Khao Yai hikers warned of flash floods

webfact

Khao Yai hikers warned of flash floods
Kasem Chanathinaj
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- In the face of growing risk of flash floods, Khao Yai National Park has warned tourists to immediately move to higher ground if they notice that the water around waterfalls is turning murky.

The warnings follow a report by police in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district yesterday that local resident Udon Sodmai drowned in a flash flood while out searching for food in the forest during heavy downpours.

The warnings are being broadcast via the park's internal radio system.

The national park's chief, Krissada Homsamud, yesterday said officials were keeping tabs on the number of hikers and recording their cell-phone numbers before allowing them to go hiking for safety reasons.

"We have rapid-deployment teams on standby. If anything happens, rescue operations will start immediately," he said.

Meanwhile, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department has warned people in 47 provinces to brace for heavy downpours and possible landslides.

Among the provinces most at risk are Kanchanaburi, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Nayok, Chachoengsao, Sukhothai, Chumphon, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai and Satun.

Small fishing trawlers were advised against going out to sea in the upper part of the Gulf of Thailand due to rough weather and waves that are several metres high.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-14

Even though I feel very sorry for the man who died, it's questionable what he was doing there.

Looking for food in the forest is a friendly way of describing that he was actually poaching. The rules of these parks clearly state that no collecting of any animals or plant material is allowed.

I know very well that most of these poachers are not the real bad guys - I've met a few on my hikes in the different parks; was even helped out by 3 Thai poachers after I got lost, and found them at night, somewhere in the middle of nowhere -, though these kind of 'food-poachers' make up most of the poachers in these jungles, and do cause significant trouble by reducing the prey species, which makes surviving for the carnivores even harder.

But of course it's easy to judge it, I'm aware that it's hard enough for most of these people to make a living, and when living near a forest where your father and grandfather used to walk in to collect food - possibly in times that it was not illegal - it's easy to follow the example and walk in there and collect dinner. And perhaps sell a bit on the local market.

It actually only makes the situation more sad, now another family lost a cost-winner...

Back on topic, it's also questionable if there is any need for a warning tourists for flash-floods. Most tourists don't visit Khao Yai from the Wang Nam Khieo area. Wang Nam Khieo is popular, but not entering Khao Yai from that area.

Look out for murky water... Many of Khao Yai's main rivers look murky, especially in this season.

What am I trying to say? Nothing really, excuse me for the interuption.

• Like 1

Even though I feel very sorry for the man who died, it's questionable what he was doing there.

Looking for food in the forest is a friendly way of describing that he was actually poaching. The rules of these parks clearly state that no collecting of any animals or plant material is allowed.

I know very well that most of these poachers are not the real bad guys - I've met a few on my hikes in the different parks; was even helped out by 3 Thai poachers after I got lost, and found them at night, somewhere in the middle of nowhere -, though these kind of 'food-poachers' make up most of the poachers in these jungles, and do cause significant trouble by reducing the prey species, which makes surviving for the carnivores even harder.

But of course it's easy to judge it, I'm aware that it's hard enough for most of these people to make a living, and when living near a forest where your father and grandfather used to walk in to collect food - possibly in times that it was not illegal - it's easy to follow the example and walk in there and collect dinner. And perhaps sell a bit on the local market.

It actually only makes the situation more sad, now another family lost a cost-winner...

Back on topic, it's also questionable if there is any need for a warning tourists for flash-floods. Most tourists don't visit Khao Yai from the Wang Nam Khieo area. Wang Nam Khieo is popular, but not entering Khao Yai from that area.

Look out for murky water... Many of Khao Yai's main rivers look murky, especially in this season.

What a load of dribble !. Who on this earth has the right to tell some one else what they can or can not do ?. The world belongs to us all and not to the so called governments. If this guy was hunting in his rightful hunting ground, then he was doing no wrong !. Pen pushing law makers destroy lives and nature !.

If you love the law so much, Why don't you put on a brown shirt, and brown trousers, and stop children who are on their way to school,on motor bikes. You can take their dinner money, Get fat and watch them starve.

What a load of dribble !. Who on this earth has the right to tell some one else what they can or can not do ?. The world belongs to us all and not to the so called governments. If this guy was hunting in his rightful hunting ground, then he was doing no wrong !. Pen pushing law makers destroy lives and nature !.

If you love the law so much, Why don't you put on a brown shirt, and brown trousers, and stop children who are on their way to school,on motor bikes. You can take their dinner money, Get fat and watch them starve.

Your medication isn't working. Laws are enacted for the greater good of all. They are not solely oppressive; they more often than not are protective. It is a more peaceful world when everybody is singing using the same hymnbook.

Your medication isn't working. Laws are enacted for the greater good of all. They are not solely oppressive; they more often than not are protective. It is a more peaceful world when everybody is singing using the same hymnbook.

Are you an Evangelist ?. I am an Atheist and I know what I see and don't believe what I am told !.

• 3 weeks later...

You've probably misunderstood my load of dribble. Which is most likely my fault and not yours. I don't blame you.

I'm the last person who likes laws and rules, but it doesn't mean that anyone should just be able to do what he or she wants. I can't really agree with somebody breaking into my house and taking all my stuff without leaving a note where he or she brought it to, just because he or she wants to. And even if he or she left a note, I would not be happy with it. That has nothing to do with any official government-applied rules/ laws. It's just a bit of common sense and respect for others and our environment.

So even though this world belongs to all, we don't all have to go out there and destroy it. The biggest problem in this world is the large population of people. And we should all be responsible for maintaining a pleasant environment for everyone, instead of taking everything we can. Reducing the population would be the best option, but just like everybody else I'm too selfish to give my life for it.

It was not really my intention to judge the behaviour of the guy who went out poaching and drowned, even though I surely don't approve it. I just thought the way they had put it in the article was unusual. If there had not been a flash flood, but a group of rangers patrolling and arresting the guy, the article would definitely have stated that he was a poacher. It doesn't change anything on what the victim was doing. That's media. And I suppose we have to live with that.

As I said it's all a very sad situation, and it would be great if this could have been prevented. You can't stop flash floods, but I'm sure that most of these 'food-collectors' would rather choose a full-time job than going out in the jungle to catch their food. But I know it's a difficult problem, but it would be great if we could all together solve it somehow. And in that point of view, it is probably better not to call the guy a poacher, just a cost winner with few other options.

And exactly in the same line of what you were saying, i don't like the protective laws that prevent us from doing what we want. Like the signs in Khao Yai saying 'No swimming' (or actually in most cases, 'No swiming'). Please, give people the freedom/ responsibility to choose for themselves if they would like to drown or not.

End of another shit load of dribble...

Edited by onflipflops

The atheist who thinks that people should be able to go where they like, do what the like and kill what they like should go over the river to Lao sometime.

There the bird life has all gone into someone's cooking pot, in the whole country you are hard put to see even one bird.

I saw half a dozen sparrows on one of the 4,000 islands and later a mist net hanging up so someone else knew they were there, can you imagine eating a sparrow? Well that's what that net was there to try to catch.

I asked about trips into one of the national parks where I thought there would be birds and was told that you had to go at least 2 days into the park before you would see any birds at all, and animals, not a chance.

Is this what you want for Thailand?

The wildlife gone completely, because killing and eating it is someone's traditional way of life from the past.

Things are different now than in the past we are no longer a hunter gatherer society and laws are needed to prevent those who would go into what is the last refuge of many animal species and kill them for whatever reason.

• 1 month later...

I think the use of "murky" must have been an error by the journalist who wrote the article. Should probably have said something on the lines of "violent" - hard to think of a word to describe agitation in water but sure there must be some. Maybe torrential?

As another poster pointed out, all the rivers are brown mud at this time of year so murky does not work.