Internet In Rural Isaan

Hornell

I live some 50 km north of Korat just off

the Mitraparp and just outside the 3BB Phi Mai footprint. At present I use an

AIS Aircard at 100 Baht for 30 hours, which works but is pathetically slow. I

have read a recent account to do with the True installation

of an antenna to boost their aircard, but as it slows to 'normal' after only 7

Mb download and costs 12,500 Baht, it doesn't seem worth it. There have to be

other options, but so far I haven't been able to find them. Grateful for any advice.

• Like 1

Truemove generally has better 3G coverage than the other networks.

Try buying a Truemove aircard, or if you have a phone which supports 3G, and can share with your computer, try a Truemove simcard for that.

Generally with my iphone + Truemove simcard, I can get 3G most places in Isaan (Even in some of the really rural areas we've passed through), however when I previously had both an AIS and DTAC simcard for my phone, I'd be lucky to even pickup 3G in the provincial capitals, let alone the countryside (That was admittedly 1 1/2 years ago though, they might be better now).

Although I have noticed that the speed has decreased on my 3G lately, I think the uptake of people on Truemove 3G has increased, as previously it was faster than my fixed line connection, but now they'd probably be about on par.

i am in the same boat. i live just north of the middle of nowhere in Buriram.

i am using an AIS card 800 Baht per month unlimited card. Dreadfully slow but just about workable.

I have heard friends speak of paying between 12k and 40k for a mast, but I am not sure from which provider.

I shall also be interested to hear of personal experiences in the boonies.

I am/was pretty much in the same situation as you. I tried a True aircard, but didn't like the idea of them having my personnel information for the service, later when they try to screw you with additional payments. I recently changed to a DTAC aircard 3g. In my remote area around Ubon, I manage to get up to 2 meg for 1000 baht/month. You get unlimited service and high speed up to 5 GB. After that it goes to 385 Kbps for the remainder of the month. No personal info needed to get this service. I would love to have 3BB, but like you, I also am outside of their footprint. So far, I'm somewhat satisfied with DTAC, until something better comes along.

There seem to be a few of us just out of reach of a decent connection.

True move seems the best in the rural areas but in my case I am just out of reach of the nearest mast.

A village about 3 km away has TOT lines and the doctors surgery has wirless available. She gave me her login details and said I could use it anytime for free.Good speed too. During the day she works at the hostpital in Chayapoum but has a sheltered area out front which i can use even when she is away.

What lovely people :)

Thanks to all of you for the replies. I realised that I wouldn't be alone in having this problem, and whilst there doesn't appear to be a cut and dried single solution, many of you have found workable ones. I shall work on it!

I live about 60Km south of Korat in a small village and previously used a True Air Card but it was very slow. I was then recommeded to contact CAT as they were installing Fibre Optic about 15KM away for the Army. Anyway to cut along story short, the came to our house, did a survey and 3 months later all installed FREE! They also installed it in the village school which may be another reason why we got it so that is also worth checking as giving schools tablets without Internet is not so good. I was also given a Router so have WiFi all over the house. I get about 25Mb download and 3.5Mb upload, Ping is about 25. No limit on downloading, cost THB 1605 per month including VAT. I know that they have lines going north from Korat so maybe worth contacting them, but the Rep has told me that the free installation has been withdrawn so I was very lucky in my timing. I am so pleased with my Internet speed now especially seeing I am living in the sticks about 3Km off the 304.Hope this helps.

Edited by Billmont
  • Like 2

We live about 24kms outside of Sakon, we use the true dongle for our laptop, around 850 baht per month unlimited. We get 3G but the more we use it the more the speed seems to slow down.

Weird.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

i am using an AIS card 800 Baht per month unlimited card. Dreadfully slow but just about workable.

I have heard friends speak of paying between 12k and 40k for a mast, but I am not sure from which provider.

I am living in a small village 15kms from the city. Catcom have supplied me with a new 3G usb modem. Spped is reasonable but download limit is 5GB then they slow you down to 384 Kbps. Cost is 631 baht per month.

I wonder if a visit to your local Catcom may help yo

I wonder if a visit to your local Catcom may help you?

Also check out any local schools and temples as they will have internet and will be able to supply you with detail;s of their internet service provider.

Edited by tlcwaterfall
  • Like 1

I use a with a Dtac dongle out in the sticks in Surin.......Two of my friends have had TOT round and they both have a Nanostaion Installed. Its a box on top of an aerial that connects to a Router in the house.Both guys have been to TOT and they come round within a week .You can can have a few different packages ...They pays 600 for 10GB speed a month unlimited downloads.

The cost of the install is 6000 Baht all in...... I have tested both their speed and they are getting what TOT have told them.I nip round to their house to do my downloading, A film can be as quick as 20 mins......streaming Films and Football is great...I can't wait to have the system put in!!

Here's an oldish review of TOT 'nanostation' which I found useful,I hope others do too

http://www.phuketgazette.net/archives/articles/2011/article10862.html

We are lucky as we have an aerial in our area,check with TOT if you have a service in your locale too smile.png

• Like 1

Go to your local TOT office. They can either set you up with a wireless 3G WAN if available or worse case scenario an Ipstar satellite connection.

well that Ip star sucks , many times dropouts and the speed is horrible

the coverage for wi-net TOT is pretty much everywhere

do you have some of those big antenna posts in vieuw from your house ? than very possible the wi-net is in there also

my signal comes from a antenna about 8 kilometer from the house and perfect signal it still has

Ipstar satellite sucks big time unless you have no other alternatives; and in my opinion using your mobile phone card is not a viable alternative. I suffered with TOT Ipstar for about 5 years until last year when TOT introduced WI-Net. I now have a 10 MByte download connection for a little less than 1000 bhat per month. It goes down occasionally but generally I am very happy with it. TOT specifically introduced this service for rural areas not covered by the major providers.

Edited by Utley

We just moved outside of UDON THANI 17kms...not even a telephone line in site...My wife went online and found AIS..WI-FI...she called and they came to the house did a survey..PUT up a 15ft antennae with a small receiving unit,,and even a dust to dawn LED. I was astounded...the cost was only 2,000 baht for all this work and equipment and wireless router...and a monthy bill of 560baht...It is 3x's as fast as the cable 3bbb I was paying 1260baht a month in downtown UDON THANI.THISAIS HAS HIGHER speeds at more cost but this( MINIMAL COST) will run YOU TUBE on 3 pcs in the house too!!

Edited by metisdead
Bold font removed.
  • Like 1

I use a TOT internet connection. I am 2kms out of Satuek & the reason I have this is that the telephone line was sooooo unreliable.

It works fine at about 7MB except when they connect too many people to the receiver.

It pays to have the tech's direct phone number. For some reason I still need to keep my telephone number for it to work (or so they tell me).

Costs 10,000B to connect & 890B/mth

i use my iphone as a hotspot and tether my laptop to it , speed not great but it works .....Huayrat how much was that devise from True and where did u buy it ?

I bought it in the True shop in Buriram.. Think it was 2000 baht to buy the thing and then 400 baht promotion for 3 months.. It's now 800 baht a month .. Works in the sticks and I take it everywhere with me..

The price of the mast sounds like it's what CAT ( Buriram ) offers. I was quoted 18000 baht

Walk around your local market and look for any girl who is overly made-up, tattooed and smiling at you in an overly intrusive manner.

I guarantee she will have a smart phone and will be able to advise on which aircard works best in your localerolleyes.gif

There seem to be a few of us just out of reach of a decent connection.

True move seems the best in the rural areas but in my case I am just out of reach of the nearest mast.

A village about 3 km away has TOT lines and the doctors surgery has wirless available. She gave me her login details and said I could use it anytime for free.Good speed too. During the day she works at the hostpital in Chayapoum but has a sheltered area out front which i can use even when she is away.

What lovely people smile.png

A fair summary of the people in Issan, an attitude that mother would have described as Christian...(she would have loved Thailand) I use TOT line in (at last) speed's OK, til lall the village kids piggy back, then I have to change the password.....reluctantly, but even I need to work sometimes. Keep pestering TOT....Chok Dee

I live 80 km outside Buriram

Last year was no 3G signal then was a mast 5 km away working good true move h

But not reach my house I told about this problem then true send. Some technician and fix it all ok!

For all of others have bad 3 g signal I imported before from europe a new slink 3 g router external wireless antenna with long cable and USB air card connected with router never used because I have good signal now

If some have intrest in area with low true signal this set could help!

Plz send pm I have no use for!

Cardholder as you know my Mrs village aint that far from you.

Her AIS aircard was upgraded to 3G just this week. Have you not had the same?

We live in a rural village called Nongsang. We're a/b half way between Chaiyaphum and Khonkaen. It took 8 months to receive an internet service vie TOT. Air cards SUCK SUCK SUCK. TOT's service might not be the best in the world but I'm reasonable satisfied, and compared to an air card I'm ecstatic. Ture is not available to me for a reasonable cost. So TOT's Bt700 is well worth it.

Cheers,

Keoki

Cardholder as you know my Mrs village aint that far from you.

Her AIS aircard was upgraded to 3G just this week. Have you not had the same?

Not yet T - have to get the pony and trap out and venture into the nearest Telewitz shop some 23km away smile.png

I bought a DTAC sim card at 7-11. Unlimited internet for 7 days and 100 minutes for the phone for 299 baht. We are in Lahansai Buriram at the moment and I am using my android phone (samsung exhibit 4G phone) as a mobile wifi hotspot. DTAC coverage is really good around here, I have been pleasantly surprised by the speed.