. Red Bull can't just take some of his gazillions and build a track out towards the airport somewhere, is beyond me, because to get this type of thing done through Thai bureacracy is virtually impossible.