Driving On The Left!......

BKK90210

I'm in the US and planning to self-drive in thailand on our upcoming trip.

Our plan is to drive from Rayong - Chonburi - Nakon Phatom - Kanchanaburi - back to Ratchaburi - Petchaburi - Hua Hin.

We will be spending about 4 weeks with stoping & resting in between.

My questions are....

Were you scare doing that the first time?

How the traffic in/around that area?

Is it that easy to switch your mind from usual driving on the right....to on the LEFT?

How was your first time doing that......in Thailand.....want to share your experiences?

To tell you the truth....I'm a bit scare but wanted to try out in order to see thailand more upclose!

Any advices or tips?

Thanks in advance

BKK :o

Edited by BKK90210

I think we who drive on the "correct" side of the road have all been through this when we first started driving in Thailand. I found it to be easier than I thought if you keep your mind on what you are doing. It was always easy in traffic because you are following someone most of the time. It was only when I was driving down some small road out in the countryside that I tended to start out on the wrong side of the road. Good luck.

I'm in the US and planning to self-drive in thailand on our upcoming trip.

To tell you the truth....I'm a bit scare but wanted to try out in order to see thailand more upclose!

Any advices or tips?

BKK :o

The area you are planning to drive would be classified as very busy and my advice would be to hire someone to drive you for a couple hundred baht a day. That plan would put you in charge of where you go and when you go and keep you out of the potential accident that would at least spoil your trip and at most take the life of someone.

Getting used to driving on the left is not that difficult to do but does require some time to acquaint you with the idiosyncracies involved and then the return to US and driving on the right again would also be an additional learning experience.

Hire someone and help them with a little income and help you with peace of mind that you are contributing to your safety as well as that of others and for sure have a much more pleasant experience.

Enjoy your trip.

I found for myself changing to the right and then back to the left, some things I noticed are:

1. Being aware where the passengers side of the car is. So you will be used to it being on the right, then it is on the left.

2. Your first Right turn or left turn across Traffic. You can end up driving up the wrong side of the road.

3. U-turns / reversting / 3-point-turns. First time I "Changed to the other side" I had to do a tight and tricky reversing and U-Turn to get the car from the rental company.

Some other things to consider. If you are grtting the car from the airport, it is very congested from the airport to the tollway, and that can be an experience for anyone. However once you are on the tollway, you can drive nearly all the way to Chonburi thence Rayong. That will get you plenty of time to adjust to being on the other side of the car.

The other thing to consider is the cost diference between Self Srive and having a driver. You might find its like $10- - $20 USD a day. Something worth considering, as also the driver should know of lots of places to see.

Good Luck and enjoy your holiday.

Driving on the left was the easy part, it was everything else (how they drive, etc) that was tough to deal with. Having grown up in southeast Florida I figured I could drive anywhere; boy was I wrong!

A VERY good point TB.

The mechanics of driving on the left are nothing compared with the total road awareness required (I come from a left hand driving country and I got scared). Motorcycles regularly come up on your left (even if you are signalling a left turn) or head against the traffic flow at night with no lights, always expect the unexpected (and then some). Take care at intersections even if you have a green light. Passing on the left is the norm (and is permitted). This list could go in forever.

One last thing, if you see a pick-up heading towards you on 'your' side of the road with madly flashing headlights GET OUT OF HIS WAY or you WILL have a head-on! There was a very sad thread about 6 months ago about a US couple who did not understand this. They were onlty slightly injured in the resulting shunt, unfortunately the Thai couple in the pick-up died leaving at least one small child.

Geez...talk about nervous nellies.....grow some balls people. It isn't brain surgury and it isn't that hard.

Having grown up on driving on the left, my first time driving on the right was in Spain, where I guarantee you, is like Thailand for driving style, except they have better highways to go faster than here....

It takes about 1 hour to get used to the mechanics of driving on the opposite side, and as you are following traffic most of the time, it is less of an issue than you think.

The only time to be careful is when you are going down a quiet road or a one way street, to make sure that when you turn onto a main thouroghfare, to turn onto the correct side.

I think you should try it if you really want to do it, i don't see what is so difficult if you are focus on what you are doing...Practice on the super highway first is my advice, i think you will quickly get used to it and remember your new guidelines, when everyone's driving on the same side it's not that much of a puzzle to figure it out, it's the same as driving on the right side but the opposite... :o

I drove from Chiang Mai to Krabi and then back , 2 days after i first learned how to drive here....But again, i drove through Canada the day after i got my first license...

Be focus and enjoy the ride :D

And have a nice holiday :D

You do not know the pecking order or how Thai drivers read signs so I would also advise having a driver. The cost may not be any more than a hire car (get van/driver) and you can enjoy the scenery rather than worry about those motorcycles coming at you on both sides of the southbound highway. If you have upcountry experience and know that you get off the road when a car/truck is coming at you rather than play "chicken" perhaps you are ready to drive. Remember that flashing red lights are not observed by most Thai drivers (they do not stop); oncoming traffic will expect you to pull over on two lane roads when they are passing and do not have time to return to normal lane; flashing emergency signals can mean anything - even I am going through this intersection regardless of any other traffic; going the wrong way is a normal occurrence; making extra lanes is the norm; emergency medical service is not likely to be an option in the event of accident.

If you have never driven on the right and are used to US rules and interstate driving I would not recommend stepping off a plane and driving here.

Ok it's not hard, the hard part id many of the streets here are very narrow, judging distances on the left was very difficult for me at first, I scratched up the passenger side three times in one week. Now I've adjusted and not to many problems I just wit and take my time. I'm also driving a full size chevy pickup. It's bit wide the the small cars.

Now I'm from L.A. I have driven in that traffic since I was 16 over forty years ago. There is no way that I will drive in Bangkok. To much going on adn not knowing your way around on confusng streets make it very difficult. I think there are traffic rules here, the times they are enforced are when the cop can make some money and after the accident. If you choose to do this and once your out of Bangkok, you might find it fun.

But I would give serious thought about starting from the airport there are other places to rent cars.

Up country if you take it eay you might have some interesting experiences, such a diving too the shoulder to avoid being hit head on, by some guy who just has to pass and he knows you will get out of the way. I recommend that you do just that.

Are you familiar with round abouts? I wasn't and that really took time to get used to.

In the bigger Cities, tuks tuks are inexpensive and they know there way around, you don't. If you think a Thai map will always be correct, you are going to be in for a big surprise. The large road are marked usually in english, the small ones may not be marked even in Thai. :D

Do you speak Thai to get directions? :D

This could be a great adventure but you really need to plan for it.

It can be very exciting to be running along at a 100 KMs to find a farm tractor doing 3 KMS in the fast lane in front of you.

Or a vehicle coming head on at you at night with no lights on. A heard of cattle or buffalo crossing the road in front of you. These are not exceptions they are common things everyday here.

Getting a driver for a few days at least, until you see how traffic works here is probably a good idea.

Toto this ain't Kansas. :o

The side of the road your on is the least of the problems :D

Ok…I’m back.

Sorry for my slow response, HAD TO FINISH MY WORKS FIRST!

Thanks all you guys for taking the time to response. Good and informative advices here.

I’ve been to Thailand many times and familiar with “the free for all” attitudes of the thais when sharing the same roadways. :D I think the thais are taking “Mai Pen Rai” attitudes a little too far for my liking when driving! But this is Thailand…not suppose to complain too much….”Jai Yen Yen” right?

Do you think having many buddha images on the dash board - will help me....LIKE THE THAIS? :D

I just thought it would be nice to do something unique/special this time around for my bride since this is our 20th anniversary. By the way she’s thai, and we met while she’s studying in the US. BIG BIG cupid arrows - Love at the first sight :D – while doing our laundry at our dormitory.

Where am I…Oh the roadtrip... So naturally I just want this trip to be sort of the “HONEYMOON”, since we’re married quite young during our university yrs and never really had one to begin with – no time, got to study. I always pictured ourselves one of these days, driving around Thailand exploring the countrysides, just the 2 of us only (with her reading the map, of course), without the 3rd wheel coming along. Indeed it would be quite a romantic time together - sipping “nam tan sod” and eating “som tom” along the beach or rest stop somewhere, or having “spicy fried squid” with “thai ice-coffee” for our morning breakfast!....while writing romantic poems for each other. And hmm… this’s making me hungry!. :o:D

Anyway back to the topic. After reading those above valuable advices I think this is what we’re going to do.

Self drive – BKK airport – Rayong – back to Sri Racha – Chonburi…..since the roadways are quite straight forward – less complexed

With driver – Chonburi – Kanchanaburi – Rachaburi – the roads design look like spaghetti weaving to me

Self drive – Ratchaburi – Petchaburi - Hua Hin – hopefully this route should be a painless adventure - back together again - just the 2 of us....driving while holding her hand (just like the old times - but this time will be her right hand!)..soooo romantic! :D

What do you guys think…..COOL plan huh? :D

Edited by BKK90210

Well in Oz we drive on the left, The first time I stayed at my Gf's house she wanted me to drive around bangkok because she was tired, GOD DAM, the way they drive is crazy (i never saw 1 accident in a month which was supprising) but it will drive you mad with people cutting in. But after awhile you get used to it and you find yourself cutting in and starting to drive like a crazy bastard also, I dont know how many motor bikes i nearly took out.

Im sure you will be alright but you need abit of patients as if you suffer from road rage you will probaly get into alot of fights

when in the country you encounter oncoming traffic in your lane all the time, dont panic and it normally works out :D

You're kidding me!, right? Is this a normal everyday occurances here?

If it's true....this will be the most freaking scary experienced for me .....since JAWS-1 :o ....many moons ago!

He isn't kidding but if you stick to four lane roads that should not be a major problem. On the longer two lane roads upcountry you do have this happen a few times every trip and you need to be prepared for it and slow down/pull over to avoid a head on. This is hard to understand for many and is the main reason I advise having someone else do the driving. It should not happen in the city (those from Bangkok who have never driven upcountry are in as much danger as you - they will flash lights and hit horn the first time - if they survive they will know enough to get over the next time).

I've been pretty good with the "Left Side, Left Side" mantra any time I make a turn. Fortunately, my wife makes sure to help me with it.

The only real disgrace is other people not realizing you intended to turn when you put your windshield wipers on, but if you drive in the rain that becomes less of an issue.

Driving a standard transmission though would be well beyond my left hand's coordination.

I've been pretty good with the "Left Side, Left Side" mantra any time I make a turn. Fortunately, my wife makes sure to help me with it.

The only real disgrace is other people not realizing you intended to turn when you put your windshield wipers on, but if you drive in the rain that becomes less of an issue.

Driving a standard transmission though would be well beyond my left hand's coordination.

I dont know how you can steer with left and change gears with the right. I think that is abit weird.

Maybe you should get a auto transmission

Well it would be wierd to you, just as us changing feels very strange. Even after three years I'm constantly turning on the windshield wipers, when I want to use the turn sigmnals, they are just the opposite on a right hand drive car :o

100% sure you'll turn on the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal. They are reversed. Just to show you how much of a challenge it is with the simplest things.

My wife drove as I observed for the first 3 weeks I was here before I dared try it.

Ok…I’m back.

Sorry for my slow response, HAD TO FINISH MY WORKS FIRST!

Thanks all you guys for taking the time to response. Good and informative advices here.

I’ve been to Thailand many times and familiar with “the free for all” attitudes of the thais when sharing the same roadways. :D I think the thais are taking “Mai Pen Rai” attitudes a little too far for my liking when driving! But this is Thailand…not suppose to complain too much….”Jai Yen Yen” right?

Do you think having many buddha images on the dash board - will help me....LIKE THE THAIS? :D

I just thought it would be nice to do something unique/special this time around for my bride since this is our 20th anniversary. By the way she’s thai, and we met while she’s studying in the US. BIG BIG cupid arrows - Love at the first sight :D – while doing our laundry at our dormitory.

Where am I…Oh the roadtrip... So naturally I just want this trip to be sort of the “HONEYMOON”, since we’re married quite young during our university yrs and never really had one to begin with – no time, got to study. I always pictured ourselves one of these days, driving around Thailand exploring the countrysides, just the 2 of us only (with her reading the map, of course), without the 3rd wheel coming along. Indeed it would be quite a romantic time together - sipping “nam tan sod” and eating “som tom” along the beach or rest stop somewhere, or having “spicy fried squid” with “thai ice-coffee” for our morning breakfast!....while writing romantic poems for each other. And hmm… this’s making me hungry!. :o:D

Anyway back to the topic. After reading those above valuable advices I think this is what we’re going to do.

Self drive – BKK airport – Rayong – back to Sri Racha – Chonburi…..since the roadways are quite straight forward – less complexed

With driver – Chonburi – Kanchanaburi – Rachaburi – the roads design look like spaghetti weaving to me

Self drive – Ratchaburi – Petchaburi - Hua Hin – hopefully this route should be a painless adventure - back together again - just the 2 of us....driving while holding her hand (just like the old times - but this time will be her right hand!)..soooo romantic! :D

What do you guys think…..COOL plan huh? :D

No not a real cool plan at all.You've rec'd lots of free advive from people who live here and you still won't listen. One of the busiest sections is your last self drive. Lots of construction now,widening the hwy. I would have both hands on the wheel and hold hands when the car is parked. :D

Well it would be wierd to you, just as us changing feels very strange. Even after three years I'm constantly turning on the windshield wipers, when I want to use the turn sigmnals, they are just the opposite on a right hand drive car :o

Actually thats not strictly speaking true. Its only Japanese cars (and cars that a originally designed in a country that drives on the left) that have the turn signals reversed.

So to avoid turning on those wipers instead of the turn signals I suggest you only rent a BMW or Mercedes :D

Adjusting to driving on the other side is not that taxing, and I would not worry too much about this issue. To make it easier make sure you get an automatic. Making the jump to driving on the other side of the road and adjusting to the change in which hand is used to change gears may be too much on one trip – it just does not “feel” right at first.

As some other posters have indicated you will certainly turn on your wipers a few times instead of your turn signals. No worries though because most other drivers in Thailand never use their turn signals anyway.

Actually thats not strictly speaking true. Its only Japanese cars (and cars that a originally designed in a country that drives on the left) that have the turn signals reversed.

So to avoid turning on those wipers instead of the turn signals I suggest you only rent a BMW or Mercedes :D

Good idea, but I live here and own a Chevy truck now, not that I drive it much most of the time it's motorcycles and they do have the turn signals the same. But you would think that after a while I would stop, just an old reaction. :D

or a proton waja.

in thailaand till you understand the traffic you need to drive very defensively - but do not worry about driving along at 20 klms per hour trying to work out where you should be turning , because you won't stand out in the crowd of thais doing the same.

one of the first times that I came to Thailand with my new wife I hired a car from Don Muang and cruised up to Suphanburi no probs...I had lived in the UK for some years and used to driving on the wrong side. But before our trip we had been in the UAE with left hand drive.

I'd say that if you leave the airport going north then you'll be OK. Don't ever try and drive in BKK when you just step off the plane or even head for points south where you may have to deal with BKK traffic.

However brave you think you are it ain't no good goin' home ina box...

BKK90210,

You have received some excellent advice. I have lived in Pattaya for three years and drive every day, but when I first moved here mind you after coming to Thailand for many years, I would not attempt to drive on a trip much less from BKK airport.

I don't know where your wife is from, but if you are going to her home I would hire a driver.

For a nice honeymoon that you two never really6 had, southern Thailand such as Ko Samui would be nice.

Barry