Acorn

ciaociao

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received a notice via Facebook that the Acorn Pub is closing tonight ie out of business.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I think you will find its the Jomtien one thats closing, or maybe both

As far as I know a Jomtien ACORN restaurant never actually existed in the first place.

I received a notice via Facebook that the Acorn Pub is closing tonight ie out of business.

As far as I know a Jomtien ACORN restaurant never actually existed in the first place.

Still running under the name Shenanigans, but operated by Acorn Co

Jomtien Shenanigans just changed hands and so is unlikely to be closing down.

Jomtien Shenanigans just changed hands and so is unlikely to be closing down.

It hasnt performed as well as the new owners expected and from the information I have it is quite likely, again this is the restaurant Shenanigans, operated By the company Acorn

Regarding the Avenue and all the closed shops the fact is all of the closed and boarded up shops actually have 30 year leases on them which were prepaid at very cheap rates prior to the construction of the Avenue but unlike most shopping centre contracts there was no clause stating they had to open for trade everyday otherwise they would lose their lease. Siam Futures the owners of the centre have tried several times now in court to remove these lease owners but the court has ruled in favour of the lease owners just another reason why California WOW site is still not leased. So what you have is a load of lease squatters who are holding the centre to ransom by demanding ridiculous sub lease rates for their sites rather than open them. The contracts were sold and contracted by a very high profile property firm in Pattaya well before the centre opened who used contracts that did not force shop keeper's to open or lose their lease. Another reason why they simply couldn't demolish the site and start again as one would suggest.

• Like 1

Shenanigans in Jomtien is alive and well. There is a new manager and some changes in staff but otherwise looks to be staying around according to the people I know whio work there. But the quiz has moved from Tuesday to Monday, in case you are interested.

I find this amazing. The Acorn group buy the Shennanigans in Pattaya, make a complete mess of running it, close it down, and move on to Shennanigans in Jomtien. First move sack the manager, who has been there for a few years, and by all accounts is pretty popular and doing a decent job.

So is anyone taking any bets on how long it will be before jomtien closes down. You have to ask if the people behind this group have ever run a pub/restaurant in their lives or if they are just successful businesmen in other fields, who think running such a place is easy. I have run bars for many years and believe me it is not easy, especially here when dealing with staff of a completely different culture. But the aim is still the same,"Customer Satisfaction". If you don't achieve that then you will fail.

But it is not just the Acorn group that don't seem to be able to run a bar/restaurant properly. Another great example is the Marriot/Minor group who run Dicey Reilly's. Despite being a world reknowned company famous for it's service and hospitality, they just can't seem to make a success of a small bar, in a popular holiday resort. Boggling.

But it is not just the Acorn group that don't seem to be able to run a bar/restaurant properly. Another great example is the Marriot/Minor group who run Dicey Reilly's. Despite being a world reknowned company famous for it's service and hospitality, they just can't seem to make a success of a small bar, in a popular holiday resort. Boggling.

In regards to Diceys, they have improved significantly with the new Director of Operations taking over and a new F&B manager, a lot of changes/improvements have been made, including the decking out the front where food and drinks are now served and very popular, a new sound system is going in for the band as the current one is not so good. A lot of specials are being done and I tried them and they are well priced and good quality meals.

bazmlb, with the greatest respect everyone on here knows after you praised dicey's burger special on here on another topic that you are a friend of the guy that runs dicey's and that you are slightly biassed. I have no problem with that. But one special doesn't make a great bar, and the more specials you have to promote, then the less confident that you are in the bars ability to stand on it's reputation.

The fact is that dicey's promotes itself as a Pub/Restaurant/Sports bar, but in actual fact the whole layout and price structure of the bar is wrong. If you want to be a busy restaurant, why would you put a very large circular bar smack bang in the middle of your main selling area, and lose two thirds of your space. The bar should have been placed on the wall opposite the kitchens. That way people who wanted to watch sport would not have to walk past dining tables to get to the bar.

As for the prices of your drinks, the last time i was in there i was charged 130 baht for a pint of tiger, i can get that same pint anywhere in pattaya for a maximum of 99 baht, but far worse was being charged 80 baht for a bottle of water.I would love you to tell me how many people who come in for the nightly specials, actually stay on to buy drinks at the none special prices. I would guess very few.

I applaud you for putting up decking outside, but I don't think that this will impact to much on your trade. At the end of the day you are a trying to promote yourself as a bar that is also showing sports from all over the world, but you are charging top hotel prices for your drinks. As i said how many customers after they have eaten the specials actually stay to watch sports, and pay the inflated drink prices.

• Like 2

Regarding the Avenue and all the closed shops the fact is all of the closed and boarded up shops actually have 30 year leases on them which were prepaid at very cheap rates prior to the construction of the Avenue but unlike most shopping centre contracts there was no clause stating they had to open for trade everyday otherwise they would lose their lease. Siam Futures the owners of the centre have tried several times now in court to remove these lease owners but the court has ruled in favour of the lease owners just another reason why California WOW site is still not leased. So what you have is a load of lease squatters who are holding the centre to ransom by demanding ridiculous sub lease rates for their sites rather than open them. The contracts were sold and contracted by a very high profile property firm in Pattaya well before the centre opened who used contracts that did not force shop keeper's to open or lose their lease. Another reason why they simply couldn't demolish the site and start again as one would suggest.

Your excuse is getting boring, don't you tire of flogging a dead horse? The Avenue has been a dead duck from the day it was conceived . An open air high class mall in a Tropical country. I think I would prefer to invest my money in pixy dust.

You have now made so many posts defending the place it is no longer even funny, please stop.

• Like 1

Your excuse is getting boring, don't you tire of flogging a dead horse? The Avenue has been a dead duck from the day it was conceived . An open air high class mall in a Tropical country. I think I would prefer to invest my money in pixy dust.

You have now made so many posts defending the place it is no longer even funny, please stop.

No

bazmlb, with the greatest respect everyone on here knows after you praised dicey's burger special on here on another topic that you are a friend of the guy that runs dicey's and that you are slightly biassed. I have no problem with that. But one special doesn't make a great bar, and the more specials you have to promote, then the less confident that you are in the bars ability to stand on it's reputation.

The fact is that dicey's promotes itself as a Pub/Restaurant/Sports bar, but in actual fact the whole layout and price structure of the bar is wrong. If you want to be a busy restaurant, why would you put a very large circular bar smack bang in the middle of your main selling area, and lose two thirds of your space. The bar should have been placed on the wall opposite the kitchens. That way people who wanted to watch sport would not have to walk past dining tables to get to the bar.

As for the prices of your drinks, the last time i was in there i was charged 130 baht for a pint of tiger, i can get that same pint anywhere in pattaya for a maximum of 99 baht, but far worse was being charged 80 baht for a bottle of water.I would love you to tell me how many people who come in for the nightly specials, actually stay on to buy drinks at the none special prices. I would guess very few.

I applaud you for putting up decking outside, but I don't think that this will impact to much on your trade. At the end of the day you are a trying to promote yourself as a bar that is also showing sports from all over the world, but you are charging top hotel prices for your drinks. As i said how many customers after they have eaten the specials actually stay to watch sports, and pay the inflated drink prices.

Baz is actually sells advertising for Thai Visa site maybe that's the motivation - tic toc tic toc till this gets deleted

Dicey Reilly's ....... but far worse was being charged 80 baht for a bottle of water.I would love you to tell me how many people who come in for the nightly specials, actually stay on to buy drinks at the none special prices. I would guess very few.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks 80B for a small bottle of water is a total rip-off.

I would like to know how many people who eat the fairly good quality and reasonably-priced food at Dicey's are so appalled by the drinks prices that they never return. I count for one.

I think part of the problem with the Avenue is that because of the design from the ground floor you cant see what (if anything) is on the upper floors.

I noticed this particularly with the Acorn as I could never be a*sed to climb up all those steps to read their menu.

Baz is actually sells advertising for Thai Visa site maybe that's the motivation - tic toc tic toc till this gets deleted

Your right, I sell advertising here, however, the objective was to give praise where I thought it was due to a business that has grown, would they ever advertise here? probably hard to get that one and the hotels occupancy is near 100% right now.

As for the avenue, some shops are still going ok there www.the-party-shop.com

Your right, I sell advertising here, however, the objective was to give praise where I thought it was due to a business that has grown, would they ever advertise here? probably hard to get that one and the hotels occupancy is near 100% right now.

Scratching Seadoo's back ?laugh.png